Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Oh well, there it goes down the drain. It was fun while it lasted.
  2. Shiladie

Well, I've just canceled my membership, It's a sad day, but I can't justify paying a yearly subscription as I have been when this is happening.

I had hopes, even after the buy-out, but with this there is no reason to believe the game is gonna be supported at all for PC beyond a skeleton crew. they laid off Katherine Anderson, the build master for ***** sake. You don't lay off the build master unless you're not expecting to do any major updates with any level of frequency.
    • Up x 4
  3. Squirrelking

Two years in and you still think any major updates were forthcoming?
    • Up x 1
  4. Dj Gus

Just read the news about the layed off devs...
    Columbus Nova... Another "company" made up of bankers who will most likely take all the money they ever make to their graves...
    Probably was " A tough decision"... Freakin glorified loan sharks... * wags finger *
  5. Rraymondo316

If the console players have any sense they wont spend any money on this game when/if its released

The investmant firm in charge are just gonna milk this game for all the money they can get then can it or sell it

The game is being put into maintenaince mode.......we sure as hell wont be getting anymore new content!!

Heck the project manager for this game has just been let go https://twitter.com/dcarey7761/status/565705863210749954
  6. 13arracuda

Game company changes name, assures customer nothing's going to change, lays off a bunch of people the next day. #seemstrustworthy
    • Up x 4
  7. Archiadus

Here's a serious question for you RadarX,

After all that's happened over the past few days can you still honestly say that "It will be business as usual and all SOE games will continue on their current path of development and operation" and that you really do have "even more resources available to us as a result of this acquisition." ? Are you still pleased with being sold to Columbus Nova?

From my perspective it's looking grim, devs getting fired left and right with no news of any replacements being brought in to make up for the loss of activity on a game that's been rather slow at producing / fixing new content.* :(

*I'm not implying that nothing has been added or fixed in the past year.
    • Up x 2
  8. maxkeiser

My biggest problem at the moment is that PS2 is totally unique. There is nowhere else to go if you want to play a game like PS2.

BF2 and BF2142 were the closest in spirit, but they lack the massive scale and persistence of PS2.

I'm worried that in the current age of console dumbing down nonsense, we will be lucky to see a game like PS2 ever again!

:(
    • Up x 5
  9. NomaDz

I'm also a console player and the fact is that a game like PS2 doesn't exist on the PS4 let alone any other console. Futhermore DBG are more than likely to make a greater profit with PS2 on the PS4 compared to the PC version, this already happened with DCUO. Infact DCUO gave them a 70% revenue on the PS3 alone.

Personally if i wanted some form of revenue from PS2 now, i'd release an open beta on PS4 ASAP and allow people to openly invest if they so wish too.This happened in DUST 514 on the PS3, CCP allowed people to make ingame purchases to use in the open beta and carried their purchases for the final version/end product. This automatically gained them that little extra support to provide the final version of the game on the market.

Basically what i'm saying is, it's perfectly fine to support a product IF IT'S BEING SUPPORTED (IF THEY CONTINUE DEVELOPMENT). If not well wave good bye to any CA$H opportunities...

There is also another thing, most console games cost around $60, the majority of console players which enjoy a F2P game are more than likely to spend the same amount over time, if not alot more, due to the fact that most games on console require a season pass to have all (if not the majority) the DLCs and expansion packs. So realistically console players spend on average $80-100 on a title which they like due to season passes, dlc, expansions etc etc.

People will spend money on the PS4 version if they like the game. If DBG need to demonstrate profit, i'd suggest they release an Open beta and give people the option to invest in their game, that is if they still want to save it. If their product is profitable, CN will probably invest in it's development, if not....well I guess that's pretty obvious :)
  10. ZZYZX

Spot on.
  11. ZZYZX

Honestly, PS2 was already dead. I'm not sure what further proof you need than what's in front of you.

We have a re-skinned clone of PS1, that's been out for 2 years, with virtually ZERO original or new content.

...the end.
  12. NomaDz

Well, U sure you're a PS1 VET?
    re-skinned clone? so what happened to the OTHER 7 maps from the original ? PS1 had 10 maps...
    Where did they pull out INDAR? Let me guess VS learn how terraforming...
    Did we miss some global change in Auraxis?
    Home Continents

Neutral Continents

So it took them 2 years just to make hossin :rolleyes:

"with virtually ZERO original or new content." Infact alot of things went missing from PS1 > PS2 Oups Look above they even removed Home Continents and the TR,NC and VS Sanctuary.

The only thing PS2 represents of PS1 is the large scale battle system.
    There were so many things from PS1 they could have kept and made better :mad:
  13. Yuki10

And they STILL don't get it, even after lay offs started...Instead of twitting and going on reddit - how about coming here and talking to people? How about ANSWERING questions that players have? Or you know, maybe giving explanation - "we are understaffed and overworked with PS4 release so we can't dedicated resources to PC version, but in 6 month that will change because XYZ?"

Maybe some people would end up thinking - "ok, so the game sucks, but it has potential and at least devs are TALKING to players here...Maybe i should support them?"

Let me repeat - No communication = NO memberships/support.
    • Up x 3
  14. NomaDz

Yep they even fired some people which would communicate updates to us...keeping us in the dark can force people away due to the lack of communication on their behalf.

I said it before, i'll say it again, if they need some revenue - do the following:
    1. Release the PS4 Open BETA, Allow people to make purchases which will carry on to the final version to help sustain costs. This will help them finish the product and release the PS4 version.
    2. With the PS4 version on the market, people will most probably invest more cash into PS2 on the PS4 and this in turn will also help cover the development of the PC version.
    It's the only logical solution i can find to this situation, they must demonstrate that PS2 is a profitable form of income for CN to gain their support.

Look at it this way, if you know that an investment is profitable, then you have even more reason to invest more in the product to increase your profit to a greater level.;)
    • Up x 1
  15. MuNrOe

Called it.
    Well there ya go..........

Business as usual hu what a huge steaming pile of mess.
  16. Kirppu1

I don't care about the continents as much as i care about the stuff like ANTS and DIFFERING GAMEPLAY
    DBG should just think about bringing the oldies back by introducing stuff like ANTS and along with them a gun or two because let's be honest newbies aren't going to come here as much as oldies would and by offering something "new" like ANTS and intercontinental lock (it's old, yes but it doesn't matter, it's better than what we have now) would benefit them and us.

Also there is the Performance problem that indicates that there is something horribly like really badly wrong with the engine, because it doesn't seem to matter how many polys and textures they get rid of it still doesn't get better. In fact i myself am running the game worse than performance patch 1

People KNOW this game exist they just won't play it because it's a time machine that is stuck in the past and this is what Wrel and Zoran pointed out and the dev were basically like:"Yeah, yeah good points but nothing is going to happen" and this is a shame because from my POV the game is as alive as the "pet" spider i had on my stairs(miss ya freddy) and it really feels sad, like really really sad because i saw the potential and i have put considerable amount of money to the game

Pic related
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  17. Kirppu1

Yep, show give us stuff like ants and a option to pay with paysafe and have the paysafe to be used in allaccess
  18. NomaDz

K and how do U expect them to do all this without FUNDS ? They just sacked alot of people to save cash, so it's pretty obvious that they are broke . So how will they get the FUNDs to do this and not appear as a liability for CN?:oops:
    • Up x 1
  19. Crator

What if the people who were sacked had bloated salaries and getting rid of them will allow them to hire double the people needed to develop further? People keep speaking doom and gloom without knowing the full story....
    • Up x 2
  20. haldolium

Well, it is not the case apparently. Also your assumption sounds rather naive in the way such investment firms run the games industry. Especially when entirely sold, it usually means the beginning of the end.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/236266/Layoffs_sweep_SOE_as_it_transitions_to_Daybreak.php

PS2 as probably one of the lesser profitable endevours will be shut down in a forseeable future.