Something ANYTHING needs to be done to make Air less powerful vs infantry

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ClonedCommando, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Gobmi

One big thing would be to disable thermal for ESF. They can't shoot what they can't see.

I would like to see valkyrie more as a gunship helicopter that supports infantry.

ESF's air2air only.
  2. Moonheart

Aircrafts? There are such things?

As a non-MAX user, I always thought I got killed by random meteorite falls (nicknamed "Ravens") that have just to be ignored as a random annoyance you can't do anything against...
  3. eldarfalcongravtank

i am wondering whether you play a Wargame title (RTS/RTT game series set in the cold war). in that game, you have longrange radar-based AA that is extremely effective against any kind of aircraft (fast-moving, low-altitude, etc) but can be easily taken out by special weaponry (anti-radar missiles) which are ONLY effective against this kind of AA and not effective against anything else.

if you bring this kind of concept over to PS2, this could work out really well and offer some interesting room for tactics:
    - longrange radar-based Sunderer-AA could lock down an entire air space (its missiles would one-shot ESFs and two-shot Libs/Gals)
    - on the other hand, ESFs with anti-radar missiles could take out Sunderer-AA but would be ineffective against anything else (fair tradeoff)
    • Up x 1
  4. Ianneman

If Prowlers had less vertical aiming restriction... Oh well.
  5. stalkish

Typical air run nets you KILLS.
    This is an FPS game, people play for kills, lets not get this part mixed up.
    Problem people have with anti-air is that it rarely nets you KILLS.
    So as a dedicated anit air tank (skyguard) you give up your ability to kill ground units effectively but also apparently dont get the ability to kill air units effectively either.
    But hey, you get to 'deter' enemy air so all is good right?

I will again request the actual skyguard be implemented, an increase of power is justified by its 2 manned status. I picture it as weak as a stock harasser armour wise, no composite avail and as fast as racer harasser (needs this as it cannot fight ground vehicles). Whether is gets coax guns would have to be tested.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  6. QQmore

Air isn't OP. Stop crying and use a lock on launcher. They are very effective. If the air is so thick that 2 people with locks can't clear the air try something else.

A dual walker blockade sundy is incredibly difficult for air to kill and will shred any air unit that tries to line up an air strike. Use a little thought and quit whining.

Or perhaps learn to fly and kill them in their own territory, or pull a burster max, or use a skyguard, or use a phalanx turret. There are tons of hard counters to air, it's just that the plebs are lazy and refuse to be proactive so they come to the forums to whine about whatever happened to kill them that day....pathetic.
    • Up x 1
  7. ValorousBob

I used to be a dedicated ESF pilot and I actually agree with this, there's no reason ESFs need A2G abilities.
    • Up x 1
  8. ColonelChingles

I do. :D

One of the best mechanics in the game is that it is pretty difficult for aircraft to even see ground targets. You can fly them around but you'll likely miss out on things on the ground. So unless you know something is there, aircraft can't really target it (unless they happen to be flying really close).

I also like how you can "switch off" your radar, rendering your SAMs harmless (lol pun) but also protecting them from anti-radiation missiles. And how there are many different types of missiles in the game.

Developing a complex air-ground ecosystem would be a great thing. Wargame is awesome because you're not limited to one unit or one role to do a job... and that complexity rewards teamwork.

That's why in my signature I have... 9 AA vehicle suggestions? Do you really need 9? Probably not. But having 9 different ones with advantages and disadvantages each means that you can get a really interesting AA battery going!