Somebody has to say this...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by No0T, Oct 8, 2017.

1. No0T

It is ridiculous that air crafts move so slow that a tank can hit them... Either tanks should not be able to move their cannons as fast or the air crafts should be faster.

Also if the air craft were faster turning they would be a lot more fun.
  2. LordKrelas

Those tanks need that rotation & elevation speed - they have limited elevation... learn to not fly level to the ground.
    As well, if aircraft were any faster, they'd barely load in before they'd unleash fatal firepower.

As well, Tank shell velocity is already slow.
    Aircraft in this game, already move faster than anything else.

Then again, this is a Noot thread.
    • Up x 10
  3. FateJH

I say we just turn off gravity and let Infantry fly.
    • Up x 13
  4. Lamat

As a pilot, if I get hit with a tank shell, I know I deserved it, it really only happens when you hover too low for ground kills. And thus where not even using your full speed in the first place.

But go figure how a tank shell can OHK an ESF but not infantry...
    • Up x 7
  5. No0T

HMp... I don't think you know what i am talking about, you condescending unaware kid, is exactly about the whole limitation to shoot high... making aircraft have to be actually flying high... which makes them in turn ridiculously visible and 0 play-ability...

If the tanks had actually slower rotation we would have more fun playing aircraft because we could be flying lower... where obstacles would make the air fight more interesting.
  6. No0T

Stop thinking square and as a competitive Betta trying to look good and try to understand the change what I am talking about is REALISM and FUN. You see if tanks cannot surrealistically turn the cannon so fast we could fly lower as it is in real life to avoid BOTH visibility and shoots from other air crafts...

Cant believe how you two don't understand how basic and stupid dumb is to assume what you say is not obvious.
  7. LordKrelas

You obviously aren't aware that every aircraft in PS2 is a VTOL aircraft that has no motive to fly high in combat.
    What motive beyond traveling, do you have to fly at a height where you aren't past the elevation limit of every single tank.

More fun playing aircraft, whom can hover above the tank presently?
    Like my gods man, I know you are an idiot but you obviously can't notice how much you have to let a tank be able to aim at you.
    Like, that's basically hover 10-20 meters above the bloody ground.
    If you reduce the rotation speed, you make them incapable of targeting harassers & infantry.
    • Up x 1
  8. Bansheedragon75

As a frequent pilot of the Lightning I can say that hitting an air unit with a tank shell requires a lot of skill or a lot of luck, and it requires the pilot of the air unit to fly low enough that you can actually hit.

If you want to talk ridiculous, why dont we talk about how dedicated AA weapons cannot effectively deter air units from coming in.
    I see it all the time, where air units such as the Valkyrie and Galaxy files in to drop off troops all the wile being bombarded by AA and are still able to fly off repair and come back.
    Or that air units can "park" so high up that no AA gun can effectively hit them.
    Not to mention that a mosquito or reaver can fly in with rocket pods and obliterate any AA vehicle with that AA vehicle not having a snowballs chance in hell to take out the air unit or at least get them to abort their attack.

Having played with both the Skyguard and the walker I have seen this countless times.
    I can empty a full clip into an air unit and still have it come at me, fire its rocket and kill me in a single pass while I'm trying to reload.
    At the very least it should make the pilot think twice about continuing with their attack unless they are on a suicide run.
    • Up x 5
  9. Kdog559

Well we are in the year 2650 something? I think tanks have been upgraded to be able to move their cannons faster now but in 2017 they were slow as hell.
  10. Dethonlegs

Can confirm... The last two weeks on Emerald (YouBadSoSad) I've downed nearly as many ESF's as tanks. There are just so many in the sky of late. Kinda sad that my magrider does a better job at AA than all the other G2A options.

I'm loving the salty tells. Keep 'em coming!
    • Up x 2
  11. Insignus

This is a non-issue. If you've been hit by a tank shell, than you should accept your licks and learn as a pilot. Let the Tank have the credit for it.
    • Up x 3
  12. DIGGSAN0

I don't understand that logic anymore...first you play Infiltrator and flame and blame everything around you and do suggest ridiculous things...

Now you try out somehow the Aircraft which is a absolutely special scene itself and you do the same...

People already did give very good hints about that but you do just plain ignore them.

What does come as next? Do you suddendly decide to play flash and flame that you can't kill MBT's?

I have the feeling like you just come to the forums to get rid of your frustration.
    • Up x 4
  13. Drascalicus

Quite honestly, I love pegging Galaxies. They are weaker now against damage, which I find as a boost in my prowler. ESFs, so far as I know however, can't be 1 hit by a prowler, unlike every other AP tank in the game.

To hit an ESF as a tank, you need to have either AP or a lot of luck, be stationed on a hill usually so you can shoot up, and more luck still to hit on that is weaving back and forth, and a good sense of where the ESF is in relation to you, and all the trajectory calculations you just have to eyeball. It is not easy.
  14. ColonelChingles

In reality tanks can hit low-moving aircraft with their main guns.

[IMG]

This is the H-7 target that tanks use on gunnery ranges. It represents the frontal image of an attack helicopter, in this case an Mi-24 Hind. So long as the aircraft is within the elevation of the gun (~22 degrees for the M1A2), tanks are capable of hitting them.

Tank shells also travel much faster and flatter in real life as well:
    PS2 120mm AP Velocity- 250m/s
    IRL 120mm DM53 APFSDS Velocity- 1,750m/s

On top of that, the M803A1 HEAT round even has an "air attack" mode where it turns into a giant 120mm proximity shell. Tankers don't even need to hit to make scrap metal out of aircraft.

[IMG]

So actually we would be making it easier for tanks to down aircraft with their main guns if we were being realistic about it. I think tests in the 1980's had tanks hitting an air target 80% of the time... when it was moving 300km/h. With modern fire control systems, any aircraft flying that low should pretty much be dead.
    • Up x 7
  15. oTec

Not going to lie, that looks badass and very scary at the same time.
    • Up x 4
  16. adamts01

vvhat a terrible idea
  17. Demigan

Its ridiculous that people expect an aircraft costing less than 600 dollars (when compared to genades or C4) to actually perform as well as a 150+ million dollar aircraft that has a literal cost of tenthousand to hundredthousands of dollars per flight hour, not to mention ammunition thats free rather than costing a minimum of 1500 dollars per piece.
    Hell, even if you compare the tank to the aircraft its unfair. The tank can range from 8million for older tanks to 20million, ehich is still waaay less than a full aircraft.

You could compare it to current developments though. To replace things like the A10 thunderbolt they are looking at turboprop planes that even with current tech are slower than the earliest jet plane. But the advatages in cost, loiter time, total flight time, cost per flighthour, maintenance time, debris resistance and cost/effectiveness of ammunition (current aircraft often use overkill in cost and firepower for their target) is well worth it (when used for the intended CAS role). Ofcourse considering turboprop planes werent immune to being shot down by non-dedicated weapons... But it is closer to a PS2 anology than trying to shoehorn multi-million dollar plane capabilities and firepower on a 600 dollar aircraft that costs nothing to maintain or arm.
  18. Demigan

I doubt it.

First of all, outside of test environments weapons like the sidewinder would have a much lower accuracy rating. Even when facing inferior older aircraft with little to no countermeasures the accuracy dropped to 50%.
    Additionally, your tank is a 600 dollar tank. The fact that it can actually fire without ripping itself apart, carry armor or even get off its spot is a miracle. Dont try to give it 15 million dollar tank traits, especially considering you can repair your tank in seconds even if it was burning and without special tools like a full-fledged hangar or that you can rearm 100% free ammunition in a minute or that you cant experience a mobility/firepower kill or drive infinitely.

And you dare say the infantry get all the advantages...?
  19. Pikachu

I find this a bit bewildering. I thought HEAT shells would be durable enough to not break apart when they detonate as to force the gases forward and push the copper blob. Rather than having the shell break and the gases spread in all directions. o_O

Btw that Mi-24 Hind got to be the most iconic military helicopter. :D

About ESF speed, maybe give them a travel mode like suggested for MAXes.
  20. BrbImAFK

What I don't understand is why anybody takes this dude seriously (because he's clearly bonkers) or tries to use logic and rational thought to reason with him (since he never listens to a thing anybody else says).

Seriously, people... just ignore these stupid threads and let them vanish into the obscurity they deserve!
    • Up x 3