[Suggestion] Some Thoughts on Map Design

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AllRoundGoodGuy, Aug 10, 2017.

1. AllRoundGoodGuy

Most agree that the lattice system is the better of two evils, hex being worse because it promotes ghost capping. However, the problem with lattice is that it kinda forces people to play at the same place over and over again. (how many fights on Esamir revolve around that tech plant?) Vehicle users don't feel like they have a lot to do other than mindlessly shell a base while it's being capped, (particularly when you have a distinct pop advantage).

Here is my main thought on this, remove 95% of the bases, make some giant bases (not sure how big, but at least the size of a bio-tech-amp combined) and remove the redeploy option, or make a huge cool-down on it's use.. With this implemented, vehicles will have a role in the transport of troops from the bases, and vehicles can have giant battles between the bases when the opposing force tries to do the same.

Making the bases bigger would understandably make them harder to cap, but would make them much more fun to play at. The amp station is my favorite base to defend bar none. It has multiple exit points for the defenders, making spawn-camping difficult, attackers can get their sundys in weird spots in that base, making it harder to root them out.

With this system implemented, both infantry and vehicle users have more to do.

Disclaimer: I have not played since the lattice upgrade patch, so I am not sure how Indar plays in that regard.
  2. FateJH

When you only have one Tech Plant on a continent, that's what happens.
    That's not a decadence emerging from adoption of the Lattice. That's just always happened where allowed by base design.
    And harder to defend.

Making bases larger is a fine idea but, by itself, isn't a full solution. Unless you make the newly expanded bases meaningful in the places where they were expanded, players will just pass over those areas and still focus on the important spots alone.
    • Up x 1
  3. LegendarySalmonSnake

Funny enough on Cobalt it feels like people avoid Eisa and the Waterson-Mattherson-Searro triangle of doom but not a day goes by without atleast 2/3 active biofarms if Esamir is open anywhere near peak.
  4. Demigan

Rather than do something that would take 2 years to complete and then have a doubtful outcome, shouldn't you be looking at lower effort and risk changes?

For example, an overhaul of vehicle weapons like adding Co-ax guns and some CQC abilities against infantry to encourage tanks to get close, and some of these things like co-ax guns have been coded before. And at the same time give infantry the AV tools to actually deal with tanks? Then you could remove a few obstacles around every base to allow vehicles to go toe-to-toe with infantry inside the base and the problem has been solved!
    • Up x 1
  5. CapEnTrade

96vs96 Crown 24/7 please. It's the most fun and everyone knows it.
    • Up x 2