Some Planetside 2 statistics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CupBoy, Feb 25, 2013.

1. St0mpy

per server breakdown of actives?
  2. Albatross039

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  3. Roxputin

Great work. I would be interested in seeing per character score/min.
  4. CupBoy

Added a few more MBT score per hour numbers, this time using the weekly stats. It still seems like the Vanguard is underperforming compared to the other two tanks:

Code:
    Faction  Avg. MBT score/hr (1 week)    Characters w/ MBT time > 1 hour
    NC            4,162.96                              33,325
    TR            5,194.91                              35,687
    VS            5,176.92                              30,207
    Overall       4,842.83                              99,219

This is based on only those characters that have played in a MBT for 1+ hours (99,219 characters total). Overall, 281,307 characters have a play time of 1+ hours in the weekly stats. This is in line with the other activity stats that show just short of ~300,000 "active" characters currently.
  5. St0mpy

any chance of seeing some per server activity stats?

6. CupBoy

When I get time to look at it again, maybe. Perhaps I'll run some per-server stats on a smaller sample and extrapolate from that. The API takes a really long time to get the server<->character connections so pulling the entire population would take ages.
  7. Areski

Thanks for considering it. The MBT score per hour allows for an interesting conclusion about balance (Vanguard 80% as effective as prowler and magrider) and hopefully a question as to whether pulling a tank should allow someone to get 66% more points per hour. Thanks again for crunching the numbers.
  8. Qaz

These are interesting! Is there any way to filter out boosts people have equipped? Also, would there be any chance to get a comparison for players with > 25 and >50h (i.e., veterans)?

maybe kills/hour per mbt could be a metric that helps with taking boosts out of the equation?
  9. CupBoy

Not that I can see. I don't know if that would be that interesting either. Boosts should be evenly distributed across factions so they would only change the absolute numbers, not their relative sizes.

Maybe. From what I could see, filtering for higher ranked characters or characters with more play time just made all the numbers a bit higher. Maybe I'll do another run just to be sure.
  10. Skullface360

Yeah like TR isn't the new easy mode. Please...
    • Up x 1
  11. NoctD

Apparently not if you look at the statistics and graph plots... all your recent Vanu deserters rerolled as NC!
    • Up x 1
  12. Syylara

Active players/active players (BR 10+), VS lowest
    Average hours played: VS lowest
    Server Distribution: VS dominating all but 1 server (Waterson)

While your sample sizes would indicate the margin of error should be miniscule, these numbers don't reconcile at all.

Was your server distribution sample a snapshot or taken over a time interval? If so, how long was the window and what time of day/adjusted for time zones?

We cannot simultaneously have the least active players, the lowest average hours played and yet be the most populous faction.
  13. Lord Robert

Goes to show you the importance of proper testing, and the benefits of a public test server.
  14. CupBoy

Sure you can.

There is however a discrepancy between the server distribution sample and faction distribution on the "Faction" tab. The sample showed that VS had a significantly higher population - something the numbers on the "Faction" tab don't agree with. I'm trying to find the cause (pulling some new data right now).

The server distribution sample was based on all characters whose names start with "z" (I think..). Character names shouldn't influence any of the values so that should give a good cross section of the full population.

Edit: Just to clarify - the server distribution numbers do not take activity into account. Those are all characters, active as well as inactive.
  15. Syylara

Care to show me the math on how a smaller number of people playing less frequently leads to a higher factional population?

I'm talking about average total participation, not occasional outlier periods of 15-20 minutes here and there.

Ahh, there's the wrinkle. So this figure is basically more of a 'total characters created by faction on each server' than an indicator of factional activity levels.

I'd be interested to see factional distribution of active players by server. There are some interesting things to extrapolate from the total characters created such as that apparently the retention rate of VS players is much lower than other factions (at least for those players who used a name starting with 'Z' :9)

More characters created and then subsequently abanoned, either from leaving the game entirely or finding another faction more appealing, is certainly a concern that should be looked in to. Considering that we apparently have a huge lead in total characters created yet have never held better than 2nd place on a majority of servers means there's a significantly higher level of abandonment than anyone else.
  16. CupBoy

Yeah, I'll be doing activity by server stats soon. I'm pulling everything again but with server information this time. It was so slow to include the character's server before so I only got that relatively small sample. It seems they've optimized something, though, so I'll have a more complete data set now.

I'll probably rerun all the numbers to see what's up with that VS overpopulation. I'd also like to double check the MBT score per hour since the Vanguard score is so low.
    • Up x 1
  17. Syylara

Great stuff, looking forward to it!

Kudos for taking the time :9.
    • Up x 1
  18. riker

the connory faction precentage is off, NC overpopulates the VS vastly
  19. TintaBux

Great stats once again. Would you be so kind to pull out average score for MBT's against infantry only?
  20. Takoita

Some very interesting numbers here - thanks for your time and effort!