Some Planetside 2 statistics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CupBoy, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Eyeklops

Your logic is flawed. Each account can have up to 3 characters. Knowing how many characters exist only defines the minimum number of accounts. To determine the minimum number of accounts divide the number of characters by three. If there are 30 characters, there has to be 10 accounts, unless SOE is letting people break policy.

Because an account can be created and exist with no characters, the maximum number of accounts cannot be determined by number of characters.
  2. rompafrolic

I'm slightly disturbed how in faction activity the TR's activity is inversely proportional to the VS's activity (more TR=less VS and vice versa)
  3. CupBoy

I've added another sheet that does the "Active Characters" stats but only includes BR10+ characters.
    • Up x 3
  4. Cowboyhomer

I think the active player drops might be from people who were on low pop servers. Im sure alot of them were playing multiple toons before they finally gave up on one of them. I bought a bunch of stuff on one server but then switched to a new one to play with some buddies. When I first made the switch I would play both toons pretty much each day. I played with my buds on one and then played with my store bought stuff when they were not on. After I got all the stuff on the new toon I quit loggin in on Cowboyhomer.

I contribute to only the NC. All three of my toons are freedom fighters!!!! I have one on Connery, Miller and Mattherson.
  5. Tenhi

Thanks! I really appreciate the work you put into this thing. Its quite intresting reading through the data. Its also quite funny how people are unable to read the notes in the spreadsheet^^

Edit: The BR10+ Graph is quite intresting. You can see how long it took the playerbase to get to BR10+, you can also see the activity hit around Christmas. It peaked around Dec 09 wih ~235k, got back up to ~232k after the holidays and after that started to decline. From Jan 08 (~232k) it constantly droped till the end of the graph at Fab 15 (~159k). Thats ~73k player during a time span of a little over a month.

Its also nice to see that the activity stabilized around Feb 2/3 (GU2) and only started to fall again at Fab 12. That shows us that the Updates keep people intrested.

The faction activity is also quite intresting. TR is almost constant... the only thing that changed quite a bit is the VS/NC activity Oo.

At Fab 15 we have ~159k player. 34.72% TR = ~55205, 34.28% NC = ~54505, 31% VS = ~49290.

Edit2: Was there an Update ~Jan 08? I cant remember <_< Thats pretty much the point where VS starts to decline and NC starts to incline.
    • Up x 1
  6. CupBoy

Added another one that shows some score per hour numbers; both overall and for MBTs. I didn't have that data in my original data set so I pulled a smaller one (just the characters with names beginning with "a") for these calculations. It should still be representative of the entire population.

The numbers are pretty even for overall score per hour but it looks like our freedom tanks don't score so well compared to magriders and prowlers. :(
    • Up x 2
  7. De_Dominator

I meant there are almost 3million charecters. I am aware of that fact. Thank you but I had poor wording there.
  8. Clutchstep

Thanks for crunching the numbers, Cupboy. It's interesting stuff. I'm surprised at how evenly distributed the factions are, even down to the amount of timed played and average scores. Makes you wonder about all the "so-and-so is OP" posts.

Smedley has already disclosed, as of December, how many accounts there are:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...tent_churn_says_SOEs_Smedley.php#.USvnr-vF17s

It's 1.6 million if you don't feel like clicking the link. So it's safe to assume that there are more than a million accounts. Just to throw it out there, you're also assuming that everyone makes 3 characters just because they can, which is probably not the case.

I'm surprised at how negatively people are reacting to this data, it's like some of you want PS2 to fail so you can say "see? I told you so." It's only been about 3 months, player attrition is normal. It's been fairly stable through February at around 300k and that's a pretty good number, even if you assume that number is people like me who log into three different characters at least once a week.
    • Up x 1
  9. CupBoy

Absolutely, people should understand that the number of players looks to be pretty stable at the moment. They lost some players in January but it seems to have slowed down at least. We'll see how it evolves in the future.
    • Up x 1
  10. Tenhi

Yep. And my guess is that the server mergers will bring some players back as well. There were probably quite a few that quit because of low pop servers.
    • Up x 1
  11. Leo Di Caprio

I do not trust your numbers speaking of active people.

There was an all time low "active player" on january and it does not reflect on your chart, unless all servers are now low on population, that part of the chart doesn't really get you much credibility.
  12. Eyeklops

I am not making that assumption. Please re-read my post. The whole thing, and not just the first two sentences.
  13. TintaBux

14. Gavyne

nice, very interesting statistics, thank you.
  15. MilitiaMan

I don't know if this has been pointed out but...

Under average rank, for the TR.......it says TR SCUM and not TR SUM...
  16. Gavyne

Agreed, some people indeed want to say "I told you so" that's why they are trying to churn all the negative things out of the statistics as they can. But I can say, for a FPSMMO to have 300k+/- active players after 3 months? That's pretty darn good. That's only about 4-5x the peak amount of subscribers Planetside 1 had during its prime.

So moving forward, the things we know about what's coming for Planetside 2:

1. Server merges this week, this will bring more people back guaranteed, some are already trickling back since last week.
    2. Smed said they'll be launching an aggressive ad campaign soon, starting next month I believe. This will bring more new players into the game, and will cause a spike in activity no doubt.
    3. By then, we should have GU3 which should give us some additional features we've been waiting for, check out the roadmap there are some good things coming up that players want.

So it's safe to say we should see a spike in activity starting this week due to the server merges, and the spike should continue as SOE runs their ad campaign. And retaining players shouldn't be as hard this time around because the game now is more of a "launch quality" game, we have much better player rendering distance, more stability, the game is playable, and balance in the game right now is better than it has ever been.

I suppose things may finally be looking up for the game, which is great news for those of us that like Planetside 2.
    • Up x 3
  17. Areski

Any chance of looking at the score per hour calculations for data sets following each game update?
  18. Areski

Also ESF scores per hour?
  19. CupBoy

I'm not out to prove anything. If you don't trust my numbers, make your own calculations. There's a link to the data dump on the "About" tab. All the data comes from SOE's data API.
  20. CupBoy

We can't see score per hour numbers for anything other than overall, the past week and the past month.

Maybe I'll do ESFs, Maybe.
    • Up x 1