Some Planetside 2 statistics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CupBoy, Feb 25, 2013.

1. ThePackage

579k active players to 122k active players with no sort of stabilization in less than 3 months. That's what everyone should be taking away from those numbers.
    • Up x 3
  2. ThePackage

2% of a player base in just over a month is a huge loss. Also considering those players are tending to play another faction, it skews the numbers closer to a 4% disadvantage. That's a huge discrepancy over the course of a few months.
    • Up x 1
  3. TintaBux

Allot of VS players playing TR in an attempt to get tweaks in their favor before moving back to VS.
  4. TintaBux

Raw simple facts, can't argue with that.
  5. Radec594

Well, all of this worry for the 4th faction leaving VS was being overdone then?
    I mean it's a flipping 3%, but I expected it to be of way higher magnitude.

E: On a side note, cool stuff OP well done.
  6. cc2001

On the global level it appears that way. It doesn't really answer that question at the server level though. There very well may be some servers experiencing that. Can't tell from the presented data though.

Another interesting thing to look at would be a cross tab of active players by average hours played over time. This would help answer whether or not people of one faction while still logging in aren't putting in the same amount of hours if there was a sharp decline.
  7. TheBloodEagle

Woah, 2,799,863 characters? Thanks for putting this together, quite interesting.

BTW, I keep running into you on Jaeger. Arg.
  8. CupBoy

No, that is inaccurate. Current number of active characters is around 300k. You can't use the last 7 days or so of that graph (which is also noted right above it.)
    • Up x 1
  9. Arquin

Surprising, the NC population is on a big rise! :eek:
  10. Eyeklops

Some great data mining done there. It pretty much supports what we have been screaming about: Population is declining, bad.

Things to note about the "Active User / Daily Log-ins" data:
    January hit a peak of 510,000 on the 14th and has been loosing an average of 8700 per day since that time. There were about 170,000 as of February 21st. That is insane!

Thoughts:
    Although unlikely, if Planetside 2 continues at the loss rate of 8700 per day the game will be pretty much empty in about 20 days (March 13th). However, I do not think PS2 will be empty by March 13th and would expect the daily rate of loss to slow down for a number of reasons:
    • completion of roadmap items
    • existing fanboi players who will play until SOE shuts the game down
    • server merges*
    *Server merges are going to be a blessing and a curse. The blessing is that the merges might bring a few players back just to check out what the servers are like with high pop. The curse is that the high pop will probably make the game run like garbage at hot bases and add another reason for people to not play. My guess is we will see a dramatic spike in active users when the merges hit, with a faster than normal decline starting about two weeks later. SOE will attempt to slow down the loss with the completion of roadmap tasks, and grab at some extra $$ by releasing new cash shop items.

Reviewing the data is kind of saddening. PS2 had so much potential and looks like SOE is blowing it hardcore. TBH, PS2 was the onlyMMO I have ever gotten excited about and now I can't bring myself to play hardly at all, the game flat-out sucks. TB, LC, and BCP all offer different opinions on what needs to change in the game, but the one thing they agree on is the desire to play is diminishing fast. Once the "ohhh shiny camo/armor/new gun" effect wears off it becomes blatantly apparent PS2 has zero depth.

P.S. Don't be surprised if SOE takes down the API because of a "bug/upgrade" until they start to see positive growth again, I would.
  11. Nepau

His Stats show the amount of Characters of each faction from active accounts. It does not have Data saying what characters are actualy being played each day, nor the breakdown of what % each faction is at during primetimes of the various servers.

However if you do look the VS have been on a steady Trend downwards % wise for the past month or so. While it is only by about 2%, remember that it is an average across all servers, so it does not accuratly show how the Active pop of each server is, which will be larger swings.
  12. Wargrim

Nice stats. Would it be possible to have a graph that shows players/characters that logged in on any given day, and played over 30 minutes that day, split up by factions?

This would give us quite a nice base for daily and faction activity, i feel 7 or 30 day periods to determine active players does "smooth" the graph too much.
  13. NoctD

So the NC that left to play easy mode VS are now back to playing NC again. That's my takeaway!
  14. that_darn_lurker

Interesting. Since the MBT rebalancing and gate rotations, about 1% of the Vanu pop left for NC.
  15. kill

NC got the northern gate on Indar, VS got the south eastern one. That to me explains it more than the MBT rebalancing.
    • Up x 2
  16. ThePackage

Active characters are measured on a day to day basis. Why wouldn't you be able to use that data?
    • Up x 1
  17. Eyeklops

The "active user" table data should probably be called "unique log-ins." Regardless, the data clearly shows that every day, less and less people log into the servers.
  18. Eyeklops

I agree, but he is correct on a "terminology" basis. Swap "active users" for "unique log-ins" and all will be forgiven. :)
  19. Clonecenter-resident

27.8 million man hours..... just think what we could have done with that as a society.

also whatever number you want to look at for active characters remember that every player has at least one, some have more. your actual player numbers are going to be lowrer than that. maybe as low as one third that number.
  20. Eyeklops

Yes, this would be another nice graph to see. I also wouldn't mind seeing a graph that shows the daily average playtime per unique log-in excluding unique log-ins with less than 15 min for that day.