Some actual information about a crash...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BlackDove, Feb 15, 2014.

1. BlackDove

I've been using Process Explorer(which is amazing, especially for the Virus Total integration) to monitor my GPU activity during PS2.

The new glitch, where the screen goes black, and sound gets messed up, is a pretty interesting one. It's started since the second most recent patch. Feb 13 or something.

When the error occurs its almost always in the menu. The 2D menu actually made the GPU utilization, which is normally a flat line at about 50% for me, spike up to 100%, then down to 0%, causing the black screen and sound errors.

System memory usage also progressively gets higher, right until it crashes.

If anyone else wants to monitor for other symptoms, try this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
  2. Fatal1o1

Is there a common denominator as far as system specs in this case? Such as motherboard chips set being used. what type of memory or brand and amount. Display properties , type of adapter , amount of ram. Could they be caused by on board sound issues? I have not gotten any black screens let alone any crashes to CDT or any hard ones. Not saying there isn't any problems with the game patches. Just saying there not causing this to my system. I have had crashes in the past but very few and never a black screen.
  3. BlackDove

Gigabyte Z68 motherboard, 16 GB Crucial DDR3 1333.

Realtek ALC 898

GTX 660Ti 2GB(1.3GB max usage in game)

My GPU drivers never crash either, and I'm using the old 314.22 drivers. However, since this patch, it's caused them to crash twice while experiencing this issue. I've reinstalled the drivers recently as well.
  4. Fatal1o1

I'm running Asus-Z87 but I don't use the on board sound, which I believe is realtek ALC1150 8 channel HD. I use a Creative X-Fi Fatality and have had no sound issues.
  5. user101

if you have too many audio channels turned on - it will slow down your machine - you can up date the PhysX with out updating the driver and the new physx driver seem to work good - just remember to reboot your pc after. other wise it acts funny.
    the 331.82 driver works great...with the PhysX 1220 driver. And since you have a GTX660 I think you would be doing your self a favor.
    that 314.22 driver is way out dated for current PS2 they have even written about this in the Form. PhysX is a must have current driver with ps2.
  6. BlackDove

The black screen/sound issue happens as the display driver is about to fail, and then recover, but it only happens in PS2 since the update.
  7. Fatal1o1

Roget that , but what is causing the display driver to be unstable? What rez you playing at? What in game graphic detail are you using? You pushing the card to hard? What is the temp under game load? What is the fan rpm? I find that this game makes graphics cards work pretty damn hard.
  8. BlackDove

Playing on ultra like I always have, and I'm using the ancient and stable 314.22 drivers. The only variable in this situation is the recent patch, and I know some of my friends are getting weird glitches like this as well, on their normally stable Nvidia GPU's.

Everything is well cooled, CPU is about 50C under load, and GPU never really breaks 70C.

The 2D menus behave like power viruses, which has been known since launch. I don't know if there's something new with those, causing the issue, but it usually happens in the 2D menus.
  9. Fatal1o1

What kind of FPS are you getting at Ultra settings? If they are low , like in the 20's - 30's that will make the card chug. Kinda like a 8mm movie. That will make your card unstable pretty quick. I was in Matherson just a few min ago and that server is kinda running strange today, which could be my ISP. Not sure why but wasn't that great today anyway.
  10. BlackDove

No, it's 60 FPS using driver level adaptive Vsync, when I'm not CPU limited, which is normally between 50 and 60 FPS.
  11. Fatal1o1

Then there isn't anything obvious is what I was getting at.
  12. BlackDove

Exactly. It appears to be something related to the game, since the update specifically.