Soft Point vs. High Velocity?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Lohk, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Zaik

No, Soft Point Ammo does not affect shields more or less than health. It's just -5% CQC, +15.5% in whatever "mid range" is, and -15% at whatever "long range" is, whether it's on shield or health is irrelevant.
  2. DeltaGun

Theres a huge benefit to High Velocity ammo you guys are ignoring. It INCREASES DAMAGE at longer ranges. This is because all weapons in the game have a damage falloff range in which the your bullets do less damage. The HVA helps increase this falloff range.
  3. DeltaGun

Please cite a source.

FYI, it takes around 7 bullets to kill someone. Add 5% to that. Its still 7 bullets.
  4. Zaik

I got the numbers wrong, but here's the source.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/13a0jc/the_definitive_damage_time_to_kill_and_overall/

Specifically, this is on that front page:

And yes, -5% is pretty meaningless overall, it's not even a deterrent. It might affect spraying a MAX by a few bullets, that's it. If you'd survive to put 50 bullets(random number) in a MAX, putting 53 wouldn't be an issue.
  5. ABPositive

6. Fenrys

I don't like either of them.

SP is too slow, and HV is too much recoil.
  7. MartianDiscoFish

I'm pretty sure high velocity rounds work like the heavy barrel from bf3
  8. TheBloodEagle

Isn't the default the happy medium?
  9. Zaik

I'm sure it works like chicken noodles in a pork salad as well but I don't know what that means either.
    • Up x 3
  10. Zwan

so does high velocity reduce damage at close/medium range?
  11. DeltaGun

No. It reduces damage falloff effectively increase the damage of the weapon at larger ranges.
  12. Megawatt

This is true, but according to Thorbinator:
    Sniper Falloff is 1 from 0-10m, .9687 at 25, .9375 at 50, .925 at 75
    Carbine Falloff is 1 from 0-10m, .95 at 25, .90 at 50, .75 at 75
    LMG Falloff is 1 from 0-10m, .99 at 25, .925 at 50, .875 at 75
    AR Falloff is 1 from 0-10m, .96 at 25, .80 at 50, .74 at 75
    Pistol Falloff is 1 from 0-10m, .8 at 25, .55 at 50, .4 at 75

So, HVA is more useful for AR's and Carbines than for LMGs.

What I want to know is, does "more effective at long range" on the HVA mean is does LESS damage at close range, a la SPA which indeed does do -5% <10m 15% 10-25m -10% 25-50m+?
  13. Megawatt

Lol, If this is true, than default is not the happy medium, and HVA is the king of all ammunition (imo). I would like this. Please cite your source.
  14. DeltaGun

Unfortunately my source was on the Beta forums, but this mean it could also have been changed since then.

What I describe is taking the numbers you found from Thorbinator (I can't locate them in the spreadsheet):

"LMG Falloff is 1 from 0-10m, .99 at 25, .925 at 50, .875 at 75"

and change it to likely look something more like:

"LMG+HVA Falloff is 1 from 0-10m, 1 at 25, .99 at 50, .925 at 75"

As you say it is not a huge increase with the LMG compared to the other weapons. If this assumption is true then it pretty much correlates to my in game experience. You can kill targets far away with a bullet or two less than without HVA. Keep in mind that in Beta, the VS have a worse damage dropoff than the other factions. Assuming that is still true, HVA is a better investment for VS than TR or NC.

In the next day I will attempt to do some tests in game to settle it once and for all. At least for the SVA-88.
  15. DeltaGun

For the record I find it ridiculous that soft point ammo would decrease damage in short range. That's completely counter-intuitive. I hope that finding is false or, that the Devs will fix it or change the description of the ammo which appears to indicate that the damage is increased in all cases.
  16. Megawatt

Delta, I completely agree with you in terms of Falloff. My question was if, like soft point, there is a damage NERF at short range with the high velocity. But, like some have posted, I don't think there is. It probably acts like BF3 as someone mentioned, not increasing damage literally. It just increases speed at the cost of vertical recoil, which in my opinion at long range is a wash. I intend to not use any ammo certs for my LMG or Carbine, just the other mods.

Side note to the Heavies, please see my post regarding HA Shields. I'd really like to know what the motivation from a level 5 Resist Shield is versus any level NMG or Adrenaline Shield.
  17. Megawatt

Side note, Thorbinator updated the sheets. I'm glad to see the calculations I did match up with his. Note that I think he has HSR-1 and SOAS-20 in wrong spots, to those Terrans who use those.

In theory, I think the soft point does less damage <10m because the bullet hasn't effectively mushroomed yet, but I still think it's dumb. Not sure how realistic.
  18. strychzilla

Sounds like normal ammo will give you less of a headache. =P
    • Up x 3
  19. drzerg

i have checked high velocity ammo for TMG-50 at about 250m distance
    bullet drop and speed changes are almost unnoticeable
    for LMG this upgrade is crap
  20. KnightCole

Wait, so Soft POint ammo reduces your damage in close!? Yeesh.

How about HV, my question is, how much does it increase Recoil and does it to inflict a damage reduction at any ranges?

I unlocked the T16 Rhino lastnight, was trying to figure out if HV ammo is something I can live without. The T16 is a spitting image of the T9 CARV, save for it has like 45 more FPS, less recoil and slower RoF. SO far with my CARV ive gotten around a 1.87K/D, which I guess is decent enough, but that entire time has been with standard ammo, makes me wonder if the HV ammo is really needed.

I will slap a Compensator, some optic and a Handgrip on the thing....but thats 230certs away. Is the HV worth the extra 100?