SOE Punishing High Pay, but Non Members

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jachim, Oct 1, 2014.

1. WyrdHarper

How? You haven't added value to the membership (which could have been done by rewarding certs even if you don't log in every day, which has been something desired for a long time by members), you've only taken away from non-members. An Auraxium-level member was getting 48 certs/login before. They still get 48/login now. Unless they take some particular joy in taking away other people's toys, you're not adding any more value.
  2. Rovertoo

I appreciate and understand that you and the team talk out everything that goes live, and I can't pretend to know what the problem this change solves (and I am sure you had plenty of valid reasons for this particular solution). As players though we would like you to know that a majority of us aren't comfortable with this change and would've preferred an alternate solution to whatever problem you guys solved with this alteration.
    • Up x 3
  3. Anti-Skub

As you no longer need to worry about people making free accounts and just racking up offline certs, any chance you guys would consider loosening the restrictions for claiming these certs? Specifically can you grant certs to all my characters if I log onto one of them, logging in and out 5 times every day is s completely unnecessary chore.

Increasing the size of the pool so that you only need to log on once a week or so would be nice as well. You already have my money, can't you just give me what I paid for without making my jump through hoops?
  4. RHINO_Mk.II

Fixed.
    • Up x 11
  5. Pacster3

Currently this is pretty much Vehicleside 2 with all the free nanites. This is especially a problem for new players that simply get nothing at hand to effectively deal with vehicles(or certed MAXes). Getting the first 10k certs(and finally feel useful) is really a pain and taking away those additional 12 certs a day will hurt beginners a lot(cause they are underpowered and as a result make less kills unless they sit in someones certed vehicle and play duck shooting). If I was you I'd at least leave that bonus active for players below rank 20 or something like that....
    • Up x 1
  6. andy_m

I am one such person.
  7. Anti-Skub

Pull your own vehicle? 250 certs for a Halberd makes any MBT competitive. And the stock lightning is only fractionally worse than a lightning with thousands of certs spent on it.
  8. LibertyRevolution

Yep, people don't seem to understand just how many certs you get from passive..
    I have 6 characters, as full member I get 48 certs a day to login, on each.
    6chars*48certs=288certs a day I collect for just logging in.
    After 6 months, I have earned 6month*30days=180days*288=51,840certs just for logging in.
    51,840certs x 250XP = 12,960,000XP worth of free certs for logging in my characters.
    That is BR80+ worth of certs for just logging in every day for 6 months.
  9. Alkezo

This is probably why. The amount of passive certs non-paying players receive across all the servers is probably outstanding. They probably removed it just to lower the amount of certs flowing into the game and increase the chances of someone throwing some money down. The problem is, new players are hurt the most from this change. As a fresh player, a large portion of your cert gain are probably going to come from passive certs. A more experienced player will have a better score/hour if only because of his experience, let alone better access to upgrades/weapons and thus suffer less from the removal of passive certs.

Please alienate new players more SOE!
    • Up x 3
  10. andy_m

Your post interested me. I am an ex-European player, from ProSieben, and I paid for my membership via Paypal.

My membership expires in a couple of days and I was thinking, now that I can't use Paypal, to go free to pay, at least for a while and see how I cope with not earning as many Certs per session and having to queue longer when the servers are busy.

So I thought I would look into what a prepaid credit card is. I've heard of them, of course, but I've never had to use one because I have my own credit card anyway. And for most of my online transactions nowadays I use Paypal where possible.

I expected for there to be a fee for getting one of these cards. After all, there must be a charge to enable the providers to run such a thing. I haven't devoted much time to my research, but the two cards I looked into wanted to charge £8 and £9.95 for their cards.

Seeing as I would only be using a prepaid credit card for this game, I consider the charge of the card to be excessive. Certainly more than I would want to pay for playing a computer game. And I'm in full time employment in the twilight of my years and a considerable amount of spare cash.

So I guess I will not be renewing my membership at this time, but thank you for your advice :)
    • Up x 9
  11. Govedo13

Having less people logging to get the bonus lead to less new players and less alts for existing players. Less players less content for members more server merges less value both for SOE and for members.
    There are ton of better solutions that add more value like as the others proposed giving members certs without the need to log every day.

Also farming free cert for non members is solvable by removing the passive cert gain after BR50 or after having the character more then 6 months.
    • Up x 2
  12. Jawarisin

You guys are already infamous for making the some of the not-best decision. Everybody is literally telling you this one is a bad one, you guys should take the hint.
    • Up x 2
  13. tornflags

It's even not about stupid 12 certs, but about how they treat: 1) high-pay non members, 2) f2p crowd and 3) new players.

I mean, there are people who just want to buy a new gun or a new camo from time to time. These things ALONE already cost as much as a decent game on Steam sale. A horrible decision. At this point, I wouldn't feel motivated to be a member, I would feel cheated.
    • Up x 1
  14. Villanuk

Your looking at this the wrong way. If you want people to purchase the game you need to fix the game.

1. Hit detection, i know your working on it, but its still shocking at times.
    2. Lag / Ping. Its just terrible since the server merges. Why would a new player want to pay for a game with pings over 100?
    3. Items nerfed. We buy it, you nerf it, just look at the striker. Prime example of why not to purchase something again.
    4. Continent locking, some llike it, some don't, but players will want to play on the maps of there choice, goes without saying.
    5. The Valk. Prime example of something could could have excited us, its failure is only second to the Sinclare C5.
    6. New content that the players want, not what SOE force upon us. Kill map - pointless and not wanted by many.
    7. This most important point, new players have little or no glue about the game, the items and what to do. You need to address this.
    8. You dont take on board what we say or would like. I refer back to the striker, look at the threads, even the VS and NC are feeling sorry for us, its that bad, but hey the SOE train, fixed on its rails will keep going forward in your direction, dont worry about the players hey?

Im a member but i do wonder whats the point. I have 1000sc over 3500 certs and no idea what to do with it as i have no idea whats getting nerfed next and i sick and tired and spending money and certs into a vehicle or class to watch it get nerfed. The game is just getting nerfed down all the time. I came to play a game with variety but its just getting more like cod or Bf4. The game was unique, that was its selling point but now its just a futuristic version of BF4.
  15. R6xSNAKExBOXESx

The thing is though why don't you just buy one in a larger chunk like a £100 one? That's what I do when I get prepaid cards to minimize the loss because the fee stays the same at least for the ones I get. You could always use the rest for grocery's, bills, etc. Just saying what I do though of course and giving advice based on that.
  16. Jeslis

It only adds value because you took something away from the free player. (specific to the passive certs, not the 50% xp month 1 thing)

I'm going to have to agree with alot of the posters here RadarX -- before I became a member, I made SURE to login each day to get my certs.. check the map and sales.. even if I didn't really have time to play that day.
    And a few of those times, something was on sale that I wanted.. that I wouldn't have logged on to see without those daily certs.

I also want to comment on the specific patch note; Paraphrasing: "We're removing this because it's not really talked about to new people"
    - Uhmm what? I get a GIANT flashy msg every time I login saying I got free certs for logging in, AND its the first line, GOLD COLORED in my chat log... How much more NOTICE did you want to give people? Personally I already find it annoying because I have to wait for the damned flashy thingy to go away before I can see the map continent list (Center top of screen)

So yea... Id MUCH rather you increase (or simply not even change) the 48 6month member passive daily cert, to 60 certs.. instead of removing the 12 that non-members get.
    - And hell, while you're modifying it, why not make it so if a BRAND new character (doesn't have to be new account), logs in each day for 2 weeks. They get 100 certs a day. THAT'D incentivise new players don'tcha think?
    • Up x 4
  17. R6xSNAKExBOXESx

I gotta admit this isn't exactly the place to be sighting all the things you think are wrong with the game in a rude matter to a developer's face. If you want these things to be fixed that you personally think are a problem, (mind you not everyone thinks the same) you have to do it in a calm and collected matter with your points just minus the rudeness despite frustration otherwise all that does is make you seem rude and so on. Then in turn make that person not want to pay attention to you and that could be a developer. Now mind you I'm not calling you rude or any of that but I'm just saying essentially it pays to be nice even with some vulgarity or an occasional "what the hell" as long as it's followed with non-attacking or insulting points and understanding. Unless of course said developer or person insulted you first or something like that then it's anything goes :p

Regardless though the real problem here still is just that removing passive cert gain for non-members (especially for newer ones) is only harmful to the game and bad for business. Which of course the latter I think would definitely be noticed like any other company and hopefully that is seen before it has too much of an impact.
  18. AAYF

Its just 12 certs. Dosent matter to veterans, and helps massively with new players, and most likely the vets are the ones with membership. In this scenario Everyone loses.
    • Up x 4
  19. Villanuk

Buddy, i was not being rude, not even "what the hell" Its my opinion and thats all it was, that if your trying to get new customers, then upsetting them is not the way forward by removing passive certs but you have deal with the problems or the bigger problems that are effecting this game and there is no point beating around the bush about this and pretending they are not happening. I have brought one or 2 new players to Ps2 and this is very much what they have said, ie, why didnt he die ( i was there and it was point blank ), my reply, hit detection and lag, his reply, well whats the point of playing if i cant beat him on skill, my reply, shall we play chess?

Passive certs is not the real problem with player retention, its the game and thats not being rube, im just stating my own opinion, in a polite and calm manner. I want this game to improve and keep getting bigger but unless soe deal with some issues thats not going to happen and we will all lose this great game, or it will never achieve the greatness it can.
  20. Xasapis

Nothing to laugh about ... :). I'm constantly spending certs to stay below the cert limit without actually using the stuff I'm spending certs on. My low would be 500 per day, my usual 1000.

I'm also a two years player and now sitting at over 250.000 certs. Those 9.000 don't seem that much from my perspective.

In the end I'm happy about how cert gain is moving on in the game, rewarding even more people that play the game, as opposed to those who don't.