SOE Punishing High Pay, but Non Members

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jachim, Oct 1, 2014.

1. NC_agent00kevin

If you are going to spend 400$ on this game, rough average of 200$ per year, you may as well be a subscriber and pick up 500 SC every month along with XP bonuses and queue priority. Spending that much and not being a subscriber is kinda silly. What is the subscription like 10$ a month? Thats 5$ a month for all that extra XP plus your 500 station cash that you seem to be spending regularly anyway.

Im sure you have your reasons why you do it that way, but its just not a smart decision from strictly a $$ perspective. Members also seem to get random free 1, 3, and 7 day boosts. Almost every time there is a double XP weekend I burn one and have not yet run out. That also equates to far more certs you can use to purchase weapons with as well.

In all, if you are going to spend any significant amount of money in this game, it doesnt make sense to not subscribe.

Basically, you're doing it wrong :p
    • Up x 1
  2. WyrdHarper

The problem for a number of people is payment options. Buying SC is relatively easy, and you can do it through steam. However, membership is pretty restricted in the payment modalities, and given SOE's history with CC security, some people are very hesitant to give their CC information directly.
    • Up x 2
  3. Reccettear

i didnt memorize the patchnotes, but it seems like they added a ****ton of new xp rewards and heavily increased some others. on top of that they reduced requirements for some ribbons. i mean, is that right? 425 xp for switching a cap point? and 50/20s for standing around next to one when the base is under attack?

who cares about those 12 certs, membership or not. with all the stuff they added, the 3k xp are poket change...
    • Up x 1
  4. NC_agent00kevin

Load a prepaid Visa card, good to go.

Not to mention, these days, when a bank notices a weird charge, they call you, even if its automated. Mine does that every time I buy a Steam title. Its kind of a basic protection thing nowadays. I can understand not feeling comfy about giving out your CC, but the above option completely solves the problem. You can get a prepaid Visa at nearly any grocery or convenience store.
  5. WyrdHarper

Unless you're in one of the many countries where they aren't. I know I have that option, but it's still an issue for many people--the limited number of payment options prevents people from buying SC, membership, or both.
  6. Yuukikun

ikr it's not like you got any SC or anything
  7. NC_agent00kevin

Im sure other countries have the same thing in a different CC company. EU has Mastercard. Its 2014, not 1998. Those things are literally everywhere. Even 3rd world countries.

There is no excuse that is valid here in this case. Every single developed country in the world and many that arent developed sell prepaid bank cards. Visa, Mastercard, ICBC, it doesnt matter. They are easy to find and easy to use with little to no risk.
  8. Stargazer86

Yeah, the silver level is the important bit. Many f2p games give some sort of reward for those that made a purchase from the store, whether it be a permanent XP boost, in-game item, title, or whatnot. Planetside 2 just kind of stiffs you on that. You're either a freeloader or a member, regardless of whether you've bought all the helmets, camos, and have personally paid for Higby's pension through in-game purchases.
    • Up x 1
  9. Xamir

Sure, but I would prefer to not have my credit card details stolen in the first place thanks?

You could make the argument "It's 2014, everyone offers paypal".
    • Up x 2
  10. NC_agent00kevin

Let me say this a little louder.

PREPAID

ZERO. RISK.

ALL OVER THE ENTIRE PLANET.

Im sorry it had to come to that.
  11. Vertabrae

Maybe instead of buying $400 SC, you should have subbed. Find it funny, you can afford $400, but can't afford $14 for a sub.

As a paying member, I should have access to a few things non-members don't. I know that sucks for new people, or for those who don't want to pony up. But you have to make memberships attractive. Also don't go thinking that members don't buy a ton of SC as well. I'm a member, and I've probably dropped as much, if not more $$ on SC as you.
    • Up x 1
  12. Alkezo

You do realize some people don't have a card or way to pay for subscription. For instance, a lot of younger people only have cash because they don't have a job and don't rely on mommy's credit card to pay for everything. Going to the local 7/11 to get a card is a simple solution to those people.

Membership was already attractive as hell, providing 50% extra exp on top of FOUR TIMES the passive cert gain. Changing this only further alienates newer players and this policy change alone will lessen my desire to give SOE my money.
    • Up x 2
  13. TraatAdmiral

From the patch notes for October 2.

Come on, SOE, seriously? At least you gave us reasons, that was a nice touch, but they're pretty crappy reasons. It wasn't 'communicated effectively'? Then why don't you try communicating it rather than ripping it? Put something on the startup screen: "Remember to log in every solar cycle to collect your rations, soldier!" That's what communication looks like. Increases the overall benefit of being a Member? Well, yes, that's true, and a fine goal. But there are two ways to go about that: the scummy way and the not scummy way. Guess which one this is? Increasing membership benefits should be done by giving members more, not taking things away from non-members. If you want to increase membership benefits, give them 60 certs/day instead of 48--the same relative difference has been made, and instead of leaving the entire community with a bad taste in its mouth you've made people happy. Removing something that everyone likes and costs you nothing is a really silly way to run a game.
    • Up x 1
  14. Nogrim313

little disappointed at this but its such a low amount to begin with its more of a meh
  15. TraatAdmiral

If it's your first week in-game, those passive certs are probably upwards of half of all your earnings. Do we really need to make the new-player experience even more soul-crushing than it currently is?
    • Up x 1
  16. Regpuppy

It's only 8 certs, tops. It's not really that big a deal, for anyone.
    • Up x 1
  17. Archiadus

12 is the max.

While it might not make that much of a difference for veteran players it's a pretty big deal to players that just started, those 12 certs would've gotten them some scopes / zoom options , suits etc.

Non-members already earned 4? times less than members but I guess that that wasn't a big enough advantage...

Also,
    that made me laugh. :p
  18. FateJH

By this, I assume the intent was an incentive to play more often or be rewarded for frequency; following which frequency, membership gave more incentive certs, and therefore would lead to that. Instead, people used it like a free cert delivery: log in, collect free certs, log out.
    The idea does seem a little disconnected from the intent if that is the case, considering the resulting ding-dong-ditch that characterized people with more accounts than they could play regularly.
    • Up x 1
  19. Septus

they should only give you certs if you log an hour of play for the day for non-members, that would be incentive to play.
  20. LodeTria

Gonna suck for newbies but I won't miss it myself nowadays.
    I remember when I first started and was barely making any certs at all and the passive certs made it seem a lot less worse, even though it was only 12.