SOE Punishing High Pay, but Non Members

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jachim, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Jachim

Most F2P systems have some sort of loyalty or rewards system, however trifle and trivial as they may be but PS2 has nothing like this and it annoys me to no end.

I've spent upwards of $400 over the course of my time playing, and sure I can't afford being a 'member' at this time, it is disheartening to see more and more taken away from the 'free' membership tier without having a 'middle' tier for those who've spent their fair share in SOE's games, especially PS2, and have been given no rewards for this at all.

The removal of passive certs is kinda the last straw for me. I've tried to defend SOE, but I just can't now.
    • Up x 10
  2. Zapon

...I must have missed something

removal of passive certs???? Seriously?o_O
    • Up x 1
  3. Vertabrae

I musta missed this as well. Not being removed that i know of
  4. NinjaTurtle

12 free certs = 3000xp by your SPM 18 minutes

12 certs is not a big deal. I knew people would make a **** storm out of a non issue

New patch notes under membership
    • Up x 2
  5. Maljas23

I don't see that change as a big deal.
    • Up x 2
  6. Fellgnome

For 400$ I feel like they should just unlock everything for you, honestly.
    • Up x 13
  7. Zapon

dang...

wow.........

what in the world? This isn't enough of a incentive for membership either.... >_>

So I think this won't yield any real income increase that is significant due to this......
  8. Pelojian

Doesn't matter how much you spend it doesn't add weight to any argument.

That said there aren't many ways for them to encourage membership now. they decided to go easy and give the full XP boost to lower tier subscribers hoping to hook people to subscribe as a monthly XP boost so i'm not surprised they decided to nerf free players.

Personally i think FTP games should have 4 tiers of membership. especially for more restrictive games of free players.

1. Copper(free)
    2. Silver(one time purchase)
    3. Gold (budget subscription $7.50/month)
    4. Platinum (premium subscription - $15/month)
    • Up x 9
  9. WyrdHarper

It hurts new players. 12 certs is a big deal if you're only making ~30-50 per session, and we know that this game has very terrible new player retention; in part because of the (apparent) cert wall. Making almost 100 certs just for logging in every day for a week is really nice for a player struggling to cert out their new character when they're still learning the game.
    • Up x 30
  10. Maljas23

Good point. Ill retract my statement. I did not think about new players.
    • Up x 7
  11. Tyrant103

It's an idiot decision, does anyone remember when you first started out playing? getting certs was and still is hard for non members, especially for new players that receive nothing but a weapon and 1 day boost which is nothing really. They aren't even given certs to start of with, to invest in the class or role they would like to try out or perfect in their first experiences of this game.

I can recall my noob days when logging in for the 12 certs was a big deal.

Of-course some people here won't be bothered much, they don't see this problem from a wider perspective. It hurts the game, a new player is going to be demotivated to play, to grind for ingame items, to grind their way to a role that suits them, makes them have fun, yes the membership will help greatly but that shoots the players initial thought of the FREE TO PLAY MMOFPS in foot. And we will likely never see them again.
    • Up x 11
  12. AssaultPig

I'm struggling to imagine what you have left to cert if you've managed to spend four hundred bucks on the game

I'll be sad to see the certs go as a non-sub player, but it's not like it's a huge reduction in gains. If you logged in every day for a month you'd only make 360, which isn't a totally trivial number but hardly a huge deal.
    • Up x 1
  13. Govedo13

This is meh move from SOE.

In general they loose players like that because passive cert is insensitive to log and when one logs there is a huge chance to play.
    Also after a while the said person could buy SC or membership.

It also annoys and demotivate current players that doesnt want membership to spend money by buying SC .
    From marketing PoV they are ruining their image and reduce the chance to get new clients.

SOE needs new solid marketing team that increase their profits instead of reducing it. I just cannot believe that such big firm cannot afford to hire someone that have clue about marketing and customer relationship.
    GG for shooting yourself in the leg.
    • Up x 3
  14. Morti

People used to log in for 12 certs? or am I missing something here?
    • Up x 2
  15. KenDelta

It's a big deal for people with multiple characters , mostly to login > gain certs > log off > use account when you feel like it and have enough certs stashed.

I personally know people(membership ofcourse) with thousands of certs on characters just gained from passive cert gain , lol.
    • Up x 10
  16. Govedo13

I do still log for the 12 cert and to check the daily sale. The said 12 cert created the basis of my alts. I would probably never had made the other 2 faction chars if they and NS guns were non existant.
    With most NS guns opened and
    with the passive cert for few months one can built up decent secondary character therefore one plays more
    and provides content to paying members or even buy ES stuff on his alt with SC.
    Basics of marketing and marketing exposure that SOE seems not to grasp.
    • Up x 4
  17. TwwIX

Boy, SOE sure is doing a fine job killing what little community they have left. It doesn't surprise me one bit, though. Smedley never disappoints at disappointing.
    • Up x 5
  18. breeje

over 400$ did u think this game was pay to win?
  19. BiggggBRIM

SOE you're doing it wrong. If you want MORE subscribers you need to create MORE value, not take away what little value is there.
    • Up x 1
  20. Govedo13

Not really. There is certain amount of players that would pay out of the mass of non- paying. More players in general leads to more paying players. Having 12 instead of 48 cert is good motivator to update while having free 12 is good motivator to log in at first place. They do need more players unless the fix costs for hosting and development are not covered by the current paying members and they work on break even or on loss awaiting PS4 to realize profits.
    I doubt that this is the case the game is over anyway with this scenario also they wouldn't had developed much new content.
    Hence as economist I am amused by this decision.
    • Up x 1