[Suggestion] SOE: For the love of God, do something about redeployside

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ceiu, Nov 7, 2014.

1. WTSherman

Considering I've seen fights where VS overpopped the hex by nearly 200 players (~96 NC, VS have 75% pop so somewhere around 288 VS) that would be kind of hilarious.
    • Up x 1
  2. Rovertoo

Not squad deploys
  3. Astriania

I assume you know that the reinforcement spawn options don't update for at least 15 seconds (I think it's more like 30), and if your SL is there you can spawn there anyway, so that makes absolutely zero difference in terms of stopping organised redeployments.
    • Up x 2
  4. Paragon Exile

So in other words, organization OP?
  5. Rovertoo

Basically, yeah. It wouldn't be an issue if it was a Gal drop or a Sundie caravan, since organization can counter those. Redeploying is just sheer numbers and wrecks good fights, and has nothing to do with strategy.
  6. gibstorm

The need to change the population cut off for long distance redeploying.

Cut it off at around 40 or 45% so you can send troops to defend but not enough to out right win the battle. That why some people will actually have to travel to the point by vehicle or plane if they want to win. So you can't just wait until a base has 4 mins left then send a massive zerg to flip it back.
  7. OldMaster80

Yeah a great organization: all you have to do is ask your teammates to click Cancel within 30 seconds. This is real strategy.
    • Up x 2
  8. Thornefear

It would be nice to actually have to travel. THere are an amazing amounts of spots that are great for ambushes that I NEVER get to use :( because apparently traveling for a minute or so it tooo hard for peeps who like instant gratification.

If people actually have to travel, then people could use guerilla warfare, which is fun, and needed.
    • Up x 6
  9. Degenatron

And I thought of that, and those repercussions are on purpose. It's not just "giving the under dogs a chance", it's also "giving the bullies a hard shove off the playground".
  10. tahn1000

i love it how people only complain about 'overpop' when they're suddenly not the ones doing the overpopulating.
  11. Copasetic

Just have redeploys cost nanites. Simple fix that doesn't stop players from moving to another fight but prevents outfits from mass redeploying constantly.

The cost could depend on the distance. Spawning at an adjacent base would be free and would get more expensive the further you go. This cost would cover *all* forms of spawning including squad spawn, beacon spawn or redeploys but NOT spawning into a Galaxy or Sunderer. This way you encourage players to use logistics vehicles to move around the map, which at least have a chance to be countered.
    • Up x 1
  12. Matt879

It would be great to actually see 96 people come in in 8 galaxies rather than the spawnroom suddenly giving birth to a 100 man max crash when 30 seconds ago the defenders were being overwhelmed. One day...
    • Up x 1
  13. Frostiken

That wouldn't fix anything. Redeploy cheesing is most problematic specifically when the enemy shoots an entire platoon into defending a base at the last minute and the spawn room suddenly vomits a hundred additional people. Attackers can do nothing about it.

The solution is to add spawn queues and *drastically* limit your spawn options. Your spawn options should be:

1) Base within region you died in. If this base is 'contested' (connected in any way along a contested lattice link) you cannot spawn at this base under any circumstance besides dying within the region. The closest you would be able to get is at the 'next base back' (see 2).

2) The next base BACK, meaning AWAY from the front lines. If you have no lattice links (cut off base) you cannot spawn at any base 'back'.

3) Any Sunderer within your hex, and every adjacent hexs (HEXES not REGIONS). This might need to be expanded to maybe two adjacent hexes, but the idea is to stop you from being able to deploy to distant Sunderers.

4) Every Sunderer and Galaxy gets a spawn beacon-esque timer. You can spawn into other Sunderers just fine, but spawning out of the same Sunderer over and over will take longer and longer every time you do it.

5) Warpgate is always an option to spawn at, as is the nearest (by lattice links) major facility along your current lattice path. If you have no lattice links (cut off base) you cannot spawn at any major facility 'back'.

So let's say you're defending a base. You die. Your options are:

- Warpgate.
    - The base you died at.
    - The next base back.
    - Whatever major facility is the 'shortest' away along your current lattice link
    - Any Sunderers nearby. If there is a Sunderer parked at the enemy base, and you died defending yours, it probably won't be close enough, so you cannot spawn there.
    • Up x 3
  14. OldMaster80

8 galaxies or 16 Valkyries. That will be a glorious day.
  15. MajiinBuu

If a whole platoon redeploys to defend a single base, they abandon the rest of their territory and lose more than they gain. That is why you never see platoons redeploying to defend a single base.
  16. Ceiu

Well, first of all, I'm the OP of this thread; not that guy.
    Secondly, I think organization is a good thing and should be encouraged as much as possible. However, you're loosely using the term as a sort of straw man argument; which I won't even bother addressing.

As I've stated countless times in several other threads (including my own), for every one positive aspect of redeploying, there's a pretty significant negative which waters down the game for anyone that wants actual combat.

Pros:
    - Gets players into battles quickly
    - No resource cost
    - No liabilities or dangers of any kind

Cons:
    - Requires attacking forces to grossly overwhelm the opponents to defend a potential platoon redeployment (which means more standing around/farming)
    - Trivializes/obsoletes the use of logistics, vehicles and the whole purpose of a massive world/connected bases (why take a galaxy/valk when the alternative is faster, cheaper and safer?)
    - Completely disrupts the flow of battle; arbitrarily ending fights via mass exodus from one fight to blatantly overpopulate another
    - Effectively eliminates the 12-24 and 24-48 matches that occur away from the main deployments (because there is no main deployment anymore -- just teleporting swarms)

The only arguments people have had in favor of keeping this mess the way it is are:
    - Everyone is doing it (lulz)
    - It stops ghost capping

The first one is a joke. "Everyone" does something because a lot of people are hypercompetitive sheep that will abuse anything for an edge. It wasn't a problem in the first handful of months of the game because people were still figuring out various strats. Once people started to note how bloody effective it was, the copycat effect took over and we ended up where we are now (thanks TR... I think).

As far as the ghost capping bit goes: Does anyone really care? Ghost capping is and was almost never an issue. The few times it mattered someone would take note and send a squad (usually via galaxy) to address it (unless it was late-night downtime, in which case the ghost cappers got the whole continent and no one really gave a **** anyway).

Holy ****... what? That happens all the time!
    Step 1: Redeploy to a falling base
    Step 2: Steamroll the **** out of the enemy there
    Step 2b: Talk **** about how gud you are and how rekt they are
    Step 3: Redeploy to previous base/next destination

The day I created this thread, VG was doing the above. Hell, I ragequit when I left a battle at which VG deployed (turning a 48-96vs48-96 into a 96+ vs 48-96 **** fest) to join a techplant battle. We took out the SCU and were just waiting out the cap timer when all of the sudden VG redeployed there, steamrolled the hell out of us and got the SCU back up all within about 30 seconds.
    • Up x 2
  17. Tasp

Interesting, you're telling me you've never had an entire platoon show up at a tech plant / biolab / amp station with 1-2 minutes left and crush what was otherwise a relatively heated and fun battle?

What is this magical server you play on with a lack of organized outfits? I have a few alt character slots to fill out....
  18. MajiinBuu

It doesn't happen very often, no. Maybe 1 out of 5 battles, depending on your preferred battle.
    And I don't pay attention to what outfits do. I've found that most outfits aren't very casual, and I play where I want! :cool:
  19. Whatupwidat

I can't believe I miss facility alerts...remember when we had actual objectives to take?

That was fun.
  20. MajiinBuu

Especially the Indar facility alerts. The faction with the northern warpgate pretty much automatically won :D