[Suggestion] SOE, can you PLEASE start using your OWN forums?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BiggggBRIM, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyXXL

it's clear they don't like criticism, they prefer reddit where they are kissed and upvoted by the all fanboys who play a different game than us, forumsiders, but what do i know, i am just a peasant, LET THE ALL ACCESS USERS SPEAK WITH THEIR WALLET !
    • Up x 4
  2. Iridar51

As a person who got banned for five days - actually, for arguing with you - for a post in a thread that wasn't even on a second page of gameplay discussion - I assure you, mods are doing their jobs just fine.
    • Up x 1
  3. Villanuk

This kinda sums up everything we are saying?

Matthew Higby@mhigby Aug 29
    Help us build a list of issues to tackle with our September Quality of Life update: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2exo3u/quality_of_life_list_for_september_2014/
    Now there could be a post asking the same on these forums, but why would he not promote there own official forums? I suspect he has not asked us to.
    So what Radar says they look at all avenues, well it appears they only select certain one for feed back.
    • Up x 5
  4. Foxirus

Yes, But the official forums should get the information regarding the game BEFORE those third party websites do. The T2 Striker for example, When everyone found out it was getting coyote mechanics; It was not from the official forums, It was because a Developer posted it on twitter.

This is highly unfair to those of use who refuse to use sites like Twitter, Facebook, Or Reddit.

I use YOUR forums, I should get the information on things long before some third party website does.
    • Up x 12
  5. FieldMarshall

They seem to like how reddit is structured and all that. Atleast thats the "excuse" i heard being used.
    Why dont they clean up/change their own official forum into something like that if they hate it so much.
    And intigrate it so that important information being posted on facebook, reddit, countless twitter accounts etc. by the devs gets posted in its own sub-forum here.

Treating the official forum like an abandoned neglected dog that they dont want just makes people feel like trash, and cant be good for PS2 or SoE overall in the long run.
    (Though they dont seem too good at thinking past 2-3 weeks anyway, or maybe they dont care)
    Especially when they boast about "great communication with the playerbase"

The "we try to reach the PS2 community everywhere" line sounds good in theory. In practice, it means that you cant be everywhere at once, and you get the situation we have now.
    Another thing is confusion. Different information is posted in different places, sometimes conflicting information. And people are just supposed to "know" about it.
    You have Reddit, Facebook, Twitter for a bunch of people, "official" forum, secret homepage and whatnot. Really confusing and frustrating that you cant get more information on the official forums.
    Especially when there is a sub-forum called "Official News and Announcements"

Its good that they try to advertise PS2 and get people to notice it all over the internet, but it doesent seem to work. Most people i know about havent even heard about PS2.
    Imo, if they spent all their energy that they use trying to "reach everyone" and put it into advertising instead, i think the game and soe would grow more in the long run.

Not trying to be a dbag. Just trying to be honest because i love PS2.
    • Up x 3
  6. Haquim

While most of that stuff was just insults, the first one and the one about the framerate (about 55 seconds in the vid) kinda hit the spot. Of course its not nice being insulted when you do your best
    The first one feels like arguing with a child instead of a professional. You tell him hes done goofed and his last update is higby'd up in an angry and improper way and the answer is: Higby you too! Thats not how to deal with customers. You have to be professional, calm and resonable, even if the other guy won't (or refuses to) be.
    And the one about the framerate: I don't feel like im taken for serious. I don't even feel like that tweet was improperly worded, thats just how some people actually talk! And its a valid concern in my opinion. The programmers reaction: Make a joke of it and forget about it.

Of course I know that this vid had nothing to do with official responses or anything, but come on. If people insulting you would be a problem, thats even MORE reason to get on your own forums instead of using a third party site to communicate.
    I'm with OP on this one: The devs responding more on reddit than on their own forums is, imo, kinda sub-optimal but OK. The devs responding far more than twice as much on a third-party site than on their own is NOT OK. I'm not reading every single thread, but RadarXs post in this very thread is the third? maybe 4th "official" response this week? And what is an absolute no-go, something that should never, ever happen: Important news about issues, changes and future plans being posted to reddit INSTEAD of their own forum. Not additionally, INSTEAD.
    Granted, I don't use reddit, so the last point is kinda hearsay, but there's so many people telling me that and so many links over to reddit for Information that can't be found here that I take this for a fact.

EDIT: If you want to discuss something with the community and you risk losing sight in this forum while reddits up/downvote system gives you that: Why not post the same initial post HERE and add a link to the discussion on twitter for the forum users to participate/read?
    The forum users KNOWING about it from the devs instead of another user angrily telling them that the devs started an important discussion on reddit again and left the forums out again would be a big improvement
    • Up x 1
  7. Strikejk

Sorry to tell you but SOE forums are good for announcements but bad for good discussions due to the forum system they use.
    Reddit is just a much better platform to discuss and provide quick feedback to new stuff. It is also easier to gather user provided informations. Also alot of the dev posts & informations on reddit are crossposted from their twitter account.

Twitter: Newest info by dev
    Reddit: Quick dev response, good discussions, reposts of twitter
    SOE forum: Official announcements, Q/A, twitter messages visible on the right hand side.

Deal with it and load up reddit from time to time. Won't hurt you.
    • Up x 2
  8. Iridar51

What, you mean like this thread? Lol.
    • Up x 1
  9. Aaren

Fixed that for you.
    • Up x 5
  10. andy_m

I'm seriously disappointed to hear that you got banned because of a discussion with me.

Makes my opinion on the forum moderation stronger, in fact, because there are far worse posts here than anything I can remember of our chats. It's just not consistent. My memory isn't that good though... did you get personal or something? Don't answer that...
  11. tigerchips

Septic Peg here.
  12. Benville

Noone is asking you to ignore other avenues. You're already ignoring other avenues. Information gets posted to Reddit that doesn't go on the forums, or Twitter or Facebook. Information goes on Twitter that doesn't go on the forums or Facebook or Reddit.

You are already actively ignoring multiple avenues to engage your customers.

Noone is asking you to stop posting elsewhere.

We're asking you to post the same stuff, EVERYWHERE, so we ALL get to see it.

If I want PTS notes then I have to trawl through Reddit.
    If I want to know server status updates or issues I have to follow d_carey on Twitter.

The "official" forums are always the last place to get any info or announcements, if they're posted at all.
    • Up x 6
  13. LightningPro

And the Worst of this the Reddit Fanboys have more influence compared to this Forum.
    A good example for Reddit`s Elitism was EU Server merge they hide at Reddit and say -we are the Community let`s
    have a Server smash- I know many which couldn`t join no Reddit no Information so they feeled pis..d on.
    Sure they are a part of community but not the whole on.
  14. Mongychops

Perhaps this is just your advanced sarcasm going whoosh, but that sounds assbackwards to me.

Usually game developers are criticised for only communicating with players on their own "official forums", the home ground where they get to censor anything they do not like. There is plenty of criticism on the PS2 subreddit, with a lot of anger being expressed about the directive reset issue. There are problems with some poeple using the downvote button on people they disagree with, rather than just those that are unconstructive, but I wouldn't say it is worse than heavily censored official forums.
  15. Utrooperx

In response to SenTerran:

First, go to: http://ps2issuetracker.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa and make sure any issues you are having are reported.

Second, let the Right People know you, as a customer, are not happy...

John Smedley is the President of SoE. He has always seemed to be a straight up person that deals with issues and gets things done.

Let him know how you feel...here's his e-mail address---> jsmedley@soe.sony.com
  16. JonNathe

Agreed, I can't stand reddit, I have no need for twitter, post in your forums or remove them, simple as that.
    • Up x 4
  17. Hans Goddius

No **** these forums. They are hard to follow, very toxic and frankly are confusing as hell when you want a discussion.

If there was a good post on twitter/forums, it always goes on reddit.
    • Up x 1
  18. Ragarnoy

No ? Reddit is just reddit, it's not the official forum, if they don't post here because it's confusing and not adapted then they fix it : It's their forums, they should have made it so that it's handy to use for us, and them. Reddit is getting unequal attention, hell i don't complain because the Devs don't come and post on /ps2g/, so why should you ?.
    Reddit has no legitimacy here, therefore the devs should be reasonable and post here.
    • Up x 2
  19. Klypto

As a person who enjoys the experience of developer interaction on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, Twitch, youtube, etc. I find it totally unfair that you would demand that they spend less time on those areas to waste their time on the forums.
    • Up x 2
  20. BiggggBRIM

And I find it completely unfair that I'm just somehow supposed to know that the dev's don't post penitent information regarding their own game on their own forum. Its also unfair that if I would like to take part in the discussion of any upcoming changes I'm just supposed to go to any number of third party websites, depending on the topic being discussed. Don't you think it would be nice if there was one, centralized website to discuss all things PS2?
    • Up x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.