[Suggestion] SOE, can you PLEASE start using your OWN forums?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BiggggBRIM, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronin Oni

haha Just can't help myself from correcting bad arguments ;)

BTW: My point still stands. This forum community is, by all accounts that I can see, FAR smaller than any of the others.

Also, unless they make excessive use of "stickies", which is obnoxious in it's own right and more moderation required to rotate them, topics on the forums actually don't last near as long as on Reddit where it will stay up for a week easily if it's a big issue.

Here any dumb thread from 6 months ago can get bumped up to the top knocking everything down.
  2. warmachine1

Because of terrible structure that is, literaly a single section for everything but a class discussion.
    Using 3rd party webs as primary resource is a god damn JOKE.
    • Up x 3
  3. Ronin Oni

Except.... it's not.

It's how MANY developers have started comuning with their communities.

Also, go back a page and look at the numbers. The PS2 community on reddit is much larger than the community here. If they make a post there, it's going to be seen by a metric **** ton more players.

Official forums are a dying legacy. I expect it won't be many more years before the "forum" part goes away entirely and all you'll see on games sites are the "Announcements" section where they post up, well, the same **** they post there now.

Wanna know what's a joke? These forums themselves. The very tech it's built on. It's very structure.
  4. warmachine1

If they were structured & moderater like http://forum.warthunder.com/ there would be much more ppl than on some stupid reddit.
  5. Ronin Oni

Off-topic... but now I realize why your sig is what it is.

FWIW: I'd like to know WHEN SOe ever promised Mouse_x yaw.... because IIRC they never did anything of the sort, and even said that when they tried it they felt it was terrible and poorly represented the game, hence why they intentionally removed it.

Wanna fly with Mouse_X? Play War Thunder.

This flight model just doesn't suit it.
  6. warmachine1

I made comparison with BF4 & it is more that suitable for using mouse_X on yaw.
    Link in my sig, it should be on the last post.
  7. Ronin Oni

I don't honestly care. I've stated in multiple request threads that I don't oppose them adding an option.

Just don't expect them too... and I definitely don't remember them ever saying that they'd add it. Ever. And I've been pretty stalkerish with anything devs say.
  8. Boomotang

They ARE communicating to their player-base via this official forum.
  9. Who Garou

If I understand things properly,
    1) you actually have to have a SOE game account to post on the SOE forums.
    2) You DO NOT have to have a SOE game account in order to post regarding PS2 on any of the other media outlets.

So the DEVs have more respect for input and communication to people that may not (and the majority of those on those other media outlets DO NOT) have SOE game accounts.

Interesting.

Who are they playing to?
    The potential new player?
    Or is it some self glorification trip?

I guess it's just the "now" thing to do, and the DEVs are locked in some techno-euphoric trance.
    Snow Crash!

I would like to say to the DEVs "Get your head out of the social media and back into the game."
    Take the "game" part as you will.
  10. Who Garou

I kind of thought that was what the OFFICAL PS2 GAME FORUMS were for, but I'm, apparently, way wrong. Perhaps these aren't the OFFICAL PS2 Game Forums, but just some forums linked to by the main Planetside 2 page by mistake.
    • Up x 1
  11. Ken Photon

If I may make a comment, the issue I have with SOE using Reddit or Twitter as their main source of interaction is a bit confusing at first. It's logical for someone new to expect SOE to use their official forums as the way to talk to players. To be honest, I used to have a beef with SOE at first because of this (in fact, my first thread was about this very issue, but it got locked before anyone could respond...).

Don't get me wrong though. I'm okay with it now, and I'm even considering going over to Reddit to see what the devs see in it. I just find it a little confusing for them not to use their own forums as much as other media. But I guess it's just something that people (or just I) need to get used to. As long as they don't neglect to fill the forums in with the big news (which we have to admit they're pretty good at, it's just that they've messed up royally with that one update), I'm okay with it.

I think that the outrage on this issue is from the fact that many may not consider Reddit as much of a part of the community as the forums. And to me, that perception makes some sense.

One would expect the hub or center of the community of a game to a place hosted by the company making the game (i.e. the forums). So some people just consider the other sides to be subsidiaries of the "real" part of the community. I used to think like that. It wasn't because I felt "entitled", it was that I assumed that by going to the forums I would be going directly to the developers (since the developers work for the company that hosts the forums). That's obviously not the way that the community works, but that's a reasonable assumption that people could make.

So, with people assuming that the forums are the main place of dev-player interaction, seeing the devs post more in other sites than the forums would create the image that the devs don't really care about the players. It looks like the devs are paying more attention to random people than their own players in the forums. Again, this perception isn't correct, but it's what people are led to believe.

I feel that the devs should make it clear to everyone that they prefer going to the forums. I think that they're doing that more lately, but that's just a response to the huge amount of complaints about the relationship between Reddit, Forumside, and the community as a whole. Make a sticky post that details how the community is structured (I believe that Carey actually did make a post about that, I just can't find it right now). Just make sure that everyone and their mother knows that Reddit is where the devs like to talk, and Forumside is more for prolonged discussion between players. Then future members would be aware that the PS2 community is composed of multiple parts that are equal in importance.
    • Up x 1
  12. Who Garou

Your point is that they mostly post on Reddit?
  13. Ronin Oni

LOL yeah, I'm sure well over 50% those 34k subscribers to Planetside reddit don't play the game or have SOE accounts at all :rolleyes:

What kind of ridiculous and absurd assumption is this?
    • Up x 1
  14. Ronin Oni

"Official forums" means very little actually.

All it means is the forums hosted by, and moderated by, the game company.

Nothing states that they themselves have to use it.

In fact, I'm pretty sure they regret ever opening these bloody forums, but that ******** over closing them would be 100x worse than this whiny lil thread.
  15. KoS-1

Please stop trying to justify their piss-poor business practices.

I am to assume based on the asinine comments you have made in this thread defending SoE. You have never ran a company/organization or even been involved at the highest levels of management in a company/organization.

In any reputable company these people would be long gone. Period!

But according to the newer generation all is good, anything is cool. What noobs.
    • Up x 8
  16. Crator

It has been demonstrated in this thread that the devs do communicate on these forums... It's just not their primary form of communication... Who says that developers have to communicate at all with the customers? They actually don't... But they do because it is in their best interest... Also, you can see the Twitter and Facebook dev posts on the main forums page...

That being said, they should always have all known issues caused by patches in the update notes on these forums...
    • Up x 1
  17. Boomotang

In any reputable company, they wouldn't require all of their employees to communicate with their customers.

Hmmmm…. kinda like this company… yet they still do…...

That is why the root cause behind this thread's idea is the exact definition of entitlement.
  18. Who Garou

You appear to be apologizing for the DEVs.
    If it makes you feel good, feel free to do so.
    I don't take apologizes for the DEVs actions unless they post the apology themselves.

These are the OFFICAL Forums. They are part of the game/game-community structure that SOE set-up for their games.

SOE DEVs are slack. They can't document their game hardly at all. It's like they are illiterate. They can post a video about something, but they can't do a write-up. So much easier to Tweet something quickly than formulize sentences and paragraphing and to post them here in the forum. It's slack.
    I guess I should give them a break because of all the new coding .... well... oh, wait ... I forgot all the problems with the update ... no not really, just kidding.

It's not just Planetside 2 that has horrible documentation. DCUO and Dragon's Prophet have horrible documentation as well. I have to say it takes balls to create "player-created wiki" about their games - so that the Players do their documentation for them.

In final. It is the DEVs job to reach out to the customers. The customers are the ones paying; they shouldn't have to reach out to the DEVs. The DEVs aren't something to be worshipped - they are there to serve our community.
    Acting like they are a big deal and "important" just swells their heads. They make enough money that they should have a great deal of respect for players, but instead we see how they act.

Like I said, defend them if you like, but I won't take apologies (or excuses) for the DEVs' behavior from a player.
  19. Who Garou

Did you read my post?
    Most of the people that are on Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, etc. are not there because of Planetside 2.or SOE. They are there for other reason.

It just so happens, that the kind of people on social media are more prone to jump into forums that they know nothing about and start slinging around what they think or just plain troll, but hey, I see you are here doing the same thing.
  20. Who Garou

Wow, I have had to start putting people that are just insane on /ignore.

I wonder if the DEVs just put everyone on ignore that criticizes their perfection?
    If that is the case, then they really are pretty pathetic because there are people here taking time to post comments because we would like a better gaming experience.
    I know, why the heck would the DEVs want to do something that achieves that?!

I'm about over going out of my way to try to make it clear my dissatisfaction with the DEVs here.
    They apparently pretty much suck or are just completely distracted from what is going on in their own forums.

I have to say the utter failure and timing of the last big update didn't stop them from dropping another update on a Friday. Even simple things like that can't sink in.
    What that big screw up did was bring me to the forums to try to bring to the DEVs attention how bad things looked.

Tonight, had the lowest population I have ever seen on a Friday night. An outfit I game with usually has a full platoon going, and it couldn't keep two squads full.

The game is still so FUBAR for so many people that they are giving up on it.
    Do the DEVs even care?
    They probably don't even know if they are surrounded by people telling them how great and wise they are.
    Sometimes they are putting a bowl of guano in front of you ... Don't praise them for it.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.