SOE are breaking a pledge to the community with their inaction on ADAD Macros

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Phazaar, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Cloaking

I've never seen anyone use an ADAD macro. Too many people are paranoid on this game.. either that, or they're looking for any excuse to help justify to themselves why they died. I guess it's a break from the usual excuse of the person being a hacker.

People with latency issues who strafe tend to look weird when doing it. That's the real issue, not macros.
    • Up x 3
  2. Garantine

This. The entire thread, along with a complete lack of proof showing us this glitch IN THIS GAME leads me to believe that this entire gripe is nothing but QQ.

I'm not seeing any glitching or unclear movement patterns in the videos shown of PS2 gameplay, and showing us a glitch in PS1 doesn't prove anything.
    • Up x 3
  3. PhiladelphiaCollins

But but, I got killed and that's not supposed to happen!
    • Up x 3
  4. Garantine

I know right. And look at that guy tapping ADAD and moving with normal, clear, patterns without skipping a frame. It must be a glitch!
  5. PhiladelphiaCollins

He's predictably moving side to side in a small area! ******* sorcery!
  6. wingspan

I haven't seen a single video showing actual warping. I see a lot of people jumping on to this, apparently thinking it explains every one of their deaths in the game.

Confirmation bias or just the latest topic to bandwagon and complain about?
    • Up x 1
  7. LibertyRevolution

• Up x 6
  8. wingspan

Thanks. Is that what 'warping' is? Because that looks normal movement in an FPS to me.

Is it honestly that bad to you?
    • Up x 1
  9. SolLeks

That was nothing. In PS1 I got to a point that I could A crouch, space, D, crouch, space, A repete.

That would warp you, and mix that with a jackhammer in a hallway and you don't get hit wile the other guy dies.
  10. Alesteex

Yea I agree. Something should be done about this ADAD warping crap.
    • Up x 1
  11. wingspan

Does warping just mean moving too fast for me to hit reliably? None of the videos on the forums today show teleporting, or lag/loss induced jumping around like someone from Asia exhibits.

Do you see something different than in the video Liberty posted? I don't mean the PS1 video. We don't need to start imagining things.
  12. Alesteex

It's that sporadic unnatural movement. What the player looks like on his screen compared to the guy at the other end are both radically different. He's moving a hell of a lot more rapidly to the other player. It's almost as if the netcode takes a guess at where he's going to be a bumps him up a bit to compensate for latency. Of course when he switches directions it bumps him the other way. It's just not a smooth transition at all, and it really needs to be otherwise it's just a stupid exploit. I want superior tactics to decide a fight, not cheap tricks exploiting faulty network code.
    • Up x 4
  13. LibertyRevolution

Yes, that is what all this QQ is about... Which is why I bothered to make that video to try and put this to rest...
    Basically they can't aim or lead a target, and they wont be happy until we stand still so they can shoot us.
  14. Phazaar

This is what is being complained about. If you are claiming you can lead a target that disappears on one step travelling right, and reappears 3 steps down the staircase also travelling right, you're kidding yourself.

I've enjoyed 'exploit based' gameplay as much as the next guy; A-shoot-D-shoot in CS, bunnyhopping in Quake+CS, I even ******* loved potion stacking in the original Dungeon Siege. Those things all brought something to the games they were in, without adding a random element (random is the opposite of skill-based) nor reminding you of the constantly shoddy netcode in use. It's got no place in PS2.

The community were concerned enough about it that more than a year before launch the devs were already forced to comment on whether it would exist in PS2. They promised the community it wouldn't. There's been no word on whether this was an intentional turn-around because of the few 1337 h4x0rz that believe how fast they spam ADAD defines their abilities as a player, or whether they just haven't got it right yet.

If they've changed their minds, I will retract my 'no place in PS2' statement, and commence using it for as long as I can continue to stomach playing the game. If they haven't got it right yet, it would just be nice to have a 'we're working on it; and you ADAD macroers are gonna get banned.' kinda statement.
    • Up x 4
  15. Udnknome

I like how you ignore my post all together.
    Good one!!. keep posing.
  16. Eugenitor

Yet another problem caused by trusting the client.

When you let the client tell you where it is, instead of where it's trying to go, the client basically tells the server "I'm here, now I'm over there, now I'm back here again." And the server believes it, and the server tells you the same nonsense the warping player told it. It doesn't care. It's not programmed to check for sanity.

I've seen much worse than these videos, including a lagswitching infiltrator who was running at me one minute and teleporting ten feet to the side the next.
    • Up x 1
  17. Eugenitor

Actually, I think I'm going to give everyone the low-down on how this happens, why this happens, and what SOE might be able to do to stop it.

The problem isn't lag per se, the problem is burst packets. Let's say that, no matter what, you send the PS2 servers (Just upstream, not downstream; you still see everything happening in real time) information every 200 milliseconds. So, from the server's perspective, the "conversation" goes something like this:

0 ms:
    Server: "This guy is in front of you."
    Client: "I'm moving to the right."

100 ms:
    Server: "This guy is shooting at you."
    Client: *crickets*

200 ms:
    Server: "This guy is shooting at you."
    Client: "Oh hey! Since you last heard from me, I strafed this far to the left and shot him this many times."
    Server: "Thanks for telling me, I'll go ahead and immediately update your position to your newest reported value, even if it is a couple of meters away from the place you were last. And I'll go ahead and register all those hits you told me about too, all at once."

So, if you send packets every 200 ms exactly, and you ADADAD in time with them, you warp every fifth of a second, regardless of the other player's connection.

Normally it doesn't work exactly like this, and I'm pretty sure most of the people doing this don't have that kind of control over their computers/routers. However, if upstream bandwidth is saturated (e.g. torrents) or it's just a bad connection, this kind of thing happens on its own, and people playing in this kind of bad connection learn quickly how fast they have to ADADAD to avoid getting hit.

The solution? Stop trusting the client. Any time a whole lot of burst packets come at once, slow them down, and process them in the order they were received. Anyone trying to warp finds himself simply running back and forth later than he would have otherwise.

Predictive latency compensation (known to Quake enthusiasts as "pushlatency") on your screen when you're trying to aim at an ADADADer only makes things worse, as your client "predicts" the exact opposite of what happens. I really wish I could just turn predictive latency compensation off, period.
    • Up x 2
  18. Nocturnal7x

Let me be clear for anyone who may be confused by this statement, now I don't speak for nyscha, but let me try to make this clearer for people, if I understand that is haha (failing so far no?)

Anyway, if your character could move the way the enemy is portrayed to move on screen this complaint would be invalid. I think our point is that the extreme adad straffing artifact is caused by how often an enemies position is updated client to client. Some may not even know they are doing it, some definitly do.

Thats my take on this movement bug in game anyway.
  19. LibertyRevolution

The video you posted is worthless as many have already said.. the guy is hacking...
    Now go look at my video.. that is ADADADA from a non hacker...
  20. Rentago

hahaha
    HAHAHAHA

do you really think they have anything anti cheat? They just have active moderators who respond to reports, I don't think they have ANYTHING, unless it is punkbuster.