So PS4 development wasn't going to effect the PC

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NinjaTurtle, Apr 9, 2015.

1. NinjaTurtle

That is what was said when development was started for PS4

Now I understand the lay off meant that the staff remaining had to be diverted to porting the PS4 version, this is understandable

What is not is why mechanics and control schemes have to be the same on each

The flight controls. Why must they be changed on PC to account for PS4?

Why can they not be left separate?

The UI on PS4 is different to PC, no parity was needed here. The PS4 version has other graphical differences that did not need to be made parable to the PC version.

So with this in mind why do flight controls have to be ****** to satisfy another version when other elements work fine being separate?

• Up x 1
  2. Isokon

Maybe because controls are not graphical elements?
    • Up x 1
  3. Wargrim

Did you really believe them? Honest question.

Supporting multiple platforms always leads to compromises. There is no way they will develop and support two seperate games. This is only the beginning. Once the PS4 version is out, we will see more adjustments based on the need of console players, that might not always meet the needs of PC players.
    • Up x 3
  4. sjtw_w_stot

Yeah, low pop on PS2 now. They may try to merge the 2 in a last ditch effort to save the game. Reduce PC mechanics to match controllers. Will be interesting if they do try it.
  5. Vamperial

They specifically stated in the patch notes they needed to combine the control code because splitting it wasn't an option. GUI has always been a separate element in modern games so that was probably easy to separate and maintain. Controls are a core part of the game and can't be separated and maintained in that state easily. This was obvious when they first started changing core control code months ago.

If we hear anything from DGB it will probably be regarded by many as bull ****.
  6. NinjaTurtle

I am aware of that

My question was why they can't keep them separate. I am asking for an actual answer not a snide comment that says literally nothing

What are the technological reasons for it? Aside from the technology just isn't there or we are too lazy to maintain two slightly different versions
  7. Alan Kalane

haven't tested the new flight controls just yet.
    But I guess it's because joystick is analog unlike keyboard.

As to why they couldn't just make separate controls for both versions... patch notes state clearly that they wanted to unify the control schemes so they wouldn't have to create two separate interpretations of input physics (more work). As I said before joystick is analog(low/high) and keyboard is not and that leads to problems with certain controls like yaw which was digital(on/off) before the update.
  8. NinjaTurtle

So why does it effect the air game?

What about the infantry game, that is controlled differently as well. Maybe when they **** infantry controls to this forums will kick up a **** storm
  9. SovietSandwhich

All they would have to do to fix this would be to have digital input devices like mouse and keyboard come in at 100% input, not gradually increasing as is the case with analogue.

There should be an option for this or it should even be set as default.

That way controller and joystick users get a control model that they can work with, and the digital users, like most of us, will have their experience unchanged.
  10. CapEnTrade

Freaking game-pads suck and make you worse, a half decent mouse and keyboard will ALWAYS BE BETTER, PERIOD!
    There is NO justification for this sort of BS in OUR version of the game.

PS4 chumps can have their crap, I don't care, but DO NOT do stupid crap like this where they cripple everyone on the PC for something pretty much NOBODY uses, and if they are using a game pad, they are living in a false reality and SHOULD NOT be using if they care at all about their performance.
  11. Thunde333

Cant they use this patch on PS4 client and then dont add it on PC client.
  12. MuggieWara

AFFECT! AAAAAAAAAA -FFECT!

(Sorry,couldnt ignore and im Greek for Christ's sake!)
    • Up x 1
  13. Alan Kalane

Look,
    I don't have a PS4 so I don't know what the controls are on PS4 so I can only speculate.
    Why it didn't affect the infantry game? Well, looking around is analog so it fits game pads, nothing to change here.
    As for movement... they probably have a separate button for sprinting like on PC so also nothing to change here...
    but for strafing... I'm pretty sure they had to do a separate control scheme here, otherwise PS4 players could only walk in 8 directions total (just like PC players) but then again, this game is a bit infantry-centered and not so many people enjoy flying...
    Or maybe they will do the same to infantry and tanks when the time comes...
  14. Rhumald

It isn't as straight forward as that, aircraft controls don't use a single speed adjustment like infantry and tanks generally do, you control a lot of your movements with the mouse, instead of just aiming. This probably has affected the ground game, you just can't really see it. It's a welcome change for people who'd like to fly with a joystick, and you can play with your sensitivity controls to make it feel as natural as possible. when they first tried to implement it everyone was complaining that it was too easy to maneuver, which is a bit insane IMO. Adjust to a faster paced environment yo.
  15. Dowlphin

This reminds me of Blizzard stating that WoW's default bag was limited to 16 slots because it is an integral part of the game code and changing it at this point would require immense effort.
    WoW code apparently is quite the organically grown mess.
    I expect differently from a game that has a "2" in the game and is intended as a replacement for the first installment.
  16. Kentucky Windage

The patch just didn't effect non controller players. I had issues all day with my keybinding settings for my Xbox 360 Thrustmaster GTX controller. While sprinting my player would just stop and crouch, while jumping I would throw ammo, and while driving my Prowler and Lightning turning left actually turned me right and so forth. Animations seemed slow yet my FPS was at 65 to 70. I reset everything twice and man I had an absolutely miserable day.
  17. Mythologicus

Clearly the logical thing to do is start playing with gamepads on the PC.

What? Don't look at me like that, people do it all the time. For some reason.
  18. Silkensmooth

The only thing to do is to cancel your accounts, if you have them.

It is unlikely to be fixed due to the fact that there aarent many of us left, we dont spend enough money anymore etc.

This is yet another example of why F2P games are bad.

If we all paid a monthly subscription we would have more power.

If most of the people who play arent paying then they really dont care what we think, they will cater to the people who are spending money i.e. new players.

I just cancelled my account because of flight changes.
    • Up x 1
  19. Dowlphin

Have you ever played World of Warcraft?
    Power comes from NOT paying. If you pay monthly subs, the suits in business will regard you as easily exploitable addicts.
    Some are smart enough to learn, others are hell-bent on going down the dark path.

Blizzard exploits pretty much any type of income opportunity with WoW (almost the full range imaginable), and the game is run like it was a Russian backyard garage business, too. ... Probably worse.
  20. TheShrapnelKing

My chances of continuing to play this game are now dwindling.

I will not now, I will NOT, accept having control problems. It was FINE. Now you're going to **** up YET ANOTHER PART OF THIS GAME to make the game work with controllers.

I have put up with too much **** and let too much SLIDE because there is no game like Planetside, and I refuse to go back to Battlefield, and Steam boycotted COD over dedicated servers so no one plays it; I'm **** at Counterstrike, I've played TF2 to death - so now I'm going to have nothing. All my multiplayer FPS options are gone. My favourite genre.

How far you have fallen.

WTF do I do now? Play through Skyrim again? I mean I love that game and I haven't touched it in two years but....I already put 800 hours into it....so...you know what **** it I'mma play through DX3 again.