So, Phoenix now one-shots ESF as well as infantry. Why?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by St0mpy, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Czuuk

Actually it is rocket science. Precision guided rocket science to be exact.
    • Up x 1
  2. Shockwave44

Get out more.
    • Up x 2
  3. Dragonblood

It was precise enough to destroy my cloaked flash at full speed. XD
  4. hansgrosse

Okay, I have a couple points to make here.

1) Those who are complaining about its ability to kill infantry have clearly not used the thing. Moving infantry are extremely difficult to effectively target, especially when they're moving erratically. If you're standing still, on the other hand, then I could likely have pegged you with the default launcher anyhow.

2) Those who are complaining about its ability to kill ESF's have clearly not used the thing. The Phoenix projectile's relatively low flight speed and 300 meter range mean that it takes either dumb luck or a ******* hoverpodder to kill an ESF with it, and in these conditions I could likely have pegged it with the default launcher anyhow.

See a pattern there? The Phoenix's drawbacks counterbalance its benefits. It absolutely excels in certain scenarios and is completely useless in others, just like any other launcher.

The only idea I can really get behind in the ESF damage debate is to give the ESF a special lock-on tone when it is being targeted by a Phoenix round. I think this would be a more than fair counterbalance. As far as infantry go, don't stand still out in the open. If you died to a Phoenix, you were going to die a split second later in a hail of bullets anyway.
    • Up x 1
  5. Wintermaulz

Let me know when you hit a moving aircraft with the phoenix, then well talk.
    • Up x 1
  6. Poka

Apparently there is a problem with the pheonix rendering, this is an issue, no one should to to things they have no way of knowing is even there. It was like the old lock-ons that would suddenly gib a vehicle without warning (or being visible) and the players were outside draw distance.

That's the big problem with the gun, the second is firing out of spawn rooms, this is too much safety in open areas and negates the big drawback of the pheonix. A free kill on an immobile target.

If you're an infantry, and you get killed by the pheonix that rendered, it's your fault. They are terribly slow and can't turn fast enough to keep up with someone changing directions. If you keep dying in an area from pheonix, take a different doorway, the angle of attack on a pheonix is limited.

If you're an ESF and you got killed by a pheonix, you would have been killed by a dumbfire and the HA who fired that dumbfire would have been much safer (and likely would have been able to get more shots off).

The latest change to the rocket was a nerf except for the damage to air.
    • Up x 1
  7. Shockwave44

Learn to spell phoenix first.

Second, what noob uses a AV weapon against infantry? Oh right, the NC.

Oh so very wrong it hurts. I've shot decimators at ESFs that will slightly change positions by moving up a few feet so I miss completely. If I had a phoenix, I would have adjusted as well to still hit it.

Like the faster reloading speed. That's a nerf too.
  8. St0mpy

Presuming perfect knowledge that a missile approaches. Since it rarely even renders thats not a fair argument.

Now if the thing made a whine louder than a reaver that might be fair.
  9. y3ivan

softies never learn

10. ShureShot

Well St0mpy, just be glad you didn't get shafted with the Lancer. That thing is so bad you wouldn't even want it for free.

Using manna turret or any kind of infantry fighting against NC now gets pretty boring pretty fast. Flying lib above TR territory is just aggrevating. I don't even know who I am supposed to fight anymore, maybe time to go back to P4F (LOL).

On top of that, I lost 15 of my weapons after GU05. Why SOE, WHY?
    • Up x 1
  11. Falcon_BR

*Scumbag SOE warns they don't want the Lancer to be an infantry killing sniper cannon*

*makes the Phoenix an infantry killing sniper cannon*

*buffs Phoenix to 1hko ESFs, does nothing to the Lancer or Striker*

Seriously, who the **** is responsible for these decisions? How do they still have a job?
    • Up x 2
  12. Shockwave44

Yeah, that looks real interesting...
  13. Shockwave44

They need start over and bring in 3 new people to lead this, a VS player, a TR player and an NC player. Not just one guy at the helm, its clearly not working.
  14. MGP

It seems to me, what you're enjoying playing easy-mode faction even more. It's good to be an NC. So much loving from developers. One day they will give the NC a weapon where you just type a player name in it, and the player dies, even if he's on the other continent. And ofcourse NC will say it's perfectly ballanced.
  15. LordMondando

Phoniex and scatmax, everything else average at best. In any sort of infantry engaement at medium-short range (thus 95% of all infantry engagements) i'd rather have my TR or VS (specifically, I'm a fan of the Trac, Carv and of course, the Orion and Solstice). Vanguard is a massive pile of meh most times, Reaver. well... massive hitbox, off alignment main gun, flies like a brick with a jet engine attached.

This far into the game and given people can have multiple characters, if you want to get a good comparative at least in terms of starting kit for all 3 sides, its not that hard. I'm only BR 7 VS and TR. But its enough to get a vague feel for the fact that NC still (despite what forumsides perception is) a slight disadvantage at 'close in' engagmenets, where RoF is still the most important stat, and nearly all (and all starting Nc weapons) their weapons are woeful.

As i've said dozens of times now, missle rendering urgently needs fixed for a number of reasons. The phoniex (which no one ever said was just AV) simply highlights this issue more than even. fundamentally the real balance issues are coming from the render engines current limitations. Its not fair to be killed by a missle you simple cannot see, and thus, cannot in any way potentially react to. Needs fixing, fast.

I also think they need to continue tweaking the glancer, and TR do need some sort of 'full control, high damage' weapon in the future. I sugget there the upcoming arty attachments for the MBT should be explored in this light.
  16. MGP

I wouldn't even bother reading all this crap. I know you. You're the guy dirt-talking in /yell channel 24/7. Judging by your slang, you're very immature and angry type of player, and it makes me wonder why you haven't been banned for verbal abuse yet.
  17. LordMondando

Its hard really to know how to respond to this. Perhaps beyond the fact that most of BRTD seems to get the fact that when I shout that 'space communists, you no take candle' over /yell. They get there's a joke in there somewhere. Even the goonies get it, so yeah..

Abuse.. srsly?

Maybe its not translating well to non-English speakers. I don't know. Maybe its just that to an online FPS audience i'm something new. I mean I do scream 'having fun is the important thing' quite a bit, maybe the only light you can take that in is 'abusive'.

In fact, I don't think i've ever said anything over yell, i'd describe using the adjectives 'angry' or 'abusive'. '********' 'drunken' 'whimsical' maybe..

Anyway, made a bunch of points there, you can respond to them, or go into a sulk about perceived slights. the choice, is up to you. toodles.
  18. Raggamuffin

I find it so amusing that people think NC are overpowered at the moment. We have the worst ESF and arguably the worst MBT (WTF VANGUARD SHIELD STILL NOT FIXED!?) and you go on and on about two things that just manage to keep us in the game, our apparently OP scat maxes and this damn phoenix? You already have a stronger alternative in the AV Turret. Come on guys smarten up.
  19. Karmak85

its a bait and switch.. SOE wants everyone to go nc buy themselfs shiny new things for SC then theyll nerf them into the ground
    And then it will be VS and then TR and on and on and on

After some time theyll introduce a 4th faction that will kill everything with one shot
  20. MayorD

cause only TRolls and Spandexmen can rule the game. Fair enough.
    whats the topic? ah, yea, poor ESF... now... The Liberator can outrun the old phoenix rocket. now it is even slower.. guess what? To hit ESF is a lucky strike, done.