So now the building system is in place

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Celeris, Apr 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celeris

...and armoured gameplay is somewhat more emphasised. Can we get the cancer cannon gatekeeper toned down? You guys nerfed the saron and enforcer some time ago to bring them to shorter range because "you wanted armour combat to be more close in and decisive", paraphrased from your patch notes from then. Then you go and put in the gatekeeper? The drop and CoF bloom changes were completely ineffectual and we still have GKs relentlessly pounding targets of all types from render range and requiring little skill to do so.

Hundreds of people have been telling you why the GK is poorly designed and why it's so obviously over-effective at long ranges, yet it's still making tanking a frustrating exercise in futility when you're facing a weapon system that can shut you down with almost no skill while you have almost NO way to retaliate.

Bring the GK effective engagement range to something comparable to what the Enforcer and Saron as well as the tank main guns can manage and the weapon will be balanced. The DPS is fine even the nearly endless magazine and blazing fast reload speed is sort of fine, all we're asking for is to not endlessly be facing harassers and tanks parked on ridge lines, 600+ meters out making any open space inaccessible to VS and NC armour.
    • Up x 1
  2. Taemien

You do realize that a GK is nullified by Engineers right? Like 1 Engineer can out repair 2-3 Gatekeepers hitting a building or structure.

Gatekeepers are HORRIBLE for attacking buildings. The DPS is way too low.

Which means the forums will start whining about the vulcan again. Just you see.
  3. Celeris

This perpetuating of the fallacy that the GK has poor dps needs to ******* end. It's got the same DPS as the saron when you need to take CoF bloom into effect (ANY range beyond about 50m) and the same DPS roughly as the enforcer. It's NOT a low DPS weapon, not at all. If you only bothered to take the time to go look for the information yourself, you'd find dozens of videos showing the GK TTK against a variety of vehicles and it outperforms the enforcer on sunderers for example. All the while it's able to apply that DPS out to 500-600 meters with out any problem.

It's the range on the thing that is problematic. If you calculate the sphere of influence of the various secondaries, given the volume of a sphere is 4/3 * pi * r^3 and a hemisphere (all that area above ground) you can see how much more effective a weapon that lands shots out to 600m+ is compared to one that only can reliably land shots out to 250m.

The gatekeeper can influence a hemisphere of volume 450,000,000 m3, the volume of influence of the saron and enforcer is only around 65,000,000 m3, ie, the GK can influence an area 7 times as large. It's this massive sphere of influence that makes the GK so unbelievably overpowered.
    • Up x 4
  4. Taemien

DPS matters when its not enough to matter. That's the point I was making. All AV secondaries seem to be suffering from this against structures. Only massed fire combined with Main Tank Cannons will cause destruction to a building. Who the hell cares if the GK is the 'best' weapon to kill AFK turrets with? You're not even there to experience it.

As for vehicles, I don't give two sh-ts if the GK could hit warpgate to warpgate. That doesn't matter when cover, concealment, and simply pressing W or S can avoid the projectile. I've used the GK and when I get kills its because the target is dumb as a rock. I've been NC and have had the GK used against me. You just move.

I'm going to tell the NC and VS what I told the VS and TR when the Phoenix was released. Learn to adapt, roll over and just die, or quit.
  5. Septus

personally I havent had all the much of an issue with GK ever, i have always thought the vulcan was way OP though, especially in AA, they are better than walker. as to your argument on the GK : sitting in cover is not a viable option, tanks mostly exist to push the line, if one faction can prevent the enemy from pushing and forces them to sit in cover, they win, as their tanks can push. 1 GK is no issue, but a few organized ones can totally prevent enemies from moving up, I rarely see this though, usually it is just 1 lone one just being a nuisance.
  6. Celeris

So, the DPS doesn't matter, except that it's the same as the other secondaries? So, you agree then, trying to claim the GK is underpowered because it has low DPS is a false claim, good we have that sorted.

That's all well and fine, when there is cover. Take for example the area around indar Ex, vast areas of no cover and other large open spaces on Indar. TR can and do lock down those areas and make it almost impossible to get any vehicle through those areas without clear and overwhelming numbers. The same can be said for vast swathes of Essamir too. I could do the math to show you that with 450m/s velocity that it's almost impossible to dodge GK shots with the acceleration your average tank or lightning has except at ranges where you won't render anyway, but I'm sure you realised that was the case when you tried yet another disingenuous argument when the DPS one you'd already tried was debunked.

Or we could light a fire under the dev's arses and get something that is clearly broken with the game fixed. Wrel wouldn't have to make videos accusing vets of ruining DBGs game if DBG themselves took some simple steps to ******* fix it.
  7. Khallixtus

Vulcan DPS: 2226 at 10m (this isn't including the spin up of the weapon)
    Enforcer DPS: 500
    Saron DPS: 1420, 568 if you wait the necessary half second to retain great accuracy.
    Gatekeeper DPS: 453

Your arguments of it having the same DPS are very much invalid, because the actual data shown here proves that it has much less. The only real advantage it has is that it can keep on landing this damage at long range reliably and has a large magazine size.

It is indeed strong, but only at range. It is very weak close up. It has its strengths and weaknesses, but it isn't overpowered.
    Try to remember that Popular does not equal Overpowered.
  8. Celeris

Those are raw damage numbers without resists taken into account. The GK takes down stuff just as fast as other ES secondaries.
  9. Celeris

If the GK was balanced with the halberd, TR people might actually use the halberd but almost no-one does. The Saron and Enforcer are roughly balanced with the halberd, NC and VS people DO use the halberd. So yes, popular can indicate overpowered.
    • Up x 3
  10. orangejedi829

I watched some poor soul yesterday trying to setup a base away from the front lines, but everything he made got destroyed almost immediately by a GK Prowler that was on some cliff so far off in the distance that I needed a zoom scope to see him. I felt really sorry for the guy who was probably just trying to learn the construction system, and I wanted to at least shoo the Prowler off, but there was literally no way to retaliate.

It was pathetic.

"Cancer Cannon" sums up the Gatekeeper pretty perfectly, IMO.
    • Up x 3
  11. orangejedi829

I don't think I've seen a single Halberd Prowler since the GK was released.
    That's not exaggeration; I really can't recall seeing a single one, ever.
    • Up x 4
  12. Bassmeant1

"who was probably just trying to learn the construction system"

he learned.
    he learned the first rule of real estate:

location location location
    • Up x 6
  13. TrolKabu

Also a Vulcan on the top of this same Prowler wouldn't have change anything to the end of this story.

And I did see Halberd, even yesterday. Like at least 6 Prowlers on 12-15 had an Halberd, it's not a bad percentage for a "GK everywhere world". By the way it's pretty efficient against HIVEs.
  14. Armcross

I was bombarding an enemy build base west of regent rock from Techplant hex. Not too effective as I only destroy 1 structure with my whole ammo capacity. At first they don't have effective way to retaliate against me. After I came back from resupply 3 enemy air units waiting and destroys me. They adapted to the situation and succeed. I wish more players can adapt more than complain.
    • Up x 1
  15. AxiomInsanity87

I've only seen aphelions and mjolnirs too.

Might be something to do with each empire finally getting what they Should have had on release? No?

Of course - evil tr conspiracy brought to you by Karls junior.
    • Up x 1
  16. FateJH

Well, learn to adapt, and get the rocket rendering properly.
  17. Laundefa

The fact that you use the word "cancer" is reason enough to report you. You are a slimy bastard for using those kind of words that for many of us have an enormous negative emotional charge.

On topic, the prowler never needed to have so much synergy with its secondary and the main guns will excel at destroying fortifications in comparison with the others, especially at long range. The saron and enforcer where indeed nerfed for those reasons, making the GK a really bad choice to put in the game in this way. I would rather have it work on the ranges of the enforcer, but with lots of COF if not controlled.
    It is yet another high DPS weapon with good correction possibilities (a few shots to gauge distance won't be missed in the rocket rain), increasing the long range power of the TR to insanity.
    • Up x 1
  18. orangejedi829

Look up the definition of 'cancer' before you get so triggered.
    2. Any evil condition or thing that spreads destructively; blight.
    Calling something that is bad for the game a "cancer" is perfectly legitimate.
    • Up x 2
  19. Laundefa

Yes you are right, and I very well know this. You are still an idiot, as many people link it to the disease. You are very well capable of using different words with the same negative charge without triggering unrelated emotions, so you should do so.
    • Up x 1
  20. Gundem

Your blatant insulting is far greater reason to report you.

If you could take a moment to look past your SJW banner, you'd realize that direct insults are against the ToS, yet the reference of "Cancer" in a statement that CLEARLY has nothing to do with the idea that any person or individual should get cancer is not against the ToS?
    • Up x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.