So long Higby.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ribero, Feb 12, 2015.

1. iller

already have, I'll be in Overwatch soon enough, and maybe BF if anyone wants to come farm me for Certs.
    No Hive though, they were the reason I started giving up before it was even hip
  2. LT_Latency

That is the CM's job.

Reddit is not an official meeting with the presiednt of another country
  3. Takara

Actually...its the equivalent. If the creative director of a company makes a passive statement about his project anywhere there is little difference. Higsby saying he wanted to change the way tanks worked on Reddit is considered an official comment of the game. In fact more accurate changes were posted on reddit then the actual Sony website. If you ran a company...would you ask your customers to go down the street away from your buisness...or ask them to go to another company to inquire about your product?

But I can see you let the idea get by you....when you are a figure head of something...where you say something doesn't matter. It's still considered viable and company policy to the public. If he decided to let loose closed door information on Reddit doesn't mean he is suddenly free and clear of any issues that would come from that information's release. The truth of the matter is, the offical forms should be the first place information is dropped or rumors are quashed.....this is their stomping grounds why would they have less freedoms here as you suggested?

It's a bad way to run a company and a project. It is one of the reasons why PS2 has had such a rough time. They treat their consumers poorly. When it comes to how things have gone down in the last two years...it has been an organized failure, two years in and only just turned a profit? Hrmmm.
    • Up x 1
  4. LT_Latency

It's totally different. You think this is the only game where dev are more option on non offical websites???

They do this because people on these forums will store every single post for years and come back with tears in there eyes saying it was a official post and they are liars because something changed. If it's on reddit you can just be talking about your idea in an official setting.

The CM filter everything and they provide official responses on these forums. Everything here is more closely watched and managed
  5. Takara

You don't this this happens no matter what forum your on? Every comment any of them make on Reddit or twitter ends up here anyway......

Truth is...a healthy company and CM would have an area that is specifically designed for them to discuss the changes they are considering, or ideas for the game. THAT is what a community is. If you never actually talk on your forums, there is zero point of them.

The reason PS1 had such a loyal following was exactly that...the people who made the games actually were on the forums. They would actually care about the community. It is not totally different, it is a symptom of poor CM and game development. If your own team doesn't want to be involved in the community why would your actual paying customers.
  6. Desann

As many have said before, Higby leaving can either be a good sign, or a bad sign to the future of this game.

I will state my OPINIONS, and they are my OPINIONS. In my OPINION, this game is moving in a direction that is concerning for me. Since the early days of this game, more and more of the PLANETSIDE aspects of this game are being replaced with shiny new "modern" mechanics of other shooters. The fact is, this game is NOT other shooters. It is PLANETSIDE. I played the first game since 2007, and loved it. Sure I unsubbed a few times for a month or two, but I always came back.

As for the SOE --> daybreak shift. I don't know if this is for better or worse. I played SWG and Planetside 1 for years. both about the same time. The things that happened to SWG upset me, and now it seems this game is down spiraling. I have absolutely ZERO...i repeat Z E R O interest in any of the other games on SOE(Daybreaks) inventory.

I hope that new people will come in and give some new energy and innovation to this game, while sticking with traditions from PS1. /tiphat to Higby, but honestly I am with others in that I did not agree with a lot of your ideas. While I respect you for having passion for this game, the things you pushed for, in my OPINION, where not the best ideas. Best of luck to you. (assuming you even read these forums)
  7. AlterEgo

[IMG]
    2012-2015. You were one of the best, man.

Maybe even the best.
  8. LT_Latency

all those people are on Reddit and twitter or playing with him in the test server talking to him.

There he would take the time to answer peoples question directly for long periods of time, ask peoples opinions on new ideas he had or new balance changes and set up testing events on the test server where he would play with the players and talk about the new changes and what players though about them. ect ect ect.

Anyone that really wanted to talk that much knows how to find him/
  9. ExarRazor

finally. maybe the game can finally get back on the right track and realize it's full potential.

higby never should have been in charge in the first place.

hopefully the new guys will start doing things right
    • Up x 1
  10. TheRunDown

Higby wasn't a bad guy, but he was clearly a CoD fan..
    Sad to see him go as a player, he even added two of my ideas in to the game before he suddenly stopped replying to emails..
    But as a developer I'm very glad I don't have to hear about MLG anymore..
    PlanetSide 2 is not a MLG game.. No more Test Server Hijacking for MLG! Whoohooo!

MLG on PC in a MMO is like bringing all the teenagers From Xbox Live and putting us with them in one huge Voice Comm.
    It creates too much Toxicity and foul mouthed verbal trolling.

But all seriousness, I think Higby has done well with his career, PlanetSide 2 made a huge amount of money in the first year (just milked it for a tad too long), and I hope he finds something Exciting and Greater to work on.
  11. SShocK

Good riddance !
    • Up x 1
  12. Eddy

Can't say I'll miss this self absorbed ******. He's the reason why this game has been stagnating HORRIBLY for 2 years and why today it looks and feels worse than when it came out.

No PhysX anymore, no motion blur to make me forget the fact that PS 2 runs at 40 FPS in big fights on a computer that runs Far Cry 4 at 150 FPS and AC Unity at 110 FPS, textures look like low res dog****, all sorts of crap that makes this game look like Team FOrtress 2 more than Planetside, etc.

Maybe now they will focus on un****ing this game up on the technical and gameplay side, because if I don't start to see real changes soon, I am cancelling my AllAccess and never spending a dime on this game again. I have 600 dollars in this game already.
    • Up x 2
  13. CapEnTrade

CapEnTrade Prediction ~ Chronic Condition.

A couple community managers drop out.
    TRay drops out
    Several of the largest PS2 YouTubers drop out
    SOE is acquired by DGC
    Higby drops out (likely a laid off type situation)
    several devs drop out (likely a laid off type situation)
    New PS2 content at an all time low.
    PS2 video production on the community YT side at an all time low
    Game is quite broken by just a sheer amount of bugs and server issues.

Your average PS2 player at this point...

[IMG]

DGC has shown that its plan started with cutting back on a fair bit of staff and maintenance. Community is largely in-confident in the game as of this moment, many are quitting or at least canceling subscriptions. This is because the game is bug-broken/slow and has been for FAR to long. The recent acquisition and staff removal has NOT helped.

PS2 looks as if it will be taking a back seat and the company as a whole may be sold off like a slave at an auction to the highest bidder. It is unlikely Planetside 2 will turn around, and has a long and painful death in store.

I'm concerned. But all good things come to an end.
    [IMG]
    Goodnight.
  14. Markxxx

Finally this clown is gone.

Notable item on his track record:
    1. Keeping adding new features without ever fixing the basic game. The game crashes, freezes and stutters. Physx is gone too.
    2. Have no idea how to balance the game. Well maybe too many ideas that did not work. While still adding new features with broken balance.
    3. Totally ignore the fan base by bypassing the official game forum and used reddit. This is very unprofessional and alienates the fan base.

I feel all he did was a long list of new contents so he could list them out at his year end performance review, at the expense of quality of the game.

He might be passionate and proud of his own ideas, but running a game team needs way more than that. Hopefully the next guy has some real expertise to bring to ps2. ps2 had such great concept, current implementation still has much to improve (or fix)...
    • Up x 4
  15. metrotw

This is what happens when you put a QA guy in charge of a game as "creative director".

Hopefully NC :eek: management realizes that Smed is just as much to blame for SOE's many missteps and cans him too.
    • Up x 3
  16. general guan yu

Any prophets out there calling doom and predicting the sky will fall are silly. Did you guys even read the glassdoor for SOE? The complaints make the place sound, at best, inefficiently managed / staffed to the detriment of the game, and at worst like Dunder Mifflin with Smedley as Michael Scott.
  17. Tricycle

I'm a tad puzzled about the responses here. This guy Higby managed to create a sequel to Planetside which had very little "Planetside" left in it. He replaced the best part of the predecessor with this mindless spawn-room-camp-fest which dominates the entire gameplay. I'm talking about the huge battles outside the bases which utilized the landscape. Both of the opposing empires would have to rely on destroyable spawns which was pretty much the complete opposite of this unimaginative static gameplay of PS2 where battles are always fought at the spawn room.

I'm sure this sounds harsh, but I'm personally disappointed to not have seen him leave sooner and I truly question his capabilities as a designer.
  18. QQlazors

[IMG]

Just had to.

EDIT: GOSH DARN IT IMAGESHACK

Y U SO TINY
  19. Leftconsin

I don't know what game you're playing, but I just played in a few open field battles just now.

Also, I played Planetside 1 when it was free to play. I HATED PLANETSIDE ONE! I like this game.