So is the current game flow set in stone?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sixstring, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Sixstring

I'm asking about base capture specifically,will it always be exactly like it is now? Right now the gameplay is just standing on various control points that for some reason EVEN after having them captured hundreds of times no hard barriers are ever put around them. It doesn't make sense that the control points are so easy to access and it makes the game feel very one dimensional seeing as there are only two/three objectives in the game two of which are optional (SCU's and shield generators). So why don't they layer the standard base capture into steps and more importantly make the individual base objectives necessary to complete in order to capture bases something like this

Some kind of system where the objectives flow together leading up to capturing the base this could be as simple as adding shielded rooms which contain the capture points which can only be accessed after blowing a shield gen and capturing the point makes the SCU (which every base should have) vulnerable. This gives the game more focus and direction while making immediate objectives obvious until the fight is over instead of standing around long after a base is won doing nothing because we can't move to the next base yet. The current set-up also makes Zerging worse since the bases have no objectives other than bring more people,capture the point and then watch the spawn room since it is more effective to deny the enemy access to the base than to fight there and let them leave the spawn.

So this is where I would change the mission system the system needs to be automated based on population rather than just controlled by individual squads,platoons and outfits. It needs to accomplish the much needed role of sending players where they are most needed and dividing Zergs into smaller more balanced forces. For example if there was a huge 60+ Zerg and they captured a base half the Zerg should get a mission in one direction and half in another while still allowing them to reinforce each other. I always go wherever the mission marker is but if there were more flashing lights and an indication that there would be support at different bases more people would spread out and the game could have more balanced battles. Also it wouldn't hurt to have a more immersive and goal oriented experience by having the respective faction commander's give the player direct orders to move to specific bases and then have the voice lead you through objectives once you arrive.

Finally "lone wolves" need an alternative to the standard squad system so I would suggest a separate grouping option entirely. 95% of the time I am not in a squad because there is not enough work to do and it gets boring,so instead why doesn't the game just automatically place unsquaded players in groups of twelve and give them "Points of action" or action zones on the mini map to move towards where there is a fight happening(away from the spawn room of course)? The players could even get experience for reaching these points and it would GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO DO AWAY FROM THE SPAWN ROOM. Which is the biggest cause of spawn camping right now the game doesn't give players a reason to not camp the spawn room because there are no other objectives. This same action zone system could work well for squads as well btw. Anyway that's it.
  2. jadebenn

I do agree with staged assaults, but the problem I see with this is that we'd see ANOTHER redo of all bases. Personally, I think the AMP station is a very good model of how do do base design, with an outer perimeter, a vehicle separating wall, an inner perimeter, and the interior (blocked by shields).
  3. Sixstring

But it wouldn't need to be a major overhaul as much as just adding a few doors here and there and barriers to the objectives that are already in place. The current base structure isn't bad it's just not restricting enough because the objectives can be attacked in any order or not at all so there are no single objectives for the defenders and attackers to focus on. Right now it's just about having more people because there is no specific objective to protect or attack,it's not like "Hey if we defend this or attack this we are moving closer to capturing the base." because it doesn't matter if it did base capture would be alot more meaningful from an individual players standpoint. You would know exactly what you did right that lead to victory,allowing for a greater sense of accomplishment.