So if the Vulcan was OP whats the Aphelion??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Villanuk, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Moridin6

anyone whos watched their uparmored sundy melt to one tr harasser knows vulcan needed a slight tone down
    just sayin
  2. Flag

Oh there are some players who are -so- bad I can evade their shots at 20 meters. ;D

If all you do is hold the trigger the Vulcan is an upgrade. To match it with the Aphelion the user needs to have at least a semblance of player skill, something that can't be done on the Vulcan.

Empire Specific Anti Vehicle. Aka Saron, Enforcer, Gatekeeper, Aphelion, Mjölnir, Vulcan.

Oh but the vulcan has been OP in the past. Not -the- most broken weapon to have been in the game but OP? Oh yes it has been so.
    If demonstrating that the Vulcan has never been OP was your intention then you've set yourself an impossible goal.

As for moaning, every faction does it. Heh, especially TR actually.
  3. Villanuk

4. Flag

Because to make it actually compete on damage with the Vulcan the user has to know how to make good use of the discharge, which isn't just "count to 6". With the Vulcan you flat out cant do anything fancy that relies on the skill of the user, there just isn't anything with the gun where such things matter at all. There's basically "hold M1, wait". If you do the same with the Aphelion it is legit worse than the Vulcan for damage output.

But the Aphelion has potential, but in order to use it the player has to know what to do and be able to make the right calls during play. Such as when to discharge, when not to etc etc. Things that never comes up for the vulcan, ever. In short, to do well with the Aphelion you have to be aware of more things, and do more things than with the Vulcan. In a sense, harder for the sake of being harder, but I don't actually mind that since it lets those who know what to do get some paydirt for their skill.
  5. OldMaster80

When your standard is the Orion I understand it's hard to get used to the idea some weapons might need practice to be used effectively...
    • Up x 2
  6. xMaxdamage

aaaaand thats exactly why they gave you the fastest ttk weapon for close quarter AV combat LOL, enjoy a magrider that now can be more effective where it previously sucked.
  7. Villanuk

Well when i was using it, i erm well aimed, pressed fire and that was it. Not complex at all and quite frankly your having a laugh.
    The enforcer needs some skill, not a lot but some. The Saron needs some skill the Halberd needs even more but the Aphelion, no skill i ve used it and if you think thats hard, try using the TR and NC for a bit, but your not going to convince one person here that its hard to use, sorry mate,but you wont.
  8. xMaxdamage

I think if you just keep firing the the aphelion vulcan-style you would deal slightly less dps than a vulcan, dunno who tested this and if he was correct, especially dunno if such test kept in account the burst fire at the end which is obviously the way to go if you don't feel like just-bursting.
    btw there are some other factors to keep in mind, for exemple the vulcan has quite a big bullet drop, and dunno which is better accuracy wise, these factors should be taken into count even when talking about cqc weapons, as flexibility is a balance factor too.
    btw if I was Vanu I'd just be ok with a weapon that rewards skill more than my opponent's one.
    • Up x 1
  9. Flag

Oh it's this chestnut again. Are you really unable to stick to comparing vehicle weapons?

Read xMaxDamage's reply. By using it the way you did it's just a worse Vulcan (does less dps).
  10. Villanuk

Well has anyone got proof of this, or is it just created by the VS myth lol
  11. Villanuk

Is their any Evidence of this because i didnt notice and not once has i seen anyone do anything other than point and click, i didnt and it was fine?
  12. Alexkruchev

I play Vanu. I used the Aephelion yesterday for about an hour or so. I had no trouble striking -way- beyond the range I can with my TR vulcan. Reason? Aphelion has no projectile drop, and can fire that charge shot every so often, which is a lancer shot, effectively.

I kill traded in a stock harasser with a Aeph against a lightning, both full HP, him with AP cannon, front to front, and he had armor and fire suppression, and I did not. That is what the VS have. Did I mention this fight was at more than 50m?

I didn't even have 100% accuracy. He did.

The Gatekeeper meanwhile, in an almost identical situation, only got a lightning (who I was hitting in the side), only knocked the lightning down to about 20% hp before I was killed.

People complain about the gatekeeper. Honestly, all the Gatekeeper really is, is a Basilisk with good accuracy. I think the Gatekeeper needs a bit lower DPS. 10-15% lower ROF.

But the Aeph is far worse: It needs projectile drop like a Vulcan, as right now, it can strike muuuch farther out.

The Mjolnir? Nahhh. Not impressed by it at all, on either end of the barrels.

But i'm very glad they added these in. I noticed TR has a fighting chance on the ground now, and people are pulling a lot more armor instead of relying solely on aircraft. IT's a nice change.
  13. Calisai

Personally, I don't think its fine. The Vulcan on the Prowler was never an issue, but on the Harassers... No amount of complaining about it stopped it from going in the game though. Its released, period, end of story. Enjoy getting near-instagibbed by AV harassers. I've had issues with AV harassers since the original f'n release of harassers..... and even more problems with them being f'n lazy trying to carbon-copy the MBT (The slowest, least maneuverable vehicle) AV weapons and giving them to the Harasser (the fastest, most maneuverable vehicle). Making minor changes to the stats doesn't do enough to offset the vastly different platform the weapon is on.

So there ya go. 1 VS's view that its not currently and never was fine...

Whatever.... i'll just adapt to the new weapons like I did with the Vulcan and suggest you do the same. Have fun dealing with what we've been dealing with since the release of Harassers.
  14. \m/SLAYER\m/

you know what Vanu says - we just better players
    • Up x 2
  15. Flag

Well you could look at the damage numbers on the guns themselves. Aphelion hits harder per shot, 200 versus the 167 of the vulcan, but it goes at half the RoF.
  16. Villanuk

So have you any evidence of the statement you made, anything that can and has been confirmed other than speculation?
  17. Villanuk

I have always said, Harassers should never have a secondary equal to its MBT. That said then people should now get used to the GK, we now have something to counter long range, another irony. VS laugh as they now have want they wanted but cry as the TR have something they NEEDED. ( present company excluded )
  18. Flag

You could, I dunno, look up the weapons in game?
  19. Villanuk

So you dont.
  20. Chal

That doesn't change what I said even if we use the FPC+Aphelion we're still out dpsed by an AP+gatekeeper/vulcan prowler and out tanked by a Vanguard (if he has shield off CD) in CQC and with the added cost of being weak at range.

The mag just has better options than the aphelion, It's great for the harasser though and it's fun having them lots of harassers from all empires zipping about.