So if the Vulcan was OP whats the Aphelion??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Villanuk, Sep 9, 2015.

1. SuperTrooperWaterloo

Since VS has their own Vulcan-toy with the Aphelion the VULCAN OP threads suuuddenly stopped. And with the introduction of the Swarm no a single VS thread about how gamebreaking the weapon is, not like when the first-Striker was new. A miracle?

Looks like there is a bunch of VS hypocrites running around who call out every well balanced weapon to be OP if its not theirs. Sadly the dev´s listen to them because they dominate the forum war, how we just found out with the Striker-Swarm.
    • Up x 2
  2. Mxiter

you forget to increase by 50% GK damage or ROF in your #balance changes
    • Up x 2
  3. Flag

Fabulous factor is hugely important tho!
    • Up x 2
  4. 0fly0

I'm going to give the same priceless advice TR give us on all the vulcan op thread, don't let the vehicule get close to you !
    • Up x 1
  5. Ragnarox

yes 1 thread. You TR put 10 every day about some nerfs/buffs.
  6. asmodraxus

That's balanced by CoF or drop, if you like we could increase the fire rate of the gate keeper but add both minimal drop and a CoF similar to that of the Saron
  7. Mxiter

When the saron outDPS the GK while keeping its COF reseting and can magdump in 2 sec with high bloom at close range.

so giving it the same velocity than GK will balance it?

your vision of "balance" is funny man! Such VS!
    • Up x 1
  8. Mongychops

Show me where "I agreed completely" with you, go on, do it.

Though if I can't even get the point across with an analogy a five year old could understand, I should have expected this kind of stupidity.
  9. Flag

The Vulcan isn't exactly OP -now-, what it is is way too easy to use given how powerful it is. Which differs from the Aphelion in that if you just hold down the button the Aphelion is a worse Vulcan. To make the VS one reach full potential takes player skill, a trait that is sorely lacking from both the Vulcan and GK, for the most part.

The point is that your premise is flawed from the start. At the moment it's not about whether or not the Vulcan is OP, but the relation of player skill requirement to weapon performance, where TR have two guns that take close to no player skill to be good.
  10. Villanuk

You missed the point as did many others. I didnt and dont think the Vulcan is OP, having used it for a long time i found it only useful for close engagements and even then i would rather run with the halberd.
    The VS moaned so much about the Vulcan concept and its output its now ironic they have the same and its fine, that was my point.
    • Up x 2
  11. Dethonlegs

My gunners tend to agree with you on this. A good halberd gunner wreks stuff at range and can one hit kill infantry as well. Sure you sacrifice DPS up close, but then again that's not the best place for a mag.

Another important aspect is the lack of audio queue with the halberd when stealth flanking. Something like this ( video ) just wouldn't be possible with Saron or Aphelion without everyone in the hex knowing your position the moment you attack (unless of course you are the one being attacked in which case you hear nothing .. god i hate that bug).
  12. Flag

The complaints about the vulcan were and are there for a reason: Vulcan is incredibly easy to use at a devastating level, whereas the Aphelion is not. Same is true for the GK compared to the Saron.

Take a mostly useless player and give them one of the TR ESAV guns and they stand a great chance to do very well. Put the same caliber of player in a vehicle with the VS ESAV guns and they flat out won't be able to use the guns at the same level as they could the TR ones.

This is the problem (and yes it is a problem) with TR ESAV. Oh and as a side note, here's your first post:

It would almost seem that you meant something else than what most people here read in said post, which is that "if vulcan is OP, why isn't the Aphelion op?" If that is wrong, by all means rephrase it so your view comes across in clear text.

It is, as I mentioned, not why people rightfully complain about the Vulcan these days.
  13. DeltaValkyrie

Am I the only one that feels that both weapons are fine now? lol
    • Up x 1
  14. MasterOhh

Hehe, the general opinion was "Either tone down the Vulcan or give a similar CQC option to the NC and VS". DGB choose the later option. NC and VS got a close range high DPM ESAV weapon and the TR got a long range ESAV weapon.
    So why should we keep complaining about the vulcan?

But now the TR, who pretended that the vulcan is not OP, is crying about the sligthly inferior Vulcan clones given to the VS and NC. You mentioned hypocrisy .....
  15. xMaxdamage

VS got a weapon that when used with no "skill" is very slightly less effective than Vulcan, and slightly more effective if used with skill. But Vulcan -like weapons are obviously more effective on a more mobile platform, and prowlers are obviously more static than maggies, so what's the problem? Even if you guys got the exact copy of a Vulcan it would be better on a magrider than on a prowler!
    • Up x 1
  16. xSalt

Everyone just needs to stop forumsiding and play the game for like a month. Actually spending time killing with, and being killed by all these weapons. Then come back and make posts about it. The only "fact" I believe to be absolutely true about these weapons is that they are to new to accurately judge or make data references for.

P.s. At some of the posts that came before me. Everyone's a ******* hypocrite. TR told NC and VS to stay at range and avoid the Vulcan, now we *****. VS told TR and NC it's not .75 ads, it's player skill, and now they ***** that the aphelion takes to much skill so it's not as good as the Vulcan. NC players have been complaining about gatekeeper range, but they can launch missiles to kill it from behind a wall, and then steer it to there target via a ******* TV dealio. We've all got toys that other people consider OP, get over it.
    P.p.s. I'm a hypocrite too.

Just take a minute, let's play the game for a while, and see if things settle out before we rush to judgements.
    • Up x 2
  17. Chal

Did anyone ever whine about the Vulcan on the Prowler? The majority of Vulcan whines were about the harasser version since it fits the playstyle perfectly. It's much better now everyone has a viable CQC option for harassers.

Our mobility has more value at range. As soon as it's a CQC fight we can't dodge and we're out dpsed by the prowler and out tanked by the Vanguard.
    If anything the "Vulcan style" gun fits less with the mag than it does on a prowler because it forces us into the area where we're weakest (even with the slighty higher damage output of the aphelion) and handicaps us at range where we're normally strong.
    For a mag to win a CQC fight it's more about gaining a positional advantage or using the terrain/mag burner to land rear shots than which secondary you have(between the halberd/saron/aphelion).

You're seeing alot of them because people are trying out the new shiney thing but I think in the long term the inexperienced/casual tankers might use the aphelion but the regular mag drivers will go back to the halberd/saron because they are far better for general mag play. Atleast that's what I'm seeing from first impressions.
  18. TheRunDown

The Aphelion is better then the Vulcan, it has the same TTK but it does the same damage in less bullets.
    The Aphelion needs less hits to kill another Harasser, while the Vulcan needs almost triple the hits to kill a Harasser with an Aphelion.

Just because the Vulcan churns out more bullets doesn't mean it's going to hurt if only 10 of them hit, verses 10 from the Aphelion which does double the damage and has exactly the same characteristics as the Vulcan, same Spin up, same CoF.. The Aphelion is basically the Vulcan one version ago, before it was changed again to stop people from whining and crying about it..

To be honest, I think it's F*&%ing ******** the Vulcan and Striker 2.0 have been cloned.. TR's only unique things are no longer unique, I can't actually see what makes TR different from VS other than the VS excelling at many, many different things than TR can't.. It wasn't even over time they were cloned, it was in a piss taking single patch.. it's laughable really and I shouldn't be so salty really, since I've come to expect this S&%$ treatment towards TR after 2 years..
  19. Villanuk

Their was complete irony about that statement and if you saw my second post i replied to someone, i was really playing up, but i don't think he got their is an under tone to this.

If the Orion and .75 ADS is. either or, or both combined OP and everyone gets that or both, then is it still OP or it is ok as everyone gets it as its now balanced. So is OP really OP ie game breaking or its is really jealousy and the faction wants what the others have.

So the thread was to demonstrate that the Vulcan was never OP, it was never a game breaker and the people who created such a stink, such anguish such commotion are now using its brother and if you mention OP or any hint of it, its balanced irony?

So in a way you can see why the VS have a very strong faction. They moaned far more than the NC, they are now moaning about the GK, they seem to moan about everything that others have, yet, they defend everything they have which we all know is good and they even defended the only PPA for gods sake. I take "they" as not ALL but certainly a vocal bunch who's only ambition is to restrict other factions to competing unless they get the same but always defend their weapons that have advantages.
  20. Diilicious

honestly im kinda just bored of all these new guns that to a greater and greater degree make my tank feel like a lump of butter