So if the Vulcan was OP whats the Aphelion??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Villanuk, Sep 9, 2015.

1. WarmasterRaptor

Then you are blind my friend.
    No later than the Gk got live that some guy here is going on with a nerf call.

Good try, but every faction got whiners.
    • Up x 5
  2. WetPatch

If insults are all that you got in defense of the Gatekeeper then it's in real trouble.

And for your information a few of us tested this version of it on PTS, and came to the conclusion it needed to be toned down. It's going to be changed and shouldn't of been released like this. They should have taken the Boom Box approach and buffed it in game after release.
  3. Stormsinger

Data taken from:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/3ihbxj/comparison_of_harasser_esav_weapons/

Prowler Rear TTK:
    Close Range ESAV
    Aphelion (no upgrades, continuous fire) - 6.72 s - no reload needed
    Aphelion (with bursts) - 6.38 s - no reload needed
    M96 Mjolnir (no upgrades) - 6.77 s - no reload needed
    Vulcan (no upgrades) - 5.36 s - no reload needed

Sunderer TTK:
    Close Range ESAV
    Aphelion (no upgrades, continuous fire) - 14.2 s
    Aphelion (no upgrades, with bursts) - 10.85 s - no reload needed
    Aphelion (max mag size , continuous fire) - 13.77 s
    Aphelion (max reload, continuous fire) - 13.74 s
    M96 Mjolnir (no upgrades) - 8.77 s - no reload needed
    Vulcan (no upgrades) - 12.57
    Vulcan (max mag size) - 12.54 s
    Vulcan (max reload) - 12.15 s

Vulcan has worse performance on the Prowler due to the platform - The Magrider has superior mobility on rough terrain, and is capable of strafing. Naturally, this allows pilots to maneuver around Prowlers for better ambush positions / firing angles. The Vulcan is still significantly better in terms of pure damage output - In a 1v1 fight, the Vulcan still wins in every close-range encounter (Give the same armor, and in terms of armor per facing, the Prowler and the Magrider are identical, although the Vanguard has slightly better armor in a few locations, although all MBT's are 30% rear armor, while the lightning has 32%)

In exchange for it's mobility, the Magrider is the slowest ground vehicle in the game, capping out at 50-54 KPH when using strafing thrusters for higher speed. (If you see a Magrider driving forward, but facing at an angle, that's what this is.)

In exchange for having the highest top speed, the prowler also has the best primary cannon, especially when compared to the magrider.
    [IMG]

Should you use the new weapon? YES, the gatekeeper is freaking amazing on whatever you can slap it on. The prowler is not only has the best primary cannon, it now has the best secondary as well!
    [IMG]

If you grow tired of your prowler, just remember that you can sit in a 1/3 Gatekeeper Harasser and blow Sunderers from 700 meters, as I did all through this last double XP weekend. Tanks are fair game too, but they tend to move more. I personally recommend clusters of raven maxes. Just sit at 650 meters, I wiped out a good dozen before they figured out where the shots were coming from, and you don't even have to account for CoF bloom, recoil or drop - there aren't any!

[IMG]
  4. Ronin Oni

^This, now everyone calm ur ****.

Aphelion is nearly identical in TTK's with "full auto" ttk slightly worse, and "perfect bursting" TTK slightly better

Also, I would never, NEVER NEVER put this on my Mag. If I want close range capability, I'll take the slightly worse Saron, so that I can maintain decent long range capability (Saron is worst of all long range AV's, though it gets to be only a lil worse than the CQB AV's at close range). And actually, I've come to the conclusion that actually the Halberd is best with a good gunner.

Aphelion is for Harassers, just like Vulcan and MJolnir.

Mounting close range AV on MBT's seems like a fools errand. You shouldn't be trying to close in that close with MBTs generally. Harassers are the right vehicle for that playstyle. (and cost 1/3rd as much, so the high risk gameplay risks a hell of a lot less)

I have used Vulcan on Prowler, but I just can't possibly recommend it over GK which is just amazing.
    • Up x 2
  5. LodeTria

The Apfailion is in a bit of a weird spot, mostly because of the Saron. If the Saron was re-tooled into a proper long range weapon ala the Gatekeeper then it might have a better role, but right now there's almost no reason to take it over the Saron. You only really use it if you want something different.
  6. Ronin Oni

Oh,m and also it's not that the Vulcan was "OP", as indeed almost all prowlers used Halberd for a reason....

it was unfair that TR had tank destroyer harassers that the other factions didn't have access to. It was ALSO unfair that the TR didn't have a good long range AV for their MBT.

That's what this release of weapons addressed and largely fixed, though minor tweaking will be in order I'm sure.
    • Up x 2
  7. Ronin Oni

Yeah, the VS has 2 "versatile" weapons instead of 2 focused weapons.

GK and Enforcer are both solid long range weapons (that don't get any more effective in close really)
    The Saron has the worst long range performance to get bursting in close.

The Vulcan and Mjolnir are both unquestionably CQB, yet the Aphelion has the best mid range performance of the bunch.

The Aphelion is really closer to where it should be, but this release of ESAV's has left the Saron in a very odd spot. It's the long range/short range hybrid when it should just be long range.

Would LOOOOVE to have OG Saron back now :p
  8. WarmasterRaptor

Dude, get you need to get checked. Seriously, I was never, not even the slightest, close to have written an insult.
    Calm down with your passive aggressive condescending attitude, you're the one being hostile here.

The only thing I ever stated here is that there are whiner in every factions. They all ditch and moan about any and all things for the slightest wrong they feel the need to ask a nerf for.

I said nothing on the weapons.

And if we'd go with your standards, PS2 Forums and Reddit will be empty tomorrow. :D That'd be nice.

So thank you, sir holier than thou, you prove your own point, if being angry at everybody is the only thing you got to go for a nerf call, the GK must be in a good place.

Have a good day nonetheless.
  9. WarmasterRaptor

Damn, be careful man, you're making too much sense!! :eek: Do you now the heresy you're doing here??
    • Up x 1
  10. Flag

Why, you have a halberd.
  11. Ronin Oni

*shrug*

t'was fun

IIRC it had higher velocity and no drop (with a .5 sec fire delay)

Sustained fire DPS on the Mag at long range just doesn't work very well.

Doesn't really matter I guess... I'll just keep using our ES Halberd :p
  12. LodeTria

Eh I don't really like the enforcer much, I much prefer the halberd for longer ranges. It's probably that terrible crosshair it has and the way the enforcer drops. It arcs a lot more than the halberd for some reason.
  13. Villanuk

Although you agreed completely with my point, which was ironic LOL. :D

Again, don't be offended if i don't reply again, mainly as you now talking about roast chicken and turkey :confused:
  14. Flag

It was still objectively worse than the current halberd in every way sans 2.

No drop, although that perk was utterly wasted by the atrocious velocity, and the fabulousness of the thing.

And no, it did not have higher velocity, it was lower. 200 m/s for the most part of post-release until the rework.
  15. Andrew Everts

Problem is it doesn't have a longer TTK in a realistic situation. No bullet drop, no spin up time, and burst damage at the end. Far superior at range too.

The aphelion is better in every situation other than Vulcan point blank constant fire....which is very, very rare.
  16. FocusLight

Ignoring ofc, the fact that on a Prowler the Vulcan is borderline useless as you have to get a long-range vehicle close to a target. Vulcan is only good for close-range defense - Magriders have no such issue, and are even more mobile.

It's still the early hype period but you know what? I, like so many others, predicted that the VS CQB-AV weapon wuold completely overshadow the Vulcan in use and effect, and this is exactly what is going on at this time. I don't expect things to change at all in the future.

You should get used to being complained at for your new toy. It's going to be standard-fare for a long while ahead.
    • Up x 1
  17. Ronin Oni

My gunner and I love the Enforcer.

Fav ESAV for MBT, even after GateKeeper honestly.... well, ok, we're kinda split on GK. I like GK a lil more, he still prefers Enforcer.

If we could actually reliably get in lots of armor fights, I think we'd both prefer GK hands down, but Enforcer is the best AV for infantry IMHO, and even in out AP/AV tank battle loadouts, we still kill more inf than anything.

2HK on infantry, 8 in the chamber, active reload.

eeehhhhhh the burst damage on it is nice, but you can't control well the timing of it. I mean, you can hold out a couple extra seconds if you need to wait for another shot, burning a few rounds in the process, but that's about it.

Also missing that burst damage shot is damning for DPS, because now you have to spin up again, and didn't get the burst of damage that (only slightly) more than makes up for it. The main (only?) reason the burst damage eeks out an advantage TTK is actual due to reloads and damage per magazine... so burning rounds to wait for a burst dmg shot is still harmful, where if you just missed 6 rounds then got back on target at max RoF, it might actually be better.

Aphelion is cool, but to say it's objectively better seems dishonest. It has some advantages but also disadvantages.
  18. Ronin Oni

no ****?

Well it was just the fabulous factor then.

It was goddamn fabulous, and I miss it.

Hell, just skin the Halberd with OG Saron skin, drop and everything. literally identical stats, but with OG Saron look and effects and I'd be in looooove (and people would cry OP... just watch)
  19. asmodraxus

If the TR's Gatekeeper isn't OP then how about this, increase the projectile speed for the Saron and Enforcer to match it, and the halberd to be about 450m/s, then give the Saron slightly less bloom and the Enforcer less drop.

There, balanced.
  20. xSalt

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. And I'm not crying nerf. Just correcting your wrong data/opinion. It has been tested and the aphelion is slightly better than the Vulcan. It has a longer effective range, and with the charge up mechanic it has greater potential dps and damage per magazine then the Vulcan with proper trigger control and accuracy.

It is possible to execute the charge shot every sixth shot. It is also possible to keep the fire rate of the gun at almost maximum the entire time if you learn the breakpoint of the wind up/charge shot on the trigger.

Again, I'm not crying nerf. But it is better then the Vulcan when the charge shot is properly utilized. Without any charge shot shot used at all, it is only slightly worse then the Vulcan.