So I tried out the Skyguard

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Xiphos, Jan 1, 2013.

1. MrK

Are you kidding? ESF must not die, it's not a puny pityfull orc!
  2. hardrain1911

on solgate a couple days ago, i was running SG with 2 others in my squad(3 SG on coms) + 2 pub SG in the area helping, we could not take down the libs and ESF that where rocket-spaming the infantry in the tower. so the theroy that 1 lib = 3 max is crap. 3 lightnings (bigger than a max) couldent takeout 1 lib even when fucusing fire. let alone a rocket ESF. Cone of fire tightened and projectile speed increased buff needed IMO.

"never trust anyone ith a flying vehicle in their signiture or avatar in their opinion. Its likely to be biased"
    +1
  3. Regpuppy

All well and good, but a lib with a dalton only has to let you stand still for two or three shots max, assuming they're a bad shot. Not hard to hit a lightning unless they continually haul ***.
  4. Steppa

First thing I did was take an NC to BR21 in the first couple weeks before switching and I first used the skyguard as a part of that faction. As far as the "pilot" thing goes, you could count the number of certs I have in aircraft on one post-M80-'splosion hand.

My point was that I accidentally found a way to make the platform effective...working with others of the same vehicle/weapon setup.
  5. Xiphos

I tried the Skyguard out again on the Crown.

I did manage to get a kill and two assists in 10 minutes (there were several other AA units nearby helping me). The Skyguard was only useful against very close aircraft (<60m or so), hovering Liberators or ESFs coming in a straight line at me. The problem is the bullet speed and spread are just really bad. As a result, the applied damage is also extremely bad except in the aforementioned conditions. Many times I was unable to hit aircraft even once as they passed by simply due to the bad bullet speed.

I tried leading at varies amounts but no success. With the MAX burster it's very easy to see how much one has to lead, but with the Skyguard I was unable to get a feel for it. MAX bursters not only have higher effective range and are easier to hit with, they also deal more applied damage in most circumstance. A single burster MAX is without a doubt the more effective AA deterrent nuisance at the moment and everyone can mount a burster by default. I would not recommend getting the Skyguard.
  6. {joer

We had a lightening group going yesterday and it was hilarious. We had our mosquitoes lead the scythe swarm into our kill zone, and it looked like a WWII film. I do think the SG needs a slight buff though in bullet speed.
    • Up x 1
  7. Steppa

You might not get recoil in the chassis, but the weapon itself is still going to have recoil no matter what. Is there a backstory spec sheet that lists each vehicle's weight?
  8. Fox234

I bought it when it was on sale and I have to agree its worthless. Thank god I only paid 350 SC for it. Makes no sense why a 1 man ESF gets rockets that are effective against anything in the game and a machine gun but the Lightening gets a turret that is ineffective against everything. Even if it didn't suck against air its still not balanced when ESF can farm infantry, vehicles, other aircraft, and turrets yet the lightening can only effectively attack 1.
    • Up x 5
  9. Xiphos

Thanks for increasing the amount of common sense in this thread.
  10. {joer

In other words thank you with agreeing with my complaint. Skyguards are to protect mobile groups of tanks and sunderers. They do an adequate if not fantastic job of that. They are only good in organized groups though. We were HORRIBLY outnumbered in the air by the VS yesterday and our 4 skyguards made their entire airforce a non factor. It wasn't until the mags showed up that we started to have air issues, because we lost our skyguards.
  11. JohnnyMaverik

I always shoot at ESF's with my primary and I've gotten 2 kills in around 100 hours playing if you include BETA. All the other guns you speak of can also shoot tanks quite effectively, the Basilisk is also a multi-purpose secondary on the tank, it is there to shoot everything and more effective against air than the actual AA secondary (which is terrible against both tanks and infantry), some Walker variation (do any of those actually work?).

Also an ESF can run away from anything in this game, other than another ESF, nothing can run from an ESF unless they are lucky to be standing right next to cover, and if they have pods you are 100% dead.
  12. rGlory

Wow what a great point! To show how much I agree I would suggest to change this game so: "ESFs are to protect mobile groups of tanks and sunderers. They do an adequate if not fantastic job of that. They are only good in organized groups though."
    Oh wait that would make Higby's fanboys not happy, they need farm machine, not teamplay. Silly me.
    • Up x 2
  13. 13lackCats

Pure inf here.

Sorry.

Combined Arms. It giveth, it taketh away.
  14. Gavyne

In other words, the ground gets to protect & deter, and get little to no kills & exp out of it. Also ground gets told we need to work together in massive numbers, combined arms!@#$ While air gets to farm, laugh, kill, explode, laugh, demolish, go on 50 kills to 0 streaks, get to BR100 first then brag about getting 7,000 kills in less than a week and state that liberators are "relaxing".

All in the meantime pilots are on the forums saying everything's fine, learn to play, buy up all anti air weapons because they are only ruling the world because we aren't using enough anti air... /waves hand jedi mind trick complete
    • Up x 3
  15. Asimplicity

Yeah this is where we get the pilots and gunners coming here saying, "I've never been in an aircraft in my life, I swear by it!! Anti-Air is just fine. Air isn't overpowered. And remember this is coming from somebody who has never been in an aircraft. I promise! No really! I'll even pinky swear!"
  16. Matti

An ESF can not fire on it's target while "running away" like all other vehicles and an ESF can't resive repair while in combat. If only tankers and MAXes understood how we, the engineers, have so little HP pool compared to what we repair, then maby you guys could get closer to cover and not be in the middle of the open in every darn fight. Use the buildings, stay next to doorway and stariwells so we can at least get a chance to take cover after repairing.
    • Up x 1
  17. Asimplicity

-Well said, and so true...
  18. ImGladUmad

Skyguard sucks.

Does minimal damage, doesn't have the best accuracy.....I honestly think that a MAX might be better.

Biggest waste of money in the game.

The thing can't kill or deter anything .
  19. TheBaronofSD

no, it wouldn't. the recoil would be eaten by the suspension.

i am basing my weight estimation off british cruiser mk3 tanks which were functionally similar in role to the game's lightning tank. fast, light armor, etc. the lightest of these cruisers was 14 long tons. i presume in this future setting that metallurgical advancements in alloys has produced a strong yet light weight armor allowing the lightning to be around 10 tons. combined with a very powerful engine gives us a very nimble light tank.
  20. {joer

Why should a skyguard be an esf in its role? This sort of complaint is just whining.

But if your skyguard is getting killed by a single esf you are horrible.