So, how is the Nyx?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Mrasap, May 4, 2013.

1. Ravenorth

Knowing how many bullets your opponent can take gives you a better opportunity to coordinate your attacks and take more risks. Against several opponents its a life saving knoweledge.
  2. Celliosh

With the different ways to cert out a character there's no way to know for sure what it takes. I still say shoot to dead.
  3. Rasui

I have the Auraxium medal on my Nyx, but I hardly ever use it anymore. HA's with nanoweave are pure frustration, especially with the lower RoF after last patch. It usually goes something like this.

Plink-Plink-Plink
    *heavy reacts because he's still alive and turns on his shield*
    Plink
    *Heavy turns and sprays full auto*
    Plink
    *I die first after shooting him 5 times*

I will say that it's still an excellent weapon for night-ops or flanking due to its whisper quiet nature though.
  4. Dramma Lamma

Hey OP, since the infiltrator update has been delayed 2 more months I'm gonna go ahead and recommend the nyx at this point.

The ~ GU 07 "buff" hurt it and I never gave it much use after that.

Having used it more lately I think the GU 08 attachments changes may have helped it.

Currently using it with 2X reflex silencer and lazer sight.
  5. Dramma Lamma

Oh dang it even got a 250 cert cost reduction in GU 09 today also.
  6. pnkdth

Artemis is just plain superior in every way. It may sound weird to compare a full auto rifle to a semi auto rifle but...

The suppressor. Makes both weapons very quiet but it does also reduce the bullet velocity which in turns cripples the Nyx where it might have been superior to the Artemis, namely, the long end of mid range combat. I was going to have a go at the auraxium medal with my Nyx but I decided against it due to how frustrating the weapon is compared to the Spectre and Phantom. The final nail in the coffin, as illustrated above by Rasui, is the low damage. Why this weapon didn't get a 20 round magazine capacity baffles me.

My weapons of choice are the Artemis, Spectre, and Parallax. That's right, no SMGs. The herpderp bunnyhop ADADADAD style of infiltration is not my thing. That, and I just love the way the Artemis feels.
    • Up x 1
  7. KorJax

Nyx is my best weapon. It's easily one of the best guns the infiltrator can use, especially after the buff... in the right hands.

It's exactly like the semi-auto sniper rifle you start with, except with higher ammo, a hipfire that actually works (you need laser sight), the ability to do low-powered sights, no bullet trail on shots, less recoil (need compensator, with the laser sight there is NO hipfire reduction), it's a very quiet sounding gun so it doesn't draw massive attention, etc. The downside is that the bullet velocity isn't as high as the semi-auto sniper, and the damage drop-off range is worse. But that's why you don't use the Nyx for sniping (it's about as effective per-bullet as your average LMG at long range). But with a 6X scope, its absolutely amazing in medium/short range for accurate, two-shot kills (if you hit head), and pretty decent at close range panic shooting thanks to a decent hipfire. The biggest downside the nyx suffers from though is that everyone and their mother uses Nanoweave which the nyx suffers from badly. It does slightly less damage than the semi-auto sniper but enough to still kill on two headshots. The problem is with nanoweave or any other factor to mitigate full damage it'll bump that up to three headshots required.

If you hate using the semi-auto sniper you start with you'll hate the nyx though. I personally find semi-autos much better than bolt-actions in most situations (in the situations that bolt actions are good for though, they really dominate).

Granted the Nyx was a lot more amazing when it didn't have to compete with the underboss and SMG for close range sexyness. But its still great, and it's my default weapon of choice when I roll infil.
  8. The King

It's just too slow in velocity.
    Especially if you're using a suppressor.

If you fire at them and then they realize instantly (which is what most decent players do)
    then that 2nd hit isn't hitting them. They would have to be 100% still, then you may be a 2nd hit on em.
    But once they notice you're firing at them, it's useless.
    they can strafe left and right and you're not going to kill them.

Artemis is superior by far.
    And I do not think it's that great either with only 24 ammo clips..

I'd avoid it, unless you have a bunch of certs to waste.
    It doesn't seem too bad without the suppressor, however, it isn't that great.
  9. KorJax

The nyx is awful with the supressor

With compensator, laser sight and no supressor it's amazing. Stick a 6X sight on it to get those accurate shots you need to be good with it.

Well, SMG's are still better in close quarters but you'll be hard pressed to find a better medium range weapon for the infiltrator, that can also work in closer ranges.
  10. Linheru

Protip: Screw suppressor, get flash suppressor instead. Single shot rifles do not care about that upward recoil, you're gonna want to let it reset anyways when firing at range.
    I really want HV ammo on it as well, would make it much easier to land shots, and again, the increased recoil doesn't really matter.
    It's decent enough for cqc, but really, that's what the Underboss is for.
    Likely gonna run out of ammo on that one and have to switch back to nyx in a fight though, and that is why I wouldn't use compensator since it increases equip time.

edit: If you're gonna equip a 6x scope, you're better off with a semiauto sniper rifle instead, since gu8 added scope sway to all 6x scopes. Personally I prefer the 4x scope for long range accuracy and no sway whatsoever, while still not having too powerful zoom for midrange engagements.
  11. KorJax

Holy crap didn't realize they added HV ammo to nyx. Gonna have to get that ASAP... and yet I was saving up for more ZOE and more C4... oh well.

Didn't know compensator increased equip time, doesn't seem to make much sense and doesn't say that anywhere? Is that a recent change because it didn't use to do that. The compensator does help a lot though (the nyx does have substantial vertical recoil per shot, and I've noticed a positive difference when using it). I never found flash suppressor useful in a game where every shot you shoot is lit up like a star in the night sky, so I don't see the point.

As for the 6X scope, I use that because it's way better than the others IMO. I have a 3.4x and a 4X scope but I hate using them, they just aren't that accurate for me. I end up engaging a lot of enemies in medium/short range, and the 6X scope is perfect for being accurate at those ranges. It was better when it didn't have sway yes, but the sway is still so small at those ranges that it doesn't matter. It also has a key advantage of not disappearing when you cloak, which always throws me off when I ADS with the other sights.

I don't use it for long range which is why I don't use semi-auto sniper (but I like that I can plink away if need be), and the semi-auto snipers are awful in closer range engagements. That's why I like the nyx, it's pretty much identical to the semi-auto snipers up to medium range but is much more versatile and also useful if you get caught close range. It fits my more "active and moving" playstyle much better. I still use SMG but I prefer scout rifle for most engagements since I like to avoid getting in too close.

Also while the underboss is good, the nyx still kills quicker if you can land all the shots. Still, underboss is easier to use and it's worth shooting a shot off on your nyx then switching to finish off, versus just trying to only go around with an underboss.
  12. Linheru

Sorry, no HVA for Nyx :(
    I meant that I want it to be available, not that it is.
    (it would greatly improve the weapon, hint hint SOE)

Flash suppressor removes our minimap dot when firing, just like suppressor does, only without the sound muffling and speed decrease. It also removes muzzle flash(as per the name) which makes you a bit harder to spot when firing.

As for compensator increasing equip speed, I completely screwed up on that one. I was thinking of forward grip >.<
    What it does is reduce hipfire accuracy, and I like to be able to cqc when it's forced on me.
    I use laser sight, but still don't feel it's accurate enough for proper hipfire use =/
  13. KorJax

The nice thing with the compensator though is that if you use laser sight with it, it has no downside. Unless they fixed this, but I don't think they did.

I.E. you get a hipfire penalty with compensator... but if you also have laser sight, you get no hipfire increase - you get the full effect of less hipfire as well as the full effect of less recoil from nyx
  14. Linheru

Are you saying that compensator doesn't cancel out laser sight? Sure looks like it from where I'm standing. I -want- the laser's bonus lol. Especially since recoil matters so little on the Nyx.
  15. KorJax

It doesn't for me. At least last I checked. They could have fixed it.

Either way, a compensator won't give you a massive hipfire reduction with laser sight if they fixed it. It won't be as good, but it won't be as bad if you didn't have laser sight at all.
  16. Linheru

I suppose, all I'm saying is that hipfire is barely viable with laser, adding compensator on there just wont work for me.