So eh, where's this update then?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by sosolidshoe, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Bravesteel

There are a bunch of us, we obviously just don't complain about every little thing so we aren't noticed.
    • Up x 1
  2. Phyr

Most people wont know there's an update until it happens, so personally I think you're better off with option 2.
  3. Kalmageddon

It's ok, take as much time as you need.
    I'm willing to wait if that means this update won't introduce a new batch of bugs that will screw the gameplay over.
    • Up x 1
  4. SuperLexatron

Still nothing on the issue that affects a great deal of players, preventing them from playing any decent length of time? It's been nearly 3 weeks...

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ther-problems-flying-everywhere.87669/page-38
  5. Hannabelle

GU02 was delayed so they could fix some stuff they know was broken. When it was released, stuff was broken. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that whatever was broken on release wasn't the stuff that they delayed the release to fix.

I want you to imagine, just for a moment, how much worse things might have been had they just released on time. There were some fairly big issues with GU02's release. Try and just think how bad the stuff they fixed had to be, if in fixing it they still managed to miss the issues that actually made it to release.

My best guess is that the stuff that broke on the release of GU02 wasn't even broken until a couple thousand people started hammering in when it went live. Sometimes, it's just a question of scale.

There's also the man-hours issue. 8 people working on something for 8 hours results in 64 man hours invested in your project. 6000 people playing your game for 5 minutes is 500 man hours of time spent playing. It should be perfectly obvious why players are so much better and finding bugs than developers are. We're not any better at it than they are, there are just far more of us.

Between the issues of scaling and population, they're never going to have a bug-free release. Of anything. At anytime. They can just do their best, watch us smash their work into little tiny pieces, and then try to fix it as soon as possible. So far, I think they've done an admirable job.

So thanks guys. I, and probably many others, appreciate it.
    • Up x 2
  6. TheArchetype

That's just what they said last time. ;)
  7. StrikerKOJ

Just busting your balls, as it were, but why are these the only two options? Where is option 3, where you COMPLETE a product, and THEN tell us that it is ready for consumption? Was the timing so critical for this particular update that you HAD to schedule a downtime before you were ready?

This sentiment is not limited to this particular update, but updates in general. Obviously things happen, things break, unexpected results, nobody's perfect, and all of that. But, as others have mentioned, nobody was expecting an update until such time as you announced an update. Why would you (general you) put yourself in a position to fail to meet expectation, when you are in total control of setting that particular expectation?

• Is it arrogance; you believe so highly in your team's ability to produce a completed product that you schedule an update ahead of time?
    • Is it pressure from outside; somebody who makes more money than your team is directing you to schedule an update at that exact time?
    • Is it just an unfortunate mistake; the team legitimately thought it was ready but at the very last second somebody had an epiphany?
    If it is case number three, WHY does that happen so much?

You said "this isn't about... having enough time to double check." Is that not EXACTLY what happened? You set an arbitrary deadline, and ran out of time to complete your work. Or are you playing semantics, and you really had exactly enough time to "double check", but ZERO time to actually make adjustments encase you actually found something wrong during the "double check"?

It just doesn't make sense to me. You (general you) hold all of the cards. How is it that you make yourself look, foolish, for lack of a better word, so often?
  8. Pemtaphalon

And this is why I stopped reading the forums, a bunch of whiny little kids (or those with the mentality of children) screaming at SOE because they want their empire to be the best, or they don't want to die easily, or they hate all the bugs, but then a patch is announced they whine that it isn't addressing 100% of the problems right away, then it gets delayed because it isn't ready/ there are problems, so they whine, but if they did release it and the bigs wrecked the game, they'd whine, whine whine whine whine...

Am I the only one who plays this game and is astounded that it is free to play? I bought weapons and camo because I felt that the game was worth the money and the devs deserved it, they do a bloody good job and whilst the game and the teams is by no means perfect, the game is still one of the most addictive games I've played in a long while, so please, you may not want to show respect, but could you at least be a little civil and not act like petulant children

oh, and RadarX I have said this before but thank's for doing an amazing job to you and the team
    • Up x 3
  9. Azzer

I don't understand why people aren't allowed to complain when things don't run smoothly.

Delays? Bugs? They can cause unhappiness. Sure people might most disproportionate responses in relation to their unhappiness of something they WANT to be perfect not being perfect, but they are certainly allowed to complain.

But it seems everywhere you go, there are a huge wealth of people who are also fellow players (not stooges, not employees, not doing it to gain anything, just fellow players like the complainers) who wish to defend a corporation. Defend faceless entities. Defend celebrities, products, brands... to the degree of trying to shoot down anyone that dares even HINT that they might be anything other than completely happy to accept anything given in any manner given.

Why? Is it the idea that these companies are little defenceless kittens who do things purely for the adoration of us humans?

People are allowed to be unhappy when things aren't perfect (perfect would be a bug-free release on-time), especially when a track record has demonstrated many, many, many imperfections already. Let people be unhappy, let people voice concerns or unhappiness. If people take their unhappiness too extreme (eg start posting outright flames, insults, threats, etc.), then let forum moderators deal with them like they would anything that is out of bounds.

But for pete's sake stop defending everything a company does no matter what they do and trying to act like human shields between unhappy consumers and large corporate entities, this isn't China, the State won't "get you" if you don't.
    • Up x 3
  10. Cerus

Just do this:

You cover your ***, and the people who have no idea how software development works don't get any leverage.
    • Up x 1
  11. Pemtaphalon

I'm not defending them as such, they can do that themselves, and I'm happy for people to be unhappy, it's just reading through the endless screw you SOE, you didn't make the game as I wanted it, I want my money back blah blah blah, it gets boring and whiny, if you have a constructive complaint, please share, but don't just come on raging, it just comes across as childish

Surely we can agree on that
    • Up x 3
  12. Syphers

Where's the account wide unlock
  13. Mogi67

There's no content in the patch notes....it's all bug fixes and GUI adjustments. what the **** sony?
  14. Cl1mh4224rd

[George-Takei-voice] Ohhh myyy... [/George-Takei-voice]
  15. MasterCheef

a part if me wishes that the game breaks and is unplayable for all those whiners...then i want to witness their tears as they cry about not being able to play this "horrible game" made by "money grubbing Devs".
  16. Duke

I'm one of those "whiners" and considering the fact I don't play? I wouldn't shed a tear :)
  17. SuperLexatron

As someone who waited patiently for 2 weeks, not being able to play the game due to a significant bug brought on by GU2, having seen 3 of my friends outright quit and 5 others go on breaks until the issue is resolved (which it still isn't) I do NOT hope for this to be the case, and you shouldn't either.

I have been as complacent as can be, I have had nothing but respect and admiration for the game and its devs - but when a game breaking bug brought on by a patch is still not fixed nearly 3 weeks after it is released - and has been complained about by a huge amount of players who have desperately been working on 'workarounds' ( http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ther-problems-flying-everywhere.87669/page-38 ) and yet they continue to push out more stuff to buy and change/add new features without fixing the first ones - it has even left me, someone you might even call a 'fanboy' with a very bitter taste in my mouth.
  18. Izriul

Yeah, wait until it's deployed until you say that.

Because having a delay and THEN having issues is well, an issue.

Yes, I know, I have little faith. Very little.
  19. raw

Also, let us not forget the classic "Make the notes less funny."
  20. MasterCheef

No i dont hope for it to happen. Even people who complain, most likely only do so on the forums.