so and what about the mechs/walkers?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nakron, Mar 25, 2020.

1. TR5L4Y3R

before mechs get added they should ballance eleme ... i mean maxxes ....
  2. Glenndal

Look at it from a design space perspective. The game functions on mostly three(ish) levels. Infantry, Ground armor, and Air power. The -ish comes from construction also being a thing. These mechs would be dropped into the ground armor category and basically function as tank/sunderer alternatives. What would they offer over existing armor? Normally walker-type vehicles would be useful for traversing medium difficult terrain, but most vehicles in this game are capable of moving through all but the most rough, clifflike terrain. It certainly wouldn't make sense for walkers to be able to move on THAT. In order for this difference to be noticable, we'd need to see a lot of medium-rough terrain added that these could move on and other vehicles couldn't.

They do have another interesting angle in that they are significantly above ground level. This lets them attack from a different vantage than a typical tank would. The tradeoff is that they are super easy to spot as a result. This mostly, I would imagine, would make them better at close range peeking over walls and hitting people/vehicles behind cover.

Mobility wise, it in no way makes sense for these to be faster than tanks, leg-based mobility doesn't really work that way at scale. These things would have to be slow. Given their larger profile relative to the terrain, they should probably be fairly well armored as well. That gives us a lot of guidelines as to where they can fit in the game. The slow, heavily armored nature of the space they fit in makes them a decent candidate for an expensive, slow-moving semi-defensive unit, similar to the max, but for vehicles. Basically a super-heavy tank. Doing anything else would probably be very redundant or massively destablizing to gameplay.

These are a cool part of sci-fi, and I wouldn't mind seeing them in-game.

Do we NEED something like that? Is it worth the development time? Eeeeh, that I'm less sold on at the moment. I'd much prefer to see existing tools like construction and outfit abilities worked into the combat flow better.

Also, super-walkers look pretty cool. There might be room for a ground-based bastion in the game once we get a good solid handle on how the current one should fit into overall gameplay. I think the Bastion is definitely net positive the game right now, but we need to have a better idea of how to view the PS2 macro game before we can expect devs to start adding stuff like this.
    • Up x 1
  3. Vevvev

I know a lot of vets remember the battle frame robotics of the first game and are very against any sort of mechs in this game ((MAXes aside)). Still though, the mechs in the first game were cool but their balancing was a bit off and led to them being the way to dominate the battlefield. If they were added in Planetside 2 they'd need to balanced and find a role in the game so they don't overshadow the lightning and main battle tanks currently in the game.
  4. leonidas13090

Is it the "I don't like sand" reference sir?
    • Up x 1
  5. Nakron

thats it it would work like that would work more like a max unit for vehicles to support then in their time of need to deffend or attack inside a heat of battle i think people got too much paranoic after the experience of ps1 and i unfortunately never had a chance to play ps1 but i saw a lot of gameplays specific with the mechs i think people got paranoid after the experience from ps1 i know that is no easy task to achieve this but its for the sake of variety too and to add something ''fresh'' to the game sure we got bastion but look they need to fix it its a sci-fi game it would be nice to have mechs/walkers around if people work together we sure can balance the mechs all we need to do is use the brain thats it nothing is impossible we can achieve that i am sure i know this might not be inside the devs agenda now but hey i am just refreshing the ideia of the mechs look at bf2142 it was very well done if EA could do back in the day why ps2 dont? about the medium mechs it was just a suggestion it could have only the heavy walkers,assault and light i think would not be a good ideia to knock down mechs by attacking their legs like happens in mecharrior if you shoot to much in their legs i think people would spam that would be like zombies the difference would be the legs instead of the head we need to put in a way that people would not spam these mechanics or be too much op inside a mech the magrider works very different from a mech since the mech could turn the torso the magrider would be a hard time killing them considering the assault mech would have more armor than the heavy tanks would be maybe at least a solution to fight against a magrider more balanced so at least we tr and nc could have a chance against the zergfest since the magrider can glide around the nc and tr tanks thats a big advantage so i think the mechs could beat the magrider in that case i said we should not put jet-pack in a light mech but maybe if we got limited fuel but i still think even without jetpack could be effective against vehicles but hey we need more than one role for the walkers/mechs yeah they can work like supporters for vehicles but they should work to take and defend bases too we need to put decent armor on them i think the light mech could be easy prey if not used properly they still can beat vehicles but would have hard time trying to destroy more than one like i said light mechs could be used with a squad to be more effective against the enemy but i still dont know if the light should or not have anti-air weapons or if would be very limited on amo or in distance light troopers even with jetpack and could fly i think they should not destroy any type of mech/walker easy that mini-rocketlauncher should do a little damage only to light mechs because of weak armor reasons the others you should really try to get a way or call up your team of heavies or max to help you i think in that situation you would have a tense feeling i know you would be in a bad position but at least in some point in this game you would think on something and have a bit of immersion instead of only rush with your hearth in hands sure you still can fly away with you jetpack if has enough fuel or if you are in hossin for example in all those trees up in a high terrain the mech can not reach you so you just need to go away stealth mode or wait for him to go away behind some cover and i sure he will quickly the person have an objective to complete a continent to conquer so you would not sit all day there waiting i got myself in this kinda of situation before already with heavy tanks with my medic where i was alone and a heavy tank just passed by near my position and was in a open area then i had to make a decision run to cover and wait him for go away or call for help since the people was a bit far away i decided to take cover behind the trees i got a bit nervous then after a few minutes in cover he got away just this sensation of being ''trapped'' you start to think a lot what to do in that situation and i think this feeling is very nice to immerse you more inside the game and about the heavy walker i dont know if weak spots like in the bastion would be nice no ideia how this would work hmmm if you only focus in this specific points would be hard to hit depending on your location and if the mechs gets damage all over means more people can hit you that means needs a ton of hp to compensate this and another thing as i said we would have anti-mechs weapons for troopers the ones that does more damage would be for the heavies and the rest would do less damage because think if a light trooper that can fly had a weapon with the same damage as the heavy? for example the C4 the mech would be useless because light assault would spam C4 or use these more powerfull weapons that only heavies should use then when the enemy empire spot a mech then would be a army of light assault chasing the mech down that would be very annoying and dull the mech would go down quickly i am talking this kind of scenario for any type of mech even the heavy walker so we need to consider these small details too these situations can break the gameplay and make you waste your resources in vain.
  6. Nakron

thats why they have the ability to put the game on low or medium settings to ''solve'' this issue sure if the person are not a fanatical graphics person and only wants to have fun and nothing else then theres no problem but i dont think these mechs would impact that much of course if the devs can work properly on them.
  7. Nakron

what? overpowered? where did you got this ideia? i dont want that i want them to be as much balanced as possible i dont want them to be op.i dont hate ps2 i just think needs more variety in vehicles and its obvious and also needs lots of fixes i want ps2 not to die i want ps2 to be better simple as that.
  8. Nakron

thats a great ideia some equipment you choose will benefit something and loose another like you said if you choose to put a jetpack for more mobility you would loose more armor to compesate the mobility in the air that kinda of ideia can really work we need to add equipment for the mechs too so we can see more types of design of mechs inside the battle field for the sake of variety for example if you put a build more ''anti-tank'' type you would be more slow if you put a build ''anti-air''you could win a bit more mobility also the mechs could have more than one pilot inside and have 2 seats for weapons like in the heavy tanks well the heavy walker could have a lot more gunner seats of course no idea how much exactly.
  9. SikVvVidiT

**** NO!!!!!
  10. Nakron

cheers i really like your thoughts in the mechs/walkers i really like this ideia hell the devs could even add new weapons to the game thats are only for the mechs sure will be nice to have different build roles for the mechs.
  11. Nakron

the medium mech was a suggestion only not saying its a must have type of mech i understand your point well the medium mechs could have new weapons for them to work with their roles when i talked about this mech it was about to be a 50/50 mech that can work a bit with air and a bit with in the field and at the same time not being freaking op thats sure sound a bit hard to balance but not impossible and also to have a bit more variety never hurts,the light would be one pilot only would be more like a ''scout-mech'' medium and assault would be 2 people one firing the main weapons in the torso and other in the gunner seat like already works with the heavy tanks and the heavy walkers i still dont know how many gunner seats should have one of the roles of the mechs is to work as a ''MAX'' for vehicles to support/defend them in difficult situations and to have a chance to change the tide of the battle in your favor more or less the ideia of the bastion a entire platoon of light mechs could hurt vehicles and suppress enemy lines if used with tactic of course thats what i am talking about they will not work only as a shield for vehicles they will work as a offense vehicle too.
  12. DemonicTreerat

"The H-MAX would be vulnerable to small-arms like a Harasser but be very weak to AV damage from infantry weapons, giving infantry a chance to defeat a nosegun-wielding H-MAX and also giving the H-MAX a better defined role when it comes to engaging or not engaging tanks."

So what would it fight then? Its weaker against infantry AV weapons than any other vehicle or even an existing MAX and probably costs as much as, or more than, a regular MAX to pull. Which leaves only vehicles. While using weapons less effective than existing MAX weapons & lacking both speed & maneuverability.

13. Demigan

It would fight infantry and aircraft for the most part.

You might not realize, but I am against designing something that is very hard to destroy by the very thing it engages. So these H-MAX's would have weapons that are powerful against infantry, but are at risk from that same infantry.

Now I wouldnt mind giving such an H-MAX access to AV weapons, but again the H-MAX would not be designed as anti-tank platform and would be at a disadvantage.
  14. nadir

Whelp, of so, there goes any chance of me checking it out then.
  15. DemonicTreerat

You still aren't addressing the issue.

It doesn't matter how weak or strong the frame itself is if under normal (not "once in a blue moon everything going as planned" engineer thinking) conditions its gun can wipe out any infantryman or group of infantry before they have a chance. In just the same way that any ESF with the same nose gun does. If it only has access to the "normal" nose guns then its going to be a complete waste of resources. Again, under actual conditions, it won't be able to kill anything before its target can waltz away or kill it first due to the ttk it takes under actual conditions (again not "everything hits including multiple head shots" ********). And against air its just an outright failure because your design has no ability to keep in effective range against any aircraft long enough for the gun to actually kill. So what you have is something that is at best a "deterrent" like flak but less effective against everything. Hell a regular MAX would probably be more effective at that point.

What you are suggesting has all the issues of a skyguard or NC MAX. Under a narrow set of ideal conditions its utterly destructive but outside of those completely useless. And the last thing this game needs is more "niche" items that get "balanced" right out of their niche due to their being good at it.
  16. Demigan

I have adressed the issue you are just making an issue where there is none. You are also switching from issues. Before you said they couldn't attack their "intended target" which you made tanks, which they weren't designed for in this iteration. Now suddenly their AI and AA power isn't enough?

For example you say the weapon is too weak against infantry except in once-in-a-blue-moon situations. Yet the default Nosegun of the Mozzie compared to the Gauss SAW is more accurate, has more DPS, has damage falloff much later, has less damage falloff overall and while it's starting accuracy is worse at 0.3 it only takes 2 shots for a moving ADS SAW user to have worse accuracy. I would say the weapon has too much power rather than be a niched once-in-a-blue-moon weapon. And they can equip even better with the CQC-oriented Rotaries.

You also think that the weapons would automatically be worse off than Deterrents. The difference is that the Nosegun variants would be able to actually kill ESF in a quick burst if they get the chance, which deterrents don't get.

But the thing is: We are designing a new type of vehicle. The Nosegun idea is to give you a ballpark idea of it's capabilities... And those capabilities can be changed. For example you could increase the damage per shot, but make the weapon work like a burst weapon instead. You get one burst of big damage then a small downtime. This gives it better ability to kill something quickly but also puts a higher premium on accuracy instead of spray&pray which also reduces the change that it can instantly wipe out entire squads. The Mech could also have tools and gadgets to help it against air-targets. Such as the ability to fire a vehicular Concussion round to reduce the aircraft's (and potentially vehicle's) ability to flee or fight back for a short period of time... Assuming you hit. To avoid misunderstandings: This wouldn't have as massive an effect like the infantry-based concussion grenade.

What I'm suggesting is completely different from Skyguards and MAX's. That's why I'm suggesting it.
  17. NeonSonic

If devs can balance em this time, sure. In PlanetSide 1 when they were first released it was horrible imbalance and everyone was using them. If devs actually do em right with care and give them an actual role and not a game breaker then sure.

Good concept art btw I know what u mean but DEVS actually have to get it RIGHT this time if they do it and take their sweet time to make sure its balanced before it hits live instead of rushing it in like in PlanetSide 1 and destroying everything.
  18. BlazingTiger

19. BlazingTiger

Or you can do it like Battlefield 2142. The mech "ahem" WALKERs are not overpower at all. They are another form of tanks...just with legs. Infantries can overcome them. They are fun to use and not very big like the ones in Planetside 1.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

If BF 2142 can have Walkers in the game and not throw the whole game off balance....***** PS 2 can have Walkers and still be fun to use or take down.