So about the faction colour settings for minimap/hud. [some bugs, feedback on design]

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Ripshaft, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Ripshaft

First off, cool idea, I really like being able to tell the factions apart on the map and minimap and on my hud.

But several obvious bugs / things that were not thought out properly in design and implementation:

Many colours in the palette have a default or otherwise adjusted brightness level, this means that regardless of how deep a colour you choose, you will get an overall bright colour on many aspects of the display.

This results in many colours looking far too much alike, notably blue and purple. Dark blue and light purple look nothing alike, but due to the way the colours are presented, you get a very light blue and light purple, which look very much alike. This is especially problematic as this is the default for the faction specific colours.

This causes other problems with brighter colours, I set nc to yellow, and because the outlines on many icons defaults a high brightness, it makes many icons appear to be much larger and "glowing" with colour. This obviously impacts readability in many areas.

I can definitely understand the reasoning behind the overall brightness, as you need to have visibility in many key areas, however in its current state it also causes some rather serious problems and limitations.

Secondly I feel that the universal colour schema is not ideal. I think there should be seperate schemas, at the very least one for point ownership and control, and another for the iff symbols used via the hud and minimap. If you're wondering wtf im talking about, think of how it was prepatch, you had enemy (red) and ally (bluish) indicators on the hud, but faction specific colours for control of points and structures. Currently if we want to change colours, it changes EVERYTHING, which is a bit too much.

Though yeah, just thought I'd give some feedback on that, thanks for your time.
  2. Ripshaft

Curiously accidental post of bumpage!
  3. ShokkWave

Honestly, I like the option to customize my colors. However, I actually preferred the default colors. What would have been great is if they left things at the default level, and then gave the option to change them. This totally screwed me up for almost an hour until I was able to actually adjust things so I could figure out who was who.

I luv you SOE, but this was not a good idea.
  4. Kastrenzo

The only thing I wanted the ability to change was my squad colors, the HUD is now confusing for a TR player. terminal icons are blue, Tug of war is blue, etc. when you're used to seeing red. I liked the old sytem

also the ability to change faction colors enables people to break the mechanics of the game, and gang up on a faction.

Hypothetical situation vvv

NC Commander: Hey Vanu, I dont like the leader of X outfit in TR
    VS Commander: Neither do I
    NC Commander: Let's double-team TR All day and make them rage quit
    VS Commander: Ok, set NC and VS colors to green, set TR to red, and lets tell over orders chat for the grunts to do the same
    TR Commander: Funny that I'm seeing Both VS and NC attacking our biolab, and a lot of them aren't shooting at each other, and most of the VS/NC front is completley deserted
    VS Commander: NAH YOU'RE JUST PARANOID
  5. ComradeWinston

They need to add an option to go back to the default color scheme. It was perfectly fine and it made sense.

When I tried using the faction based colors I ended up TKing like five people and almost TKed plenty more. I guess I'll be sticking to generic blue vs red things.

But then again I could just dim the NC's red a bit so I know when I don't have to take a fight seriously. So actually... thanks SOE, that's kinda useful.
  6. DanGadelha