So, about that direct damage...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DrPapaPenguin, Apr 6, 2021.

1. DrPapaPenguin

It was fun the last 4 days. More fun that usual actually. Would love for it to be added to base game.
  2. Demigan

Please tell me this is a belated april fools joke? It just encourages players to be careless and think less about their allies. Its not going to be good for the game to keep it in.
    • Up x 2
  3. RabidIBM

This forum needs a down vote.
    • Up x 3
  4. InexoraVC

Of course NO ! If you want CoD TDM - go and play CoD.
    No friendly damage means:
    1. grenade spam
    2. rocket launchers spam
    3. T7 Chaingun spam (push the fire button and BRRRRRRT to enemies/friendlies whatever)
    4. MAXes anti infantry weapons spam
    5. dummy orbital strikes
    6. and more more more
  5. RedGeneral

They literally do this anyways...
  6. RedGeneral

1 and 2 still killed people during the event...
    3. Finally the T7 Chaingun is actually useful.
    4. They do this anyways...
    5. Orbitals should still kill people.
    6. The game was actually fun. Now its back to a goddamn chore of avoiding the *****.
    • Up x 2
  7. Demigan

Enough are careless right now to be annoying. Now imagine if 100% of the players did this. Add in the fact that players would have even less reason to interact with allies with the exception of using them as safe meatshields and you've got a crapstain bonanza.

I would personally turn it around: more punishments for FF. For example lets add an empathy system where 20% of the damage is dealt to the player who fired.
  8. RedGeneral

Then this will make the game even more frustrating. Especially when allies decide, at the last second, to spontaneous move in front of your line of fire. Why should I get punished for their stupidity?

I think one way to lessen FF incidents is to implement full collision on allies, so another friendly doesn't just pass through your body while you're firing.
  9. Demigan

I realized that option later, in the other thread I already mentioned that players who often get hit by FF would no longer give grief points or deal damage to friendlies in a reverse FF system. Best is if this is a legacy system: If on average you receive a lot of FF compared to the mean FF damage of all players, you will remain in this state even after a logout.

I dont think it wise to advocate such a state to other players until they get hit. Also the tally for receiving FF should only go up when you are hit by a player who had an enemy visible on their screen in the last second or so.
  10. IVANPIDORVAN

That was my best days in Planetside 2. Never enjoyed this game so much before.
  11. JibbaJabba

You don't. You get a sound and a warning, stop shooting them and nothing actually happens.

But you're talking about when it repeatedly happens right? That's on you. Reposition. Find another corner or firelane to work.

You should not get weapons locked in the game.

Collision would have to be calculated server side. This is already done with vehicles and results in some pretty wonky things. It would make a mess in a crowded fight I think. Don't get me wrong, if they could do it seamlessly, perfectly, yeah I would dig it. They can't though. Not possible, so it would suck real bad.

The friendly fire thing can be dealt with fine just by adjusting your play some. I can count on one hand the times I've been locked and most of those are from deliberate stupidity (harasser death race or something...). I've got a LOT of hours in this game.

Holding a fire lane solo? Best be strafing and peeking and moving. Holding it with others and a medic? Pick the spot, concentrate on precise fire, don't move so much. count on numbers, not dodging, to keep you safe. (and hold an edge on your right if you can, your head leans to the right when doing ADS)
    • Up x 1
  12. JustGotSuspended

Yeah they should fix the grief point system cuz it sucks lol. Some guys can sit in sunderers and shoot friendlies for 30 minutes, whereas another guy scrapes my vehicle and I get a 10min lock. It should be more clear how many grief points you have and how many you need before getting weps lock.

Also if possible the system should take into account the directive score, battle rank, playtime, etc of players. Most people who intentionally go on tk sprees are low br alts that get banned anyways. I think it's safe to assume if the ASP 100 guy with 19k directive score damages a few friendlies, he likely didn't mentally snap and start murdering his faction, his teammates were probably just being careless. Obviously these guys would eventually get weps locked and could get banned if they do decide to go on teamkilling sprees, but they would have a bit more flexibility when dealing with silly allies.

Overall friendly fire is needed, it helps teach the harsh nature of warfare, and hopefully trigger discipline and situational awareness at the same time. This is coming from a guy that loves to flank, and who's had massive streaks and super room clearings ended by a tk nade or such. As painful as it is to kill a few enemies in a row only to die to a friendly coming to "rescue" you, I feel it's part of the gameplay and it would simply be weird to suddenly switch it off. And as mentioned earlier, it gave allies the excuse to position themselves right in front of others and start spamming carelessly. That's not how you get better, and it's not too fun to deal with.

Its why instead of switching friendly fire off, they should just fix the terrible grief point system.
  13. JustGotSuspended

It's rare but it does happen. Mostly when doing the heavy or engineer directive, and friendlies decide your turret or lasher is the perfect spot for them to plant themselves in front of.

A lot of times I've had engagements ruined because the friendly suddenly rushes in front of me in an attempted to steal the kill, dies and then gets me killed as I reposition or if I choose to trust him with the engagement. Also people often start strafing all over the place, and a bit of ff is a great way to get them to control themselves. Ofc, it's partly my fault, but the best way I've found to deal with this is just shoot the friendly. Thankfully, doesn't happen often, and I don't get too many weps locks from this, but it has enough to annoy me.

The biggest issue though is when people decide to roll alts to tk me. Surprisingly, it's happened too many times for me to count, and it's quite frustrating having to deal with both normal enemies and then a random friendly that knows where you are on the map, can hide inside your factions sunderer, etc. I usually win the tk wars, but eventually this gets me locked or very close to weapons locked. That's when a friendly vehicle bumps into mine, or an actual ally eats one of my bullets and I get a 10-15min timeout. Again, it is partly my fault for choosing to engage in such stupidity, but at the same time it is frustrating for me to simply let someone tk me until they get weps locked or banned.