So a little bird told me....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Obscura, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Obscura

that DBG right now is actually in the process of developing a new engine for planetside 2 :eek: like an entirely new engine that apparently blows the current ones performance out of the water, but it's a secret because they dont want other companies copying it like some games have with the current engine. Could a new engine for them to work with help this game live up to its vision?
    • Up x 1
  2. Ballto21

possibly

improbable itd get done but if it did maybe
  3. FriendlyPS4

New engine to be out by 2025 an owl told me. -_-
    • Up x 9
  4. Armcross

"Hype Engine 3" might be the name.
    • Up x 12
  5. Leftconsin

Tell this little bird the most important problem is the fact that very laggy players can kill you upwards of a few seconds (I've had 8 seconds before) after you take cover.
    • Up x 1
  6. Yuki10

not true
  7. LOLdragon

That bird might be a little trickster. Last I checked, game engine development took years of research and development and polish before it's functional.

And PlanetSide 2 isn't the only game running ForgeLight. DBG is also using it for EverQuest Next and H1Z1 and some other games in addition to PS2... I really doubt they'd switch over to a new engine JUST to change some things with PlanetSide 2. And even if they did, I don't know what they'd change... sure, it needs a stupidly powerful computer to run this game really well, but aside from optimization, I don't see how ForgeLight isn't satisfying PS2's current needs.
  8. Demigan

I don't see no reason why it would be a secret. It's not like they throw development software out in the open (unless you are called Unreal developers).
    It's like that game where you get to destroy everything, or the Crysis engine, Snowdrop engine or something similar. They can say "hey guys, we've got a massively good engine in the works, look!" and then show everyone in-game stuff on how beautiful and powerful the engine is, how well it performs etc.
    So why wouldn't they be able to say they have a new/updated engine in the works? It's not as if people aren't aware that a better performing engine can be build than the current one. In fact from what I understand there are games that use updated versions of the current engine with destructible environments etc, and the engine was updated to be able to support all current continents on one map...
    • Up x 1
  9. Konstantinn

Porting from one engine to another is not trivial... what it might be is next version of ForgeLight, then it all depends on backwards compatibility and in that case it might be doable with a bonus of added new capabilities (swimming? moving platforms? event triggers? destructible terrain/objects? AI?) or simply more efficient....

Personally I couldn't care less about it being more efficient as my 3 year old PC built for under 1k runs this game just fine. Also it doesn't matter how much more efficient an engine can get it still won't perform miracles like being able to run on your 6 year old netbook with no dedicated video card.

Seriously doubt it's anything big in any way. I mean come on, it took them 2 months to add concussion grenades and platoons for PS4.... you seriously think something cool is going to happen anytime soon?

EDIT: PS - Keeping it secret because they don't want other companies to copy it??? That's ridiculous. Just because you tell someone "I wrote a new engine" doesn't mean they can decompile it to get something useful out of it even if they get a copy of it, useless without source code (not even finished source code!).
    • Up x 1
  10. IronMouse

Well, dr Doolittle, I highly doubt that.
    • Up x 1
  11. Movoza

Hmmm it seems impossible to me. Like LOLdragon says, it takes years to develop one. After that, you need to build the whole game up from practically scratch. The more similar the engine is, the less has to be changed, but you do this with good working engines that only need improvement for new technologies. Here you probably want an engine that has some key parts that are different. Like the netcode, which is one of the biggest things in the game, needs to be recoded..... Taking a looooong time. Then a large part retweaking and more tweakimg and testing and more.......
    No I don't think so. Would be interesting though, new netcode and better processing.
    • Up x 1
  12. Haquim

Doesn't sound very likely.

I have never heard of a game changing its engine.
    Maybe if they were developing Planetside 3.
    I'd be all for it though. Maybe it would solve a couple of the problems I'm encountering.
    Like infantry grenades mines and sometimes even MAX units rendering in my face and of course killing me instantly.
  13. Villanuk

Such a top secret you know about it and post on their Pubic forum lol Any source on this?
    • Up x 5
  14. sebastian oscar post

so you want this a secret huh? GOD YOU PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!
    • Up x 1
  15. Cynicismic

Well, whether true or not, the leaking of the information that indeed there may be a new engine being released really isn't that important. It's if any specifications get out that'll really throw a spanner in the works for DBG's secrecy element. Even so...

...@Thread: It wouldn't be out for a long while unless they've been working on it before in secret, because engine development is a very complicated business. Most games will use well-established or alternative engines, whereas a new one that'll "blow the current one out the water" would take a large amount of work. Game Engines can be massive pieces of software that consist of a dozen subsystems. Think of a Game Engine as a collection of subsystems that all work together to govern how a game performs; it's logic like collision detection, rendering of images, handling user input from the mouse and keyboard, and audio support for playing sound effects and music, among others, each represent a separate subsystem the determines the rules of the game.

For a new one that's like nothing anyone's ever seen will require a lot of work. Despite this, that's an interesting rumour.
  16. FieldMarshall

Instead of rushing it out to "save" PS2, i hope they polish it and use it for PS3.
    And let people carry over some of their stuff from PS2, like directives and cosmetics.
    • Up x 2
  17. Goretzu

Are they starting to develop their next generation engine or just a serious upgrade to the current engine? Possibly (although given how many Devs they let go it seems somewhat unlikely).

If they are will PS2 get it? Much, much, much less likely.
  18. Nagant

Well, I won't be able to find the source but as former PS1 veteran I was hyped to the extremes mid 2012. and read every bit of info I could find about the sequel. I vaguely remember something said by Higby or Smed that the Forgelight engine is designed to serve for an estimated lifespan of 10 years at least, and current PS2 doesen't use it's current potential. So the engine has more than ample reserves to serve the needs of the gamers around 2020.

New features may be unlocked in Forgelight during the forseeable future (till Q4 2016?), that's my bet.
    • Up x 2
  19. TheMish

For a few things? This game is way ahead of its time.

It demands a different game engine, because any normal ones we have today are just not enough for PlanetSide.

Most games don't have such an insane amount of things going on in their games, so it's not entirely impossible in my mind.

I mean its not like they've been fixing anything, ANYTHING.

I still have that crap where NOTHING I've selected for my vehicles is remembered. I can't even remember how many times I've pulled a Prowler with a basilisk instead of a vulcan or halberd.
  20. Haquim

Thats certainly annoying, but I think that the deployment system is far worse.
    That bug I can adjust to by simply checking my loadout every time I pull a vehicle.

Yesterday I tried to spawn into our squad Galaxy.
    1. Try: Spawned at Zurvan pump station.
    2. Try: Spawned at Zurvan AMP station
    3. Try: Spawned at the freaking eastern Warpgate.

I'm just waiting for the system to drop me into the ENEMY warpgate or something.
    • Up x 4