Sniper tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by direwind, Dec 3, 2012.

1. cruczi

Just wanted to say DERP to this one. 12x is my preferred scope and if I could, I'd use 24x at 200m
  2. Jawarisin

#render distance = 300m
  3. VogonPoetMaster

12x scope is the way to go for the following reasons:

1. you don't need to hold your breath at medium and closer ranges, which is a must if you want to survive these encounters.
    2. you can aim much faster at long range (almost snapshot), and you can snapshot at much farther ranges than with a lesser scope.

I go for every shot, no matter how insanely difficult, always for the head, and I don't think; I just shoot. The idea is to get my brain to subconsciously know where to place the shot so I don't waste time thinking, and it's working.
  4. kor kilden

I'd like to thank google for helping me necro this thread amd share my experiences sniping:

I tend towards more of a shorter range more mobile scout sniper than others, so I go with a bolt action with 2x-4x (depending on range) scope without the breathing mechanic, stalker with crossbow and 2-4x, or engineer with battle rifle. I tend to engage at 50-250 meters (25-150 with crossbow), ahead of or on the flanks for the front lines, and I focus on high value targets. If we're about to cap, I rush ahead to break their defense, if we're getting hit hard from the sides or suffering sniper fire, I respond to those threats.

If I'm unsure of range or lead on a target, I'll intentionally miss to see how much lead I need. people tend to not care a lot about (or notice) a stray bullet in a combat area. Most importantly, while I prefer headshots, I will take body shots with intent to wound only on some occasions. If there's a group harassing our armor or zergs on a ridge, I'll bodyshot a heavy. He'll raise his shield, his squad will panic looking for something close, and I just removed an entire very dangerous squad from the fight for longer than it'd take them to respawn with 1 bullet. Bonus points if I can keep them busy with headshots while they're searching behind themselves.
  5. Leivve

The lower the magnification of the scope, the less you need to hold breath. Higher magnification means you can land further shots more reliably.
  6. MisterSlim

I like the energy, not a lot of decent snipers willing to help other players out. There are a few holes in this tips/tricks list, which I am sure the rest of the posters in this thread will point out (if they haven't already), and that bullet drop chart could use some revision. Also, I'd recommend taking the time to list some credentials, nothing major, a line or two tops, just something that says "This is why you can trust what I am saying". I'm currently working on the revision process for my in-depth sniper's guide, and that should be completed over the course of the next few days. I do hope you'll check it out!

Keep up the Energy
    -MisterFr0st

EDIT: I didn't bother checking the OP's date.. Disregard the above.