SMOKE SCREEN IDEAS

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JDS999, Aug 21, 2018.

1. FateJH

It's not? Which implant was the "NV implant" that you referenced?
  2. adamts01

If it's in the user options file you're allowed to change it as you see fit. I just went back and read the TOS again, and it doesn't specify that user options edits have to be for performance reasons. I agree that it's a slimy thing to do, but turning smoke off is Daybreak's fault, not his. Like I said above, for computers that literally can't handle those particles, which some of my friend's computers can't, smoke should be a solid box blocking vision. It's just absurd that a weapon can be completely invalidated by the user options file.
  3. Demigan

So aside from insults and attempting to make two similar cheats dissimilar, you are going for the "dont look to hard and ignore things that might prevent your cheats" method? Because I just know you never looked or you would have found the messages, including the ones at BattleEye's PS2 launch, that included things like "should stop people from editing the. Ini file" and such. You just hope to make a statement in the hopes its true and failed.
  4. Demigan

Wrong question. I said I wanted a helmet with NV and such but that it would make the implant kinda useless. You then go "yahr ya want infravision". No I dont want infravision I want a helmet with toggable infravision on the LA so it doesnt take an implant slot and wont be active all the time.
  5. adamts01

Can you link where Daybreak has specified not to edit the user options file please? I don't like that smoke can be removed from the game, but it's in that file and removing particles isn't breaking any rules. Here's a link of Daybreak specifically stating that modifying that particular file is OK. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...d-anti-hacking-measures-incoming-soon.240778/
  6. Movoza

Maximising fps settings is a poor excuse. There are still ways to make smoke effective on low setting,s, even if you're just putting several expanding low poly 2d planes instead of volumes. If you're choosing performance, it doesn't mean you should be able to kill a strategy element in the game.

Your point of spotting through the cloud is valid, but only up to a point. You still lack a lot of information, like direction they are facing/moving and their class. You might miss the spot so not know they are there. You can still change the smoke to prevent spots, remove spots or similar things.

It is just bad if I use smoke and the intended effect is largely ignored.

Finally, it might not have great tactical value for you, but I myself can make it work. But if randomly some people have nullified the effect, it's rather random if my tactic that should work fails in that instance.
  7. TobiMK

Of course he can't provide any evidence, what he says is made up. Otherwise I wouldn't be touching any game files in the first place.
  8. FateJH

So it was Infravision you were talking about. Okay, that's good, I was concerned I didn't know my implants, secondhand though the knowledge is. Thanks for clearing it up.
  9. Demigan

There's no direct link not asking for editing the .ini file but there is messages about them (attempting to) fixing the smoke, hell they updated the vehicular smoke quite recently and it's actually very useful assuming your opponent doesn't turn smoke off. I could look for all the mentions when they were fixing smoke but what would be the point? You already believe that turning off smoke is a bad thing so I wouldn't be convincing you.

Tobi won't accept anything I say anyway. He already mentioned that spotting and shooting through smoke is easy. There is so much wrong with that statement. How could he know how easy it is if he turns smoke off? Ofcourse he could have started with it but that has it's own problem: If it's easy to spot and shoot through smoke then he wouldn't be having any framerate issues from smoke so he doesn't need to turn it off. If he does have framerate issues ("that's something I can't play with" were his words) when spotting and shooting through smoke it wouldn't be easy so he would be lying to get his way. So no matter how you interpret it he's got bad intentions with the statement.

We can also compare this with something else: moving into terrain. Moving through terrain doesn't require editing files, it doesn't give just you an advantage as everyone can do it all the time and there's no TOS or even a developer response condemning it, you'll find plenty of "report the holes and we'll fix it" mentions though. So moving through terrain is a less invasive abuse than turning smoke off... But if enough people report you for it, you get banned anyway. You can find out if someone is inside terrain by getting shot through walls and spotting enemies inside it, but how do you catch someone who has turned smoke off? It could be just that he spotted you or was using an IR/NV scope or similar so you can't really be banned for it.

Also for Tobi's sake, since they are still updating smoke and creating things for smoke, and since they deliberately updated smoke in the past in an attempt to reduce the differences between graphics settings there should be no doubt that turning it off is just a cheat for an unfair advantage.
  10. JibbaJabba

Re Allies being able to see through, or enemy highlighting or the similar...

I would rather it be universal to friends an enemies.
    Make Q spot markers clear and not be settable for a moment. Make it obscure the **** out of vision and linger longer in confined spaces vs open fields.
    This limitation should exist and be something the players must deal with. Either use it correctly, or coordinate with friendlies to give yourselves a near absolute upper hand. Speaking of which..

It should continue to be utterly transparent to INRV, Thermal vision, Threat detection, and night vision optics.
  11. adamts01

I'm sure we can agree that moving through terrain is exploiting a bug that gives a player an unintended benefit.

https://www.daybreakgames.com/terms-of-service
    • Exploit any bug in any Daybreak Game(s) and to refrain from communicating the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the end user unnatural or unintended benefits to the user)
    An argument could be made that turning off particles gives players the unintended benefit of seeing through smoke, but I still place the blame for this entirely on Daybreak for allowing particles to be set to 0. It's also completely clear that TobiMK knows exactly the edge that he gains over others by downplaying the effectiveness of seeing through smoke, which is situationally huge, and is attempting to avoid being called out for having an unintended advantage by clearly stating he turns off particles for frame rate reasons, though you and I know that's only a small part of the reason most people do it.
  12. Demigan

There's enough reason to mark "turning off smoke" as a bug as well, and my hope is that they'll either add disadvantages to turning off smoke or have the presence of mind to create some kind of basic sphere/box with a simple texture to prohibit seeing through smoke should you turn it off anyway. Similar to the openings in the terrain turning off smoke is unintentional and abusable.

Turning off smoke is also against the rules:
    • Modify any part of any Daybreak Game(s), including, without limitation, any Daybreak Game client and/or server. (this sentence is preceeded by "you agree not to").
    Although they condone parts of it like the .ini file so players have a QoL with things like changing the FOV. We even have this gem in the "cheating" heading:
    • When an end user obtains an unfair advantage by cheating it can ruin the gaming experience for everybody else. You may not disassemble, reverse engineer, or modify any Daybreak Game(s) software in any way.
    Modifying the .ini file is also modifying the software. But again, it's condoned for the QoL changes it offers, not for the acts of turning off parts of the game. And turning off smoke definitely gives an unfair advantage that ruins the gaming experience for everyone else.
  13. adamts01

100% agree.

It's still not fair to call it cheating, as they've clearly stated that the user options file is fair game, and the exception to their client modification rules. Can you link where they've ever stated you can only modify the user options file for machine performance reasons? I'm genuinely interested because I've spent quite a lot of time searching for something of the sort. Either way, Tobi made sure to state his reason was for a fps increase. Which I obviously don't believe, but it keeps him in the clear.