SMGs

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Kyouki, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Kyouki

In the January update there will be a new class of weapons, SMGs. I currently know the differences in style of LMGs ARs and Carbines, however i do not understand where the SMG stands. My favorite is the AR due to its versatility of long to close range. I do want a better medium range weapon. Would SMGs be able to fill that role without completely losing our close combat ability? If not can anyone explain how the SMG fits in with other weapons generally? Example being that carbines serve well as a light rifle at close to medium-close range but start to suffer beyond that. While LMGs can generally handle all situations as a heavy gun but recoil on the gun is harder to control. Something to this would help me greatly understand how this could change up the playstyle of the LAs if we are given access to the SMGs.
  2. Suriakk

Generally SMG's are considered CQC weapons. I think. I just can't see someone sniping someone else with an Uzi. He'll who knows maybe you can dual wield them as we'll like Danny Trejo in Predators.
  3. Pikeman84

Yeah, SMGs are usually CQC weapons in most shooters. I can see them being a sort of middle ground between shotguns and carbines. They excel at close quarters, though not as well as a shotgun, but still have some ranged capabilties, though aren't as good as carbines.

Personally, I don't even think they will be an option for LAs. We already have carbines that fill the CQC role. I would bet certs they're going to be an infiltrator exclusive. They've been needing a weapon like an SMG so they can actually infiltrate bases easier. (Think Infliltrators in Tribes: Ascend)
  4. Suriakk

Yeah I can see infiltrators getting this one. Good for them they need it.
    • Up x 2
  5. Rodek

I honestly don't understand the need to add SMG's to the game unless it's for Infiltrators only. Carbines already perform well in CQC and some can even be specialized for it. My guess is that this will be an Infiltrator only weapon to promote actual infiltration.
  6. Pikeman84

Hmm... Isn't there an alternate cloak type for infiltrators that let them fire their pistols while cloaked? Think they'll make that also work for SMGs? Probably not in my opinion.
  7. Gilgam3sh

seem usless thought this was future type stuff ..... smg is replaced short barrel assult rifles with may be bullpup design ???/ thought this wat carbine was....short barrel ar.... for better cqb.... smg just gonna be a auto pistol mostly... think giving infiltrator carbine better then adding whole new gun i love class weapon share>W> make it cheaper..
  8. Talizzar

It will be interesting to see who gets them as the post was not specific other than to say all empires will get them.
  9. HeadshotVictim

I think it's hard enough killing people without specialized CQC-weapons available. I try to get close and shoot them down with GD-7F or my shotgun... but with even HA's having a CQC-compatible weapon it will get SO much harder.
    Infiltrators seem kinda strange with their fast shooting rifles sometimes... but when they change the sniper rifles to SMGs it could be interesting
  10. Pat22

Don't know about their roles but I assume they'll be high RoF with low bullet damage and piss poor capabilities at range, so as everyone's been saying it'll be an indoors CQC weapon for infiltrators most likely.
  11. Lakora

The only thing that concenrs me with the SMG is that they didn't detail if it was primary or secondary. Since if you consider the size of an UZI or for example the AK47U n MP7 (CoD/BF3) they're small enough to suit as a secondary but strong enough to be a primary... At least that's in my opinion in terms of the size of it that and if you consider the fact that TR already got an SMGish kind of gun it's not too far fetched since it's possible for the technology of automatic or even burst fire to fit inside the shell of a handgun.

So what's the thought? Primary or Secondary?
  12. Strilac

TR allready have SMG, its called repeater
    • Up x 2
  13. Nehemia

I like you.
  14. Iridar51

I can see only two ways SMGs can ever be useful:
    1) Infiltrators can use them. They lack CQC option, because they can use only Sniper and Scout rifles, but their Hacking and IFF Gun may require them to be very close to the enemy, also SMGs and Cloaks go hand in hand for actually Infiltrating, imo.

2) SMGs can be used as a sidearm, but that'll make actual sidearms kinda pointless, unless SMGs will have considerably longer equip time. That way, SMGs gonna be nice fallback weapon if you run out of all ammo for your main weapon.

For all other intents and purposes SMGs would be useless, because shotguns beat anything within 10 meters, and carbines beat everything further than that.

Ofcourse, SMGs can take medium ground between shotguns and carbines, but that place is kinda taken by CQC carbines with 800-845 RoF, it can't get any higher. And it would be strange if SMG's would deal more damage per bullet than carbines.
    My 5 cents.
  15. Deathcapt

I'm going to say they're going to play more like PDWs where they have a very large magazine, high rate of fire, and short range, low damage, like the p90 or Bizon from most games / real life. Probably something like a 50 round carbine, with good hip fire, but bad ADS, and pistol style bullet drop and damage drop off.
  16. Suriakk

This

Here ya go TR Infiltrators

• Up x 1
  17. Siilk

Yeah, my guess is SMGs would be an alternative sidearm, a mini carbine you can take instead of your pistol. CoF would be terrible so you wouldn't be able to pistol-snipe people 15m+ away but it would be great for CQC.

Either that or Infiltrator-only primary. Otherwise I see no use for an SMG in PS2.
  18. biterwylie

SMG's in real life almost always use pistol ammunition, thus lower velocity rounds. They also have much shorter barrels than even a carbine. They basically offer more rounds per magazine and more control of the muzzle than a pistol. Basically more firepower at close range.

In real life they are enormously less accurate than a carbine. But this is not real life so wait and see.
    • Up x 2
  19. biterwylie

Agreed
  20. Lucidius134

i'de love one on my LA. I bet it will be 1000 certs though :/