SMG Infiltrator

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by VSDieHearted, Jan 22, 2015.

1. VSDieHearted

I am a VS infiltrator and I am working on getting 1000 certs and thinking on buying Eridani or Sirius. So here I am to ask for help.
  2. breeje

both are great weapons
    it's what you prefer, more bullets or firepower
    if you like fast play and running in enemy lines, i recommend the eridani
    when your picking off one at the time more stealth then i would go for the sirius
    let us know what play style you like and what you want to accomplish with the weapon
    so we can help you pick the right weapon
  3. VSDieHearted

I like to stealthy and pick off targets which are fight with my teammates but not noticing my presence. Just stealth behind enemy lines and pick off poor targets, to be simple.
  4. Jedesis

Can you aim well? If not get the Sirius.
  5. breeje

most infils with your play style would go for the eridani, with is an good weapon for the job
    and i think this will be the best choice for you, just keep in mined that the serius can do the job too
    i prefer the sirius for it's TTK within 20 meters

this video will help you
    • Up x 1
  6. Zoobe

Are you Sirius!

Can not remember seeing many SMG infs with the Eridani personally. Sirius is just hands down the better weapon. Hardly any difference in TTK or accuracy at all, Eridani is not a accurate weapon, really. Plus you can run ALS on Sirius, on Eridani you have to run extended mags.

Suppresor is also OK on Sirius, hardly notice it in ranges SMGs work and your opponent is usually dead before they ID where you are shooting from. lazer, Suppressor, SPA, 1x is nice. Sirius is a great weapon.

Get the Sirius, especially for your first SMG friend, you will not regret it, ever, it is most likely the best SMG in the game. I personally only ever use Eridani on HA running around towers as it handles a lot like Orion.
    • Up x 1
  7. Ravenorth

Well, SMGs are really not the greatest weapons for play style like that, they´ll do the job, but semi-auto weapons could do it better as you can attack from farther away and drop your targets with only few shots if you have a good aim.
  8. VSDieHearted

i seldom attack from far behind but attack like an ordinary solider at close or mid range with the ability to cloak
  9. Alzir

Back when I was asking the exact same question I went with Wrel's advice, which is basically to go with the SMG with the largest magazine because on that you can equip the advanced laser sight. I've not regretted taking that advice, but at the end of the day the moments where that mag size actually contributes to saving your life are few and far between ,and the hip fire accuracy is so good on a naked SMG the ALS isn't needed that much anyway. In short, you can't really go wrong here with your choice.
    • Up x 1
  10. Casey B

Apparently putting on a suppressor doesn't just reduce min dmg range it also reduces max dmg range. You don't notice the suppressor on a Sirius as much because the difference between 125 and 84 isnt as big as the difference between 148 and 91. So yeah if you want to use a silencer, go Sirius. If you want to actually be able to kill heavies head to head, use a unsilenced Eridani.
  11. Iridar51

I'm in a weird state of mind where I can't formulate my thoughts into cohesive structure, so I'll just throw them at you:
    • Sniping can be challenging, but it's not useful or interesting to do.
    • Sniping Infiltrators are useless to the squad most of the time.
    • Infiltrators have cloak, hacking and motion detection tools.
    • Cloak sucks. It's useful for sniping or an occasional getaway, but got too many downsides to be reliable.
    • But, Infiltrators make excellent squad supports due to radar detection and hacking. Incidentally, radar detection and hacking are useless for the sniper, or at least his squad.
    • So, for an Infiltrator to be useful to his squad, he needs to be in the mud with them. To place those motion detectors and hack stuff.
    • You can take a sniper or a scout rifle and fire from behind allies' backs. But an SMG will be more versatile and easier to use, and they make a much more effective dueling weapon inside bases' interior.
    • SMG infiltrator can use intel he gets from motion detectors and act on it himself - use his squad as distraction and flank enemies.
    To sum up, I think SMGs are Infiltrators' saving grace, and they bring out the best in them. I know this might sound weird, as there's supposed to be a **** storm over how SMG infiltrators are OP cheesball ****, but I never felt partial to that particular complaint.

I know this isn't what the thread is about, but I had this brewing in me for a long time, so I had to offload it somewhere.

As for the topic itself, I think you should go with Sirius. In some circumstances Eridani can be a better weapon, but it's not what I would recommend to use to someone who needs to ask the question. Low-capacity SMGs really require the user to be skillful and experienced to use them effectively despite their shortcomings.
    High capacity SMGs are more straightforward and forgiving, as long as you don't **** them with weird attachments.
  12. Leivve

potential vs constancy

It's always a hard decision for any game, Shooters and RPGs especially.
  13. Iridar51

While there is some truth to that statement, there are additional points you need to consider than just the strength of damage degradation.

1) Suppressor increases the odds you may need an additional bullet to kill the target due to damage drop off. This effect is less noticeable on weapons with higher rate of fire, and Sirius wins here: 845 vs 750.

2) But, Eridani gets higher maximum damage range by default (assuming SPA on both):
    Eridani: 143 @ 15m - 91 @ 40m
    Sirius: 125 @ 11m - 84 @ 42m

3) In general, high bullet damage is good, and I believe 143 is the sweet spot for CQC weapons.

4) What is also good is DPS, and - unlike other low-capacity SMGs - Eridani doesn't really shine here, it's DPS is roughly equal that of the Sirius. Out of the three 1st gen SMGs, I'd say Eridani is the weakest one.

5) To stand a chance against heavies, you need to go for headshots. Or you can ADAD like a madman and dodge HA's fire while showering that slow hulk with bullets. Either way works.

Sirius would be easier to use in the second way, because of higher damage per magazine, and because you can use advanced laser sight (ALS) without gimping said damage per magazine (DPM). It's possible for a skilled player to work through the disadvantage of low DPM while using ALS, and that is what I would recommend for a skilled player to do. But there's no need for tryhard mode when you can just use the Sirius.

6) Interestingly, 143 and 125 damage bullets kill a standard infantry target (non-HA) in the same number of headshots: four. And Sirius fires faster and has lower vertical recoil and no recoil angle, all of which increases the odds of you
    scoring those four headshots faster.

Worst case scenarios: going against full health resist shield HA or full energy NMG HA, both Sirius and Eridani have roughly the same TTK, as long as you're hitting headshots.

7) Then again, we have to remember that Sirius has lower maximum damage range, which increases the odds that Sirius will need five headshots where Eridani would have managed with just four, because 143 damage bullets provide high headshot overkill.

Then again, if you are gonna need an additional bullet against majority of your targets within your effective range (<20m), you might as well use a Suppressor.

8) All of this boils down to this: Eridani makes a better dueling weapon against non-HA, and has longer effective range, while Sirius is better when ambushing multiple targets and when killing heavies through overshields. Both of them are penalized by Suppressor, but due to their different strong points, in equal proportions and not by much.
    • Up x 1
  14. Casey B

Understanding how silencers hurt max dmg falloff has given me new respect for the MKV. Since the silencer is integrated, with SPA It does it's 8 shot kill out to 14m, and at 15m 8 shots leaves the target with like 1hp. Might be a rounding issue there.
  15. Jawarisin

PFFFFFFFFFT Eridani is just fine silenced, stop this blasphemy.
  16. Iridar51

There is no rounding issue, the Rangefinder implant - which I assume is what you have used to determine the distance - gives the error of 1m.
  17. HORNYBOSS

Many people will tell you to go with sirius, but dont lsten to them, because as infiltrator , you will (should) be facing 1 or 2 enemies at a time. I listened to people on forums which said that sirius is much better and i ended up dissappointed. Many people will also say that suppressor sucks, but you should take it because it is a must have for infiltrator and you wont be shooting past 20 metres. I listened to people on forums, didnt take suppressor, auraxiumed eridani, sirius, and ns pdw. Now i have MKV and i see that i was stupid for not taking a suppressor.
    • Up x 1
  18. Zoobe

Yeah, however MKV handles suppressor in a way no other ES SMG can, or does, it is totally different so much so it is not really comparable. Although, I do absolutely agree that suppressor is really must have for infiltrator.
    • Up x 1
  19. VSDieHearted

Yea. Infiltrator must get a suppressor for all weapon as no infil would want anyone to notice them just by listening to sound of weapon firing. That would be sucks for any infils.
  20. VSDieHearted

So what should I take for SMG infil?