Smedleys Thoughts... Reddit

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Villanuk, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnamon

Sounds like Smed couldn't get evilore to approve his gaf account.

Upvotes and downvotes are not that great in my opinion. It's better to have a community with people and types of discussions you recognise and admins who are able to keep people from being just disruptive or something.

When game marketing looks at forums they are mostly interested in how they can get a positive message across to be repeated by "influencers" or whatever. Systems that can be "gamed" like upvotes and downvotes are ideal for this purpose.
    • Up x 1
  2. Klatschnudel

I don't think so. Pure upvote systems are pretty much useless and in a sense stupid. SOE does this to prevent negative outrage on their forums to keep the company's image clean. And while a up- and downvote systems do have their drawbacks, you can still see what the community thinks overall. Btw "Fake" voting never worked.
  3. S7rudL

I assume that other people from other companies are also posting there for their games,..
  4. Ronin Oni

That why you don't post in Roadmap? :p

Man, you should see my post(s) in the "Taunts" thread... so many h8rs lol!
  5. Timithos

Wow, the illegitimacy of the official forums got taken to a whole new level. I feel like part of my life was wasted. Thanks SOE.
    • Up x 3
  6. Cinnamon

Yeah fake voting does work as do paid astroturfers posting on forums. That's why people are paid to do it. Unless you are one of those people who thinks that any sort of advertising doesn't work because people are too smart and see right through it? I bet you also think that all cheats in planetside 2 get caught and that certainly no well known players would do it.

When gamers have got annoyed with publishers and started their own "fake" campaigns to spread negative messages the games companies certainly react like it isn't something that doesn't work.
  7. Pikachu

I
    It used to have didn't it?
  8. Phyr

Nope. Upvotes were added later, but we've never had downvotes on the main forum.
  9. Modern Ancestor

What Reddit???
  10. z1967

http://www.reddit.com/r/planetside
    Behold the abyss of whines and circle jerks. And an outdated format that makes my eyes bleed, but that is beside the point.
    • Up x 2
  11. FieldMarshall

That is some of the dumbest and contradicting things i have read from this guy. Its like beating someone up while telling them you're not a violent person.

Hates his own official forums and the people on it and completely ignores it while telling everyone that he listens to the players.
    If the forum is so bad. Do something about it instead of treating like a dog you dont want by neglecting it.

I agree on this though. When trolls post on reddit, they automatically turn into decent people. (wtf?)

I feel like that is why people get the impression that reddit is so clean and everything is nice and nobody trolls.
    Its beacause everyone is just stroking eachother and nobody dares critizise anything anyone says because of the almighty downvote system.
    They get a completely skewed view, cause everyone just auto-agrees with everything out of fear. (Like North Korea?...)

If SOE didnt make great games, i feel like sony would have scrapped them a long time ago.
    They make great games, but as soon as they are released they are fed slowly into a "SOE thresher" until you are left with something that doesent look anything like the original awesome product.
    Ignoring the community, changing things that doesent need changing, bad ideas that nobody likes, poor community management, broken promises, money grabs, "lets abandon this for something else" mentality etc. just some of the things that keep recurring.
    I may get flamed, but it had to be said.

No idea why they keep destroying everything they touch. All i know is that smedley is in charge.
    • Up x 3
  12. PWGuy93

I see non-game forum hosted sites as a place for personal commentary.
    Forums run by a game company's have a level of legal liability associated with them.
  13. RadarX

I'm going to go ahead and close this as forums vs reddit is outside of a Gameplay topic. If you have Implant feedback we absolutely welcome it in the Test Discussoin forum.

This statement could not be farther from the truth. The official notes are posted here. Every update we've made on the Briggs server has been made here. All the new Roadmap content is posted here along with all the Test notes.

Implants are a great example. The feedback I've been collecting on that is exclusively from the Test Discussion forum. My point is while Reddit (and Twitter) both have their place, the official forms is still a crucial portion of how we do community.
    • Up x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.