Slug Ammo

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Ecko, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Ashlander

damn all of these asians with their extended mags already! I finished out my Reaper DMR for my main kit, and ive got some scopes and early level suit mods, but nothing else big. I use the max alot and i bought a grinder for the offhand. its kinda annoying to have 7/9 but its worked out well a few times where my scat comes back off reload when i need to reload the grinder. Id be down for another grinder and extended mags but that is a MASSIVE pile of certs to wait for and I dont honestly see myself being patient enough to wait for it.

The slugs however, might be completely worth it...

EDIT: just had a good life on that max kit and imagined what it would be like with a grinder main hand as well, with slugs and extended mags. 14/14 rounds would **** up ANYONE.
  2. TTex11

This thread has been a very interesting read.

I'm one of those who trialed out the Hacksaw and fell in love with it so much that I now carry two of them when I expect to be up close and brawling. The reduced range has made things awkward when fighting outdoors of course, but I've learned to adapt and do my best to get up close where I can cause devastation.

I've been pondering picking up Slugs so I can fight more effectively when outside, and was debating whether to put it into both Hacksaws. If the spread pattern is less with the Slugs though, I may consider arming one Hacksaw with Slugs and keeping the other with normal 'scatter' ammo for those 'in your face' encounters. Unless the loss of spread up close really isn't that bad...I guess I'll see when I pick up my first slugs.

Incidentally the reason -I- love using dual hacksaws is, just like was said before, the crazy fire rate. No need to keep tapping the button. Jut hold it down and spray for maximum carnage. Plus, if I keep myself under control in a crazy fray, I can keep up an almost continuous fire rate. Unload the whole clip of my left arm, pause long enough to count "one thousand" in my head, then unload the right arm. By the time it's done, the left should be almost ready to fire again. I imagine when I eventually pick up extended mags this will only improve even more.
  3. Purg

Just nailed ~40 infantry with dual Falcons while defending an amp station about 20 minutes ago. Took down 3 Sunderers as well until they found a parking spot that I couldn't reach from the towers. If a couple get to you up close, you may take out one of them but the other will bring you down. Great for defending amp stations against armor though as they offer a reasonable dual purpose. If we start to get overwhelmed by air then I'll grab bursters for awhile.

Comparison in kills and score between the two. May get 3 kills an hour with Bursters and ~2000xp. Got 40 kills as above with 13000xp for the hour (though that does include a 60% xp bonus). Happy to rock whichever is needed for defence at the time, but the Falcons are a lot more fun. ;)
  4. theGwa

So I've had a good play with the grinders now and have a few hundred kills with and without the slugs. I tend to almost always equip the slugs as there doesn't seem to be any problem killing in the >10m range with slugs (it's harder to hit them but when you hit the dmg is fine). Accuracy wise, they are not as accurate as a Piston with slugs (the only other shotgun I have slugs with so can only compare to that) but I do not know if the scattercannons with slugs are more accurate?

The good thing about the Grinders is that there's not such a driver to rush out and drop 1000 certs into extended mags, 18 slugs is plenty to be killing up to 4 enemies before reload. However, if I had 1300 certs right now I'd drop it all into hacksaws. I have the hacksaws and there's a pretty good samuel jackson quote that applies to them (no, not the one about the tastey burger, the one from Charlie Brown)
  5. Vonluckner

With double hacksaws, both with extended mags, I bought slugs for my first gun today, and after playing around with it I'm definitely going to be running slugs in both from now on. They're not super accurate, but doming someone at 20-30m trying to be cute thinking they're out of the danger area is extremely satisfying.

Something important to note that hasn't been mentioned: slugs reduce the rate of fire on the Hacksaws by about 10%. Your actual TTK against infantry is only marginally slower at 5m or so, with both guns being roughly a 3-shot kill, but you will be much slower at killing enemy MAX units at point blank. That said, your range extends out to about 50m which makes the Scattermax more viable across the board for far more situations.

I actually found running slugs in left hand and buckshot in right hand worked pretty well, since it lets you plink away with the slugs at range while still having that nice spread and rate of fire for fast moving targets up close.

Also, I can confirm that dual Falcons is also totally viable against infantry if you're somewhere like the walls on an Amp Station where you can shoot down on infantry and might see vehicles. It really suffers up close though since it results in a pretty big facehug deadzone and you will need to save your sprint for infantry that are =<10m from you.
  6. Anonynonymous

So can anybody tell me if the accuracy of the slug shell itself differs depend on which NC MAX cannon you shot it out of?

I'm currently slugging with my default scattercannon, and the accuracy of it kinda left me very underwhelmed.
  7. TTex11

Well I don't have any of the other MAX shotguns to test, but in my case I run dual Hacksaws and did a demonstration video showing the difference between slugs in one of them, and regular scatter-rounds in the other. If someone out there has slugs for a different version of the shotguns (grinder or scatgun or whatever) maybe they could show a comparison.

8. theGwa

I'e just run the same test with Grinder and slugs and the spread is the same as in your video. No real noticeable difference at all. The firing speed is alot slower though.
  9. Brewergamer

Now I've never used slug ammunition before (on anything) but what I always thought what might make a slug good is that you have all that damage from the spread into 1 bullet, so instead of hitting someone with a few pellets and the rest missing you could be hitting them with that 1 slug for full damage.
  10. irishroy

GUYS.
    i can't say smth. about slugs on hacksaws etc, but i got the slugs for my piston 1-2 months ago, and i hated it. hated it. hated it. hated it.

but now i am going to love these babies.
    imagine this:
    light assault.
    piston w/ slugs w/ extended mag
    w/ 2x C4

just climb up a hill/mountain, where you think snipers are.
    aim. 2 shots. dead sniper.
    2 shots. dead engy/medic
    3 shots. dead HA with active HA-shield.

mhhhhhhhhh.
    sounds goood.^^

but i don't know much about slugs on MAXs^^
  11. Zaik

Had slugs on a Scattercannon and Grinder very very early after release. It was quite the RNG nightmare, you'd sometimes kill half a dozen infantry in one magazine with each, and other times you would not hit anything more than once through the whole thing. The issue with close range shots not hitting the target because they come out of the arms is 1000x worse with slugs and I would recommend not even trying to use them at all if someone runs into you, its a lot less of a problem with plain shotgun ammo and being the extra slow MAX.

Seen a few people playing around with extended magazine hacksaw slugs and liking it, including people in outfit. Not sure if I want to risk wasting 300 certs again, but I have until account wide unlocks come out and I get my hacksaws back to decide I guess. I do have to wonder if MAX slugs got changed when they changed "all shotguns" to have 0.5 cof bloom/shot rather than 1 with GU2, that would help them a ton.
  12. Stigler

Full Auto and Hacksaw

When the M16 was first released it was single or full auto, this led to the initial 20rd magazines being unloaded far to quickly as the average trooper not being able to have trigger control under fire. Hence later versions had the three round burst.

The Hacksaw is easy to fire single shots, its refire time is 200 vs scattercannon 240. The Hacksaw though its "Pellet" spread is 4 vs the scatter 3, has a much tighter COF which combined with slugs and crouch works quite well outdoors. Now what I do not know is how this shotgun change in the patch effected the accuracy of the slug/hacksaw combo?

If you add a Hacksaw as your first double AI it is a pain to get used to the odd combo till you get a second Hacksaw, but it still works well.

And as someone else said, most people outdoors just stand there at 20-30 meters trying to get headshots on you and do not expect the slug. ;)