Skynight Bushido Nonsense

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JohnGalt36, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Moridin6

NERF REVERSE MANEUVER
  2. JohnGalt36

The reverse maneuver is easy. It is not the thing holding back new players from flying.
    • Up x 2
  3. SarahM

If it is so easy, please go ahead and explain it to us.
  4. CorporationUSA

Blame the lackluster tutorial system. The RM itself is fine.
  5. Gundem

Surfing or rocket jumping were never intended either, but they have created some of the greatest online games of all time(Read: Team Fortress 2, Quake Series, etc.).

Just because something is accidental doesn't mean it's not good. The Devs just need to embrace it, make it more accessible to newer players.
  6. CorporationUSA

Step 1: Hover
    Step 2: Pitch down as you hold space.
    Step 3(optional): Use afternburner
    Step 4: Wreck everyone because you're now an unstoppable god of the skies.
    • Up x 1
  7. SarahM

What does space do by default? (rebound my keys)
  8. Gundem

Vthrust
  9. Reclaimer77

On the flip side, it's also ruined lots of games. Tribes Heavy Sledding anyone?

I'm curious if an unintended bug gave AA an advantage over air if you would have the same opinion. I'm thinking you would be crying the loudest.

Personally I'm fine with things how they are, I was just giving an objective viewpoint. Anything that keeps the number of air users down is fine by me.
    • Up x 1
  10. SarahM

Ok, thx.
  11. Gundem

The thing is, it's not just a magic bug that doubles your damage or lets you aim more easily. It's simply a form of movement that allows for improved dynamic.

Another great example of unintended mechanics is Super Smash Bro's Melee, with Wavedashing. A game made over a decade ago for the NGC, still sells for $60+ on Ebay because of how popular it's "Accident" made it.

Is it any mystery why EVERY other Smash game Ninden'doh has thrown at us has inevitably failed? They keep trying to remove advanced level mechanics, and thus gut the game of any complexity.

If, as needs to be done, they made Wavedashing more accessible, a simple button you could hold that would allow you to wavedash, you'd be golden. Newer players could focus on learning to use Wavedash techniques rather then spend hours trying to memorize the complicated button sequence, that inevitably becomes simple muscle memory and the complexity therein does not effect high level gameplay. You don't see pro's in world-wide tourny's mess up their wavedash's.

As I said, make it more accessible. Give us a button that lets us force thrusters downwards.

Also, the comment about whining and AA was completely unnecessary. First of all, RM is only applicable to dogfights, not ground pounding. Second of all, as I said before, it's a technique that adds depth of movement, not a powerup that lowers the skill floor. Thirdly, you don't know if I'd be whining, for all you know I'd support it.
  12. Savadrin

You're telling me the cruise in and "hover pointed downwards OHLOLROCKETS HARHAR I REVERSE AWAY" isn't a form of the RM?

I tried flying twice for basic training objective. I tried rebinding, I tried a joystick, and none of it FELT like flying, so I'm saving it for last. Both times I died horribly.
    • Up x 1
  13. JohnGalt36

There are plenty of youtube videos. It takes like 10 minutes in VR to get it down. Also, what CorporationUSA said.
  14. Reclaimer77

Yeah I'm sure all new players to the air game know to go to YouTube and search "How to Reverse Maneuver in Planetside 2"

/S
    • Up x 2
  15. CorporationUSA

I agree. An in-game tutorial or a simple tool-tip would be nice.
  16. JohnGalt36

An in-game tutorial would be nice, but it's really not that hard to figure out. I asked the first person who shot me down using the maneuver how to do it and he was more than happy to. I got it down by doing air training in my outfit.

I'm not saying I'm great at it, but the basics aren't that hard. All you have to do is ask someone. Sending the opposite of ragetells pays off sometimes.
  17. FigM

this is a game, not a war. And we aren't fighting for our lives here. We are fighting for fun.

Lock-ons destroy fun.
  18. JohnGalt36

So does TK'ing.
    • Up x 2
  19. Goretzu

Essentially this is PS2:

How to drive a Lighting: getting in tank and drive it like any other game vehicle ever, move your turret and fire. Done.

How to fly an ESF: get in aircraft, probably crash into ground or a tree as you realise it doesn't fly like anything else you've ever experienced (even including in PS1), repeat lots, eventually find out from somewhere that you really need to rebind a lot of the default controls and settings to be remotely effective, eventually be able to afford an Airframe (hopefully you'll have found out from someone else that the one you'd think would be the one you need really isn't actually the one you need), eventually find out from somewhere that the RM is a good idea and that you really need to go on yourtube to learn how to do it, eventually be able to afford to try out A2A missiles and get TKd by an enraged Skyknight!

And Vanu help you if you try that with a Joystick first!

The difference is ridculous, the wonder isn't that newbies are totally put off PS2 Air (and possibly PS2 entirely if Air is one of their main reasons for playing games), but rather than any get through all that.
    • Up x 2
  20. Call-Me-Kenneth

i don't usually fly, and when i do i either pull a loadout with a random secondary or pull shotgun/fuel extenders with the radar. just to mess with the people playing stealthily.

this means i use any gun, including lockons and swarms. never got tked. and would never think of tking people for their choice of guns.

the ONLY thing that pisses me off are dual or triple tomcat squads. they are a sure death sentence... and they can stay ganking on enemy territory FOREVER.

personally i think they should buff all secondary ESF weapon systems and SEVERELY limit the ammo. tomcats should be two and you are empty. and it should be the old Fire and Forget Tomcats... i wouldn't mind an "i win button" if the hard counter is flares. having them would mean an ESF with only two tomcats couldn't possibly get the kill with tomcats alone and some dog fighting would be necessary.