Skyguard

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shortpower, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Shortpower

Alright so I just got killed by a liberator again, strafing with a tankbuster of course. Now while I personally believe the liberator is a gunship and therefore should be at medium-high altitude bombing NOT STRAFING. Here in this post/rant however I wont be begging to nerf to lib (mainly because I have no idea what to do to remove it strafing ability- and i like the tankbuster for anti-gal purposes). My conclusion is that the skyguard is the real culprit behind the opness of the tankbuster; for example when a tankbuster swoops towards the front armor of a skyguard lightning and shoots it the lightning will lose nearly all of its health, then its as simple as pulling up and letting 1 dalton ball finish it. Then the lib floats triumphantly away, this should not be!(Notice exclamation point) The skyguard should have a huge (20-30%) increase in damage at ranges under 100m. Then if the lib decides to swoop on the skyguard itll be much more dangerous. The damage should drop off at 100m to what it currently is at 100m as to make sure it isnt too much better against gals, valks, and esfs because it already preforms well there.
    • Up x 1
  2. Armcross

Use stealth try not get spotted.
  3. Daigons

So you are upset that a tank hunter found and terminated a tank? From what I've personally seen, just about nay solo vehicle is easy XP for a tankbusting sneak attack. Solo Skyguards are easy meat for Gal stomps, Lib tankbusting, a light snack for MBT, and a well loved chew toy for Harassers, Lightings and Flashes. I found Skyguards shine when they are grouped up with another 1-2 Skyguards and a few other tanks to help protect them from other ground forces.
  4. Azawarau

This is why i use AA sunderers for liberators

Its viable even alone and deadly with a team

Though if a tank finds you youre dead
  5. Demigan

The G2A system needs an overhaul, badly.

A2G is currently OP because the lack of proper mechanics to counter aircraft attacks. If you don't have AA with you there's simply no escapte while if you don't carry AV/AI with you there's still several options to run and/or hide and avoid death. The moment you do have AA with you it depends on how much: 1 or 2 will still mean you are screwed, more will mean an exponential increase in power and become OP against aircraft in return.

A good system would be if aircraft have to deal with AA almost everywhere, but they can try to use evasive maneuvers, run and hide or fight back regardless of the amount brought against them (up to a point, you don't expect one tank to with of 8+ AV weapons pointed at him no matter how good he is). In return a good AA user could kill aircraft solo through use of skill in positioning, aiming, timing and knowledge, assuming his skill high higher than the aircraft's skill to use evasive maneuvers/terrain/fight back.
  6. Taemien

350 nanite single person vehicle got ganked by a 450 dual or trio person vehicle. I don't see the issue here. Sure the Skyguard is Anti-Air. But that Lib is Anti-Ground.

Try matching the manpower requirement of the Lib next time. Use two Skyguards, and watch them melt. I've said it time and time again. 9 out of 10 problems people have in this game can be solved by pressing P and joining something.

Everytime one of these threads popped up. Its because the poster lone wolfed it up in a MMO.

Here's the opinion of a squaded player on facing Liberators:

"At least those guys are being useless up their, and not fighting us down here."

That's right, they are useless, they are a detriment to their team. If they float over a 50/50 fight they just allowed the defenders to redeploy two more in. And they did NOTHING to help their team get to the control point.

That not my opinion of me using a Lib. That's my opinion of facing them. They granted me 2 reinforcements. Great job.
  7. Obstruction

this thread is so ******* boring every time.
  8. Demigan

150 resource 3-person vehicles annihilate 450 resource 2-vehicle's all the time.
    Balance isn't just about how many gunners the vehicle has combined with the resources it cost, it's how effective the weapon is in it's field.
    A dedicated AA that sacrifices just about everything to engage aircraft, but can only do it when supported by others?
    That set up against a 3-person vehicle that is better at AA than the dedicated AA and better at AV and better at AI? Combined with high speed and maneuverability? This isn't balance and it's definitely not fun.

It's not just about Liberators, its also about ESF. ESF are the most dedicated lone-wolf vehicle out there, and they somehow need teamwork to be taken down?
    Also a good Lib pilot can engage 2 skyguards, kill one and get away before he's destroyed, then repeat it. All the while he's also better capable of engaging aircraft and infantry than that Skyguard.

ESF are the holy grail of lonewolfing, defending them with arguments like this is textbook hypocracy.

Don't know what kind of squads you join. Most of the time I joined squads people usually didn't want to spend any firepower against the Lib because they would just wait until the power disadvantage against ground forces got the AA killed, or change back to AV/AI roles because the aircraft stay away for a short while and doing nothing in any FPS or MMO is a gameplay mechanical sin.

Aside of destroying attackers Sunderers... Or killing off defenders vehicular reinforcement... Or funneling the defenders into "safer" zones so that they won't be killed by aircraft, meaning the attackers need to spread out less and have more chokepoints to use.
    • Up x 3
  9. Crayv

Aircraft shouldn't kill ground units. Just detter them.

As long as aircraft have the strongest weapons in the game, balance for them will always be near impossible. The Valkyrie is what an aircraft's weapons should be like. Unfortunately for the Valk, it shares the skies with a bunch of overpowered flying tanks.

Aircraft need to brought down to the Valks level and then having weak AA is okay because a single aircraft isn't going to instantly ruin a fight because it was allowed to fly over a fight for 10 seconds.
    • Up x 1
  10. raykor

That's an interesting idea. The strafing lib will still get the kill but you would damage them enough that perhaps an ally will finish them off.
  11. Liewec123

true in theory but the lib isn't really dedicated A2G in game, the majority of libs i see will be flipping their bellies and snookering ESFs, they're like the greatwhite sharks of the sky, top of the food chain in A2A.
    skyguard however is really really weak against ground vehicles and the huge CoF even makes it difficult to kill infantry, G2A is its one and only use.

tl:dr skyguard is pure, dedicated AA, lib is anti everything.
    i do think the guy in his dedicated anti-air tank should be more than "look free certs!" for libs.
  12. Taemien

ESF?

One clipped by Skyguards.
    One shot by heavies. -no nanites needed-
  13. OldMaster80

Those weapons are ok. The problem is ESF and Liberators shouldn't be allowed to hover at all and they should behave more like supersonic jets. The Liberator should neither have afterburners.
  14. CNR4806

Ditch the Skyguard Lightning and get a (Dual) Walker Sunderer. You'll get much better mileage against all kinds of aircraft, and you can either make it super-tough or perform secondary duties.

As it stands the Skyguard is a bit of a joke. It's an one-trick pony that isn't even particularly good at that trick.
    • Up x 2
  15. Gundem

See, this is the issue of perspective I talk about in PS2 air discussion.

As a Lib Pilot, my 1st and foremost priority on the ground are Skyguards. Since I often spot them before they spot me, the thought isn't as much of a "Oh look, free Certs!" as it is an "Oh ****, a Skyguard! Better take care of that first!"

Of course, other Lib's are still the highest priority. It's an issue of dominance. We gotta teach that smelly other lib crew that we are the baddest Liberator in the sky and this is our farm, not yours!
  16. Imp C Bravo

This is the real reason you hate libs. You have trouble getting people to work with you on them and stay on task with you -- and you can't solo them.

This is patently untrue.
  17. Inex

Calling a Lib "Anti-Ground" is like calling the Fury "Anti-Vehicle". It's very good against vehicles, but pigeonholing it like that dramatically undersells how potent the weapon is.
  18. Jubikus

Both can be extremely easily avoided you need more than 1 AA to shred them before they just boost away.

The problem with AIR VS AA in balance terms is air has the ability to combat everything in 1 package even ESF which is a 1 man crew can literally kill everything on the battlefield dont believe me just pull an airhammer + rocketpod ESF congratulations you can kill everything. The problem with AA is that it cant kill anything it can make some things go away which leaves it even weaker than most hard counters in the game. Lets compare it to the Archer the engineer sniper rifle that does massive damage against maxes it does this well it sucks at doing anything else but it can do this 1 thing pretty good this weapon is generally considered garbage. Now AA is similar especially if the max has cover to poke in and out of the difference is a max is slower cant just get to cover as fast and you can actually chase them down you cant chase Air down unless your air.

This leads to another argument " if your tired of air just pull air" this argument is the most ridiculous of all of them just about everything in the game has a hard counter in addition to being able to be countered by itself. Tanks and Maxes are killed by almost everything while air is almost killed by nothing other than other air this leaves it with its versatility of being able to be anti everything the most powerful nanite sink in the game.

And this brings us to the last point. "If air was so good why doesnt everyone use it" well its simple Air has the largest barrier to entry of anything in the game if you pull a stock Lib or ESF your probably going to do nothing before you die. With a stock lightning or MBT your probably going to kill some infantry before you die. This is largely do to air killing air and the skys being ruled by Experienced pilots farming anyone trying to get into it. This is also the case with tank but on the ground your much more likely to kill a few people before one of the pros finds and wrecks you in the open air your going to get obliterated much sooner.

In this game OP really means TOO VERSATILE the most called out OP things in the game can be anti everything like ESF LIBS and Heavy assaults.
    • Up x 3
  19. Liewec123

but that becomes hard to believe when you could hover infront of him for 30 seconds, let him tickle you with flak, wait for him to run out of ammo and then 2 shot him with your dalton. skyguards are no threat to skysharks, which obviously is a big balance issue.
  20. Gundem

Well lets look at that scenario and examine what's exactly going in.

Assuming you are being literal and actually shot at a Liberator for 30 seconds, that means you are being very inaccurate. A single Skyguard has at most an 18 second TTK, nearly doubling that means you are missing around 40% of your shots.

If in the more likely case you are using hyperbole to make a point, then lets look at the vehicle itself

The Liberator is a 3-crew vehicle. The Skyguard is a 1-crew vehicle. I promise you that if you coordinate and get a 2nd Skyguard, that Liberator will not be so brazen about attacking you. A 3rd, and any aircraft, even Galaxy's, will pretty much melt in front of you.