[Suggestion] Skyguard suggestion

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Diilicious, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Diilicious

despite many gripes, Skyguards are ~'okay'~ dogsh-t in most situations but whatever.

the part that really gets me is when air vehicles face tanks you with literally almost zero repercussions, regardless of what aircraft is it you are literally shooting the pilot through the glass and everything is fine. and yes i know its not /supposed/ to be realism, but the skyguard does need a small injection of realism to make it less unbearable.

So what I propose is

1. Within 30m the Skyguard weapon does double damage against air vehicle armour types, which falls off sharply over 50m to its regular damage output.
    2. Give the Lightning (works only with skyguard equiped) a magdump mechanic that uses the utility slot, which doubles rate of fire for 3 seconds, with a 60 second cooldown. with five tier upgrade levels to this being maybe to increase the length of time it stays on for 0.5s per level and bring the cooldown back by 5 seconds per level.
    • Up x 1
  2. LaughingDead

within 30 meters, can 3 shot infantry ;)

Also tie maxxed out radar to the skyguard.
  3. Diilicious

I thought this was a pretty good idea too, it would fix the issues i have with the skyguard... nobody else? :S
  4. Demigan

We need G2A weapons that aren't based on over-the-top skill reducing mechanics.

8m flak detonation range combined with spray&pray?
    fire-and-forget lock-ons that only require you to aim in the direction of your opponent?
    high-velocity ammo combined with spray&pray?

Please please just throw all the current G2A mechanics in a ditch and burn them, then re-introduce all G2A weapons. Flak needs a maximum of 2m detonation range, although it should be around 0,5m. Lock-ons should be maintain-lock, can acquire a lock after firing/after lock is broken, have a faster lock-on time but also require the player to actually aim at the aircraft and the missiles would have lower maneuverability so that the user needs to lead his target more. And lastly we need autocannon weapons that have a long reload, small magazine but good velocity shells (500 to 700m/s) and high damage.
    We also need a division between 'normal' AA designed against ESF and AAA that's designed against Galaxies and Liberators who have much more difficulty dodging attacks. AAA would have slower velocity weapons but have massive damage per hit.
    Additionally weapons like the HE and HEAT canons should get more elevation to function as high-skill G2A weapons that can hit ESF but not really finish them off while still being powerful against Liberators and Galaxies. Potentially the Lightning could get access to a co-ax cannon designed against either infantry or aircraft, which puts the Lightning on a more equal ground compared to ESF who also get access to a 'co-ax' nosecannon and a powerful secondary (primary of the Lightning). Keep in mind that rocketpods completely outmatch the Viper cannon in each and every way and that the Hornets even make the AP canons of the Vanguard and Magrider think twice. Vanilla Hornets have 1,5 times the DPS of a Vanguard AP, but better alpha, better reload upgrade, more ammo, no bullet drop, access to both laser guided and fire-and forget (using or exiting a scope interrupts the laser-guidence). So there's no reason for the Lightning not to sport such a weapon. MBT's are only 100 resources more expensive and offer more armor, ES abilities, more powerful primaries and a powerful top gun so they don't necessarily need a co-ax, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.
    • Up x 1
  5. SoljVS

Skyguard should be more lethal but should require way more skill. Flak detonation range and just range period needs to be tweaked some more, but as far as how things are now ESFs take infinitely more talent to operate effectively (not talking about on typical noob lolpodder level) than some tank hiding somewhere playing point click at the sky and that is the reason scoring kills with them is so hard because its incredibly DUMBED down like most things that are AA (this is a trend in most games).
  6. Haquim

First of all, 1. is not how the system works at all.
    You can't do double damage against armourtype X in 30m and then gradually less. It is a fixed value.
    You CAN double the general damage of the weapon and adjust the drop-off - but that would only be great at shredding sundies and footmen, since aircraft NEVER take the direct weapon damage. They trigger the shrapnell explosion and take that damage.
    And I think most people would agree that adjusting explosion damage depending on distance travelled doesn't make much sense. Also PS2 has no precedent of such a mechanic, so its propably not possible anyway.

And the magdump.....
    An ESF without flakarmour gets dropped in 3.9 seconds even without that mechanic.
    ESFs with max flak drop in 5.6.
    Adding to that the fact that AA scales incredibly well, I gotta tell you thats a no-go too.
    Unless ESFs get some riddiculous boon too. Like pretty much the same one? Doubled reload speed on Hornets?

Skyguards need better versatility, so they can fight things on the ground too, they don't need to be even better against aircraft.
    The fact that aircraft is so scared of therm Skyguard users are usually incredibly bored because aircraft run at the sight of them is pretty good proof of that.
  7. Demigan

Actually you just described the way damage can be based on distance travelled.
    Flak needs to travel a few meters before it activates and detonates. In CQC the flak will simply impact with the aircraft without detonating, dealing it's direct damage.
    So why can't you have two triggers? First one that activates the flak detonation after the first few meters and gives you a huge explosion, then one that changes the strength of the explosion.

I'm not saying I want this, I don't, but it should be possible. I would rather re-introduce the old flak system. Flak would detonate not when it entered the flak detonation range but the moment the flak started to gain distance on the aircraft. That way a flak pellet that flew close to the aircraft would deal more damage, and with 'good aim' (we are still talking about the huge COF flak) you could hit the aircraft directly and have both the direct flak damage and flak explosion damage.
    Ofcourse this was nerfed because it 'gave too much DPS to skillful flak users'... I mean come on...

haha, ESF already have that.
    vanilla hornets deal, after all resistances and armor values are calculated, about 1,5 times the DPS of a Vanguard AP since it fires two missiles but has the same reload speed as the Vanguard AP.
    Unfortunately the reload speed upgrade for the Hornets is also better than the Vanguard version. Additionally the Vanguard AP has shell drop while the Hornets are laser-guided or dumbfire (use of scopes disrupts laser-guidance) without any drop. So yeah, Hornets are pretty much at the ridiculous boon already.

All G2A needs to have at least one ground-based role. You can always be sure that there's infantry, if there's vehicles you can be sure that they'll be there when you get back or hit them a few times, but aircraft can be gone for 1 minute or stay away for an entire hour before the next one arrives. This means it's almost impossible to tell if holding on to your G2A weapon is of any use, and any G2A weapons that are pulled are always reactive against aircraft instead of pro-actively pulled.

Also the fact that aircraft are scared of Skyguard users is because it screws up their chances of fighting there, not their chances of dying (to the G2A source). If the G2A isn't scaled and it's just one or two Skyguards it's still possible for aircraft to do quick attack runs, but the attacks would need to be short. Compare that to the lazy swerves and hover-mode combat that aircraft often use in A2G attacks when there's no G2A around and you can see why they are 'frustrated', it becomes actually somewhat difficult to kill something as your window is cut short.
  8. Diilicious

I believe my opening post would have solved the issue of having ground based roll for G2A tbh... as somebody said you could effectively melt other vehicles and infantry at close range, that would be great. high risk high reward as youd have to be balls deep in the enemy to have any effect on them but you WOULD have an effect on them should you chose to be brave enough.

I would like a better G2A using the faction MBT chassis, changing the turret etc. perhaps a turret with two walkers on it either side. thatd be great.

something like this sans the missiles
    [IMG]