SKILL NO SKILL SKILLED UNSKILLED. It's going nowhere.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Earthman, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Gustavo M

Get used to, "be one with", climate, etc.
    And yes, you can be "skilled" in Planetside 2. An example would be shooting on the biolab's ceiling to make your opponent think you are busy dealing up with a LA right in the middle of the biolab. While, actually, you are right behind a wall in a perfect spot to snatch a hit on your enemy's head with your sniper rifle.
    Or to throw a grenade against a wall, making it bounce to another room, and directly to a enemy's group hiding inside.
  2. Giggily

TBH the DasAnfall stats site already has this problem solved for us because it ranks players based on their statistics (acccuracy, K/D, kills per minute, XP/min, etc.) based on a bell curve, anywhere from F rank Tier 5 to MLG rank Tier 5. It also now scores players based on infantry vs infantry combat, MBT v MBT, ESF v ESF, and auxiliary gunning.

[IMG]
  3. Earthman

The problem with this stuff is it's still doing the same thing with greater breadth and detail: taking everything in a game that's as far as I know supposed to be this entertainment thing and putting report card style grades on it.

I guess to some people that can be fun, all right. For me though, it doesn't at all settle the issue of the "skill/no skill" rhetoric wars. So which part of the chart are we supposed to prioritize? Or all of it? You mentioned the versus scores. Is it more important to be effective versus infantry? Vehicles? Aircraft?

All of that is complex enough where the information CAN be useful, but the problem still boils down to half-wits in the forum and elsewhere barking "skill" and "no skill" and "skilled" and "unskilled" with either total ignorance of that chart, or with a tiny narrow fixation on one portion of it. Most commonly, sniper fetishes.
    • Up x 1
  4. Kitakami

The thing is, there's nothing in PlanetSide 2 that requires great skill. It just isn't that deep. Frex, it takes more practice just to get a decent first serve in tennis than it does to do anything in PS2.

There's a modicum of skill required, everything is sheer experience. So forumites say "L2P" when really, they'd be more accurate to say "P". Just play.
  5. Giggily

It's still good for looking at individual player skill in different categories. For example, people claiming that they're super amazing headshot wizards who routinely snipe people from 5000 meters away you can check the standard deviation on their HSR and kills per minute with sniper rifles and bam, wow, you can see whether or not they're getting a kills per hour remotely approaching the norm for the weapon.
  6. Earthman

That's quite a sidestep of the situation, though I can't say for sure you're wrong about it. Though you don't necessarily seem right either.

Still, what WOULD constitute skill for you? Are you going to use gaming culture's favorite go-to gold standard for everything, chess? Or some other example?
  7. Earthman

I don't dispute that at all and I do think it's useful for what its intended for.

I'd dread a day where it's posted next to people's names in forums and elsewhere like that "gearscore" thing from WoW armory.

If you think it's ugly now, imagine the tribalistic screeching when someone has an opinion with metrics below some hivemind expectation.
  8. Dagonlives

This guy gets it. Handles are VERY IMPORTANT.
    • Up x 1
  9. Giggily

10. Earthman

I see, but I admit I'm not following how it applies to things here.
  11. Meeka

Skill is having the capabilities to use the tools you have at at hand to kill the opposition in the most efficient way possible without dying yourself; the tool is irrelevant, the opposition being dead is all that matters.

I use stealth + lock on A2As to obliterate farming ESFs and Liberators all the time. I get hate tells about how unskilled I am because I ruined their unskilled infantry farms with my unskilled ESF/Libby farming.
  12. NinjaTurtle

Wow someone can't take a joke.

http://4.bp.************/-hb_pRk9oxsI/UZ2mgKrFS0I/AAAAAAAAAaE/jrdA2Yv-31s/s400/WhySoSerious.jpg
  13. Earthman

So you're doing the "backpedal while sniveling" tactic, and applied a meme picture as a supplement.

Say something useful or take your borrowed "joke" back to wherever you copypasted the picture.
  14. Kapernum

This seems to be a very frustrating subject for you.

Why?
  15. TheFamilyGhost

You need to consider the demographic making the "skills" posts.

It is extremely juvenile, and unable to accept setbacks.

There is no reasoning with that demographic, you can only let is take its course and hope things don't get wrecked too badly along the way.
  16. IamDH

If people think an item is soooo easy to use, why dont they use it?

They cant stoop down to that level? I agree with you on this
  17. Earthman

There's a near-inversion of this that also stands and has to be considered.

It's one thing to enjoy a "hard" weapon, perhaps to use it enough to start using it well, perhaps even approach what some would call mastering it. It's another to expect everyone else to use that same weapon and expect all measuring sticks to be based upon use of that particular kind of weapon.

It's like having a bunch of kids playing in sand, liking a tiny little shovel, and then forcibly pulling all the other shovels out of the hands of the other kids playing in it and demanding they use the tiny shovel only or they are terribad scrubz.
  18. IamDH

Lol that is a good comparison
  19. Earthman

That's the part I may never fully get.

Zooming out of my own preferences, my own biases, and looking at FPS games as a whole, I can imagine a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction with really getting good at hitting people with an imaginary sniper rifle at long range in a video game. I can imagine being really excited and even wanting to show off my level of mastery if I got there.

But what happens next is very alien to me. I can't imagine any scenario where I'd expect everyone else to carry around the same pretend weapon in the video game or else I get to cry "unskilled" until they copy me and because I have more practice I farm them. Sounds boring and stupidly selfish.
  20. IamDH

I think its just them venting frustration. Maybe they feel like they worked hard for something that someone else can achieve a lot easier