Sights [1x] ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by customer548, Jan 29, 2017.

1. customer548

I noticed that many good players use [x1] sights. They are also good at killing me from long ranges. They often go to HS in easy ways.
    I don't get it.
    When I use those sights, I'm unable at even "seeing-noticing-detecting" targets in the right way at Medium-Long ranges.

I always have to use [x2] sights.
    I thought maybe my monitor resolution or my monitor were a problem. I play the game with a 1680 x 1050 Resolution. On a 10 years old VGA 2ms monitor. GPU is GTX 960.

Maybe the Resolution I use is too high ?

What are the Resolution and monitor you usually use ?
    Any other advice ?
  2. Crayv

I usually spot the target first and use the dorrito to adjust my aim.
    • Up x 2
  3. Newlife1025

Im only using 2x. I use ps4 so it might be different
  4. CrimsonEclipse5

I'd suggest upgrading your monitor. 1680x1050 is really not going to be utilising the full potential of that GTX960, not to mention that running at that lower resolution will make aiming at distant targets more difficult.

I'd also suggest going to the VR Training room and messing around with different sights to see what works. 1x sights tend to be generally considered the most viable option, however some weapons have a sufficient range that equipping a 2x sight can be worthwhile.

As an aside: 1x scopes actually apply a magnification of 1.35x (I think that's the number...), because reasons. Just something to keep in mind.
  5. OgreMarkX

I am not the best shot by far, but I used to use the 3.4 or higher scopes all the time...then I realized the 1x and 2x are better, less sway, keeps your field of view relatively open as you fight, and I get more kills.

Seems weird, ya.

Once in awhile I do use a 4X scope. On my SABR-13 medic assault rifle (single and double shot mechanism on that rifle). And on my AMR-66 battle rifle. And sometime son my heavy assaults LMGs depending on the fight.
  6. Eternaloptimist

I use 2x for close / medium and 3.4x when shooting at longer ranges. I can use the 1x but I am not a great shot so I feel a bit better with a slightly larger target to aim at.
  7. Pat22

The lower the magnification on your sight, the easier it is to compensate for recoil. So as long as you know where to point the sight to score headshots, it'll be easier to keep it there.
    • Up x 2
  8. Odins Son

Some "pros" just use a larger hitbox for their enemies head. It turned out a while ago that this was possible by overwriting a txt document in the PS 2 files. DBG fixed this issue but it's back again. As well as the no hitbox for the head some ppl are running nowadays.

But also some honest pros use a FOV of only 50 - 60 which magnifies the view itself.
    • Up x 2
  9. Rydenan

I find my aim at range is actually better with a 1x, possibly because its easier to compensate for the recoil, or possibly because I'm just more used to it.
    But it also gives you the advantage of a wider FoV while scoped, as well as a better ability to track quickly moving or close targets.
    Further, I run 55 vFoV (the old default), which helps keep things in the middle of the screen a reasonable size. Honestly, I think the increased peripheral vision gained from higher FoV is not as useful as many players think it is, especially since the trade-off is making the things in the middle of the screen (where you're looking 99% of the time) way smaller. If you're being situationally aware and checking your surroundings, you'll see your enemies, regardless of FoV. And if you're not, the extra peripheral vision isn't going to help you.
    Case in point, I recently got a nice ultrawide monitor, which extended my horizontal FoV. It's a beautiful, but I don't think it's improved my ability to play the game.
  10. travbrad

The size of your monitor and how close you sit to it probably makes a bigger difference with 1x sights than the resolution. Going from a 21.5" monitor to a 27" monitor I noticed it's a lot easier to pick out fine details at range with 1x sights, and both monitors are the same resolution (1080p)

I don't like 2x or higher sights because I have less view/awareness of my surroundings with those,
  11. breeje

I am not a good pro but I often use 1x scopes to counter snipe snipers at long range
    It takes some practice to get used to it but it's easy enough to do
  12. FateJH

The only way you could force the game to exclude your head hitbox from someone elses' client is if DBG has a model mesh problem with one of the helmet cosmetics and it makes that players' head invisible because no one's client knows how to draw it. That or a basic client programming error beyond the model-loading system; but, that would still affect everyone.
  13. WaffleMonster

What a lot of people don't tell you is that a large aspect of "aiming" is being able to predict where the enemy is (i.e good situational awareness and game sense). There's a very good reason why a lot of top infantry players use an expanded minimap (by pressing H) and have zoom in and out on their scroll wheel. A lot of people also have the terrible habit of switching off when they are running from their spawn to the fight. All good players exploit this and will try and catch you off guard (therefore winning the engagement before it even took place), in PS2 you should always be ready to fight regardless of where you are.

If you already have a strong grasp on where an enemy is, you can put your crosshair where the enemy's head will be when an engagement takes place which gives you an insane advantage. You can also change your angle to reduce the amount of aiming you have to do.

You should always try and make aiming as easy as possible and make as little mouse movement as possible.

When it comes to fov, most headshot centric players run 65-68 vFOV. Lower than that and you lose too much situational awarenss, higher than that and you reduce the size of the enemy's head (however a lot of good infantry players still run higher FOV's and still chain headshots).
  14. DeadlyOmen

Doritos.

I said in the early days, get rid of them.
  15. FateJH

[IMG]
  16. LaughingDead

The 1x on all guns is meant for 3 things.
    1. Takes up the least amount of screen (dear god why 3.4x scopes, why?!)
    2. Allows the user to aim at the same targets at different distances without adjusting their mouse settings>easier to aim when you're used to that one setting
    3. It's not iron sights

There are only a few guns that players consider putting a higher optic on, mostly the CQ bolters, but semis with the option are also valid but generally the 1x is going to feel better.
  17. WaffleMonster

For certain niche playstyles, 3.4x scopes can be beneficial, Nivx is a fantastic example of this. 3.4x scopes are also very useful on scout rifles and some AR's.
  18. Eternaloptimist

Agreed. I use 3.4x exclusively on my burst carbines and burst ARs which have an absurdly accurate long range shooting niche.
    Not being a great shot or having a good reaction time I tend to use 2x on auto weapons as a slightly bigger target tends to help when ADS. And high magnification sights on sniper rifles for really ong range shooting.

But I've used 1x when that is the only ways to get a red sight and it is not half bad, so maybe I'll be a convert (no, I'm not going to try to change my .ini file as I will porbably burn my house down :eek: ).
  19. LaughingDead

Again, certain weapons are justified. Take for example, risk verses reward of using a 4x verses a 1x in CQ and at long range with a CQ bolter. The 4x can more reliably make those adjustments to land the headshot, but comes at a hindrance in closer fights because it is an unnecessary amount of zoom. A 1x doing the same thing, may not be able to see as far but can still make those same headshots and be proficient in CQ because he is using a lower optic.
  20. DeadlyOmen

Do 1x go to sights faster than 2x?