Should I get an SMG?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Badname3073, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Badname3073

I already have a medium-long range carbine and a shotgun. Should I get an SMG too? And if so, what am I supposed to do with it? Thanks for your opinions.
  2. Kronic

A mid-range carbine, CQC carbine and a shotgun are all you need imo. I personally dislike SMGs.
  3. Marinealver

Depends, do you play infiltraitor? If so then SMG may be good. If CQB (not to mention ADAD) and don't use the ADS is your thing then get the SMG. But yeah shotgun tends to do more damage instantly when upclose and personal.

Also do you plan on spending certs of $tation Ca$h? If $tation Ca$h then try and wait for a bundle or sale to get the SMG you want. certs, well see what other atachments you will want to add to it to make it good.
  4. TTex11

As was already mentioned, if you use an infiltrator at all (or plan to in the future) then an SMG would be a good purchase as it opens up your options and allows you to be sneaky and have an effective CQC weapon. Good for those infiltrators that, you know, actually do infiltrating as opposed to sniping.
  5. Plague Rat

Pretty much what others have said.

Maybe if you want to try killing something while using jumpjets, drifter or otherwise, one of the SMGs w/ an advanced laser wouldn't be a terrible bet. Tends to be a bit more reliable than a shotgun (unless maybe you're using the auto-shotty) since the shotguns pellet cone's center can end up anywhere in that CoF circle, so even with a laser the entire round can be wasted, and a carbine's CoF would bloom too much after the first few bullets.

It's a niche as hell way to fight and liable to get you killed more often than not, but the SMG seems to take to it best, so maybe if you have certs or SC to burn.
  6. HeadshotVictim

try them out..
    if you like the handling: get one
    if not: don't
    easy
    get one for certs, spare sc for non faction weapons would be my advice (perhaps wait for a NS SMG)
  7. ChadJust

Its allways difficult to say if a weapon suits you just by testing in the VR Area. You need battlefield experience with it in my opinion.
    like the other guys said, if you plan to give the infiltrator class a shot by time, a smg is a good solution. i recently bought the hailstorm, just because i wanted to go for auraxium with another gun. its really not a bad weapon at all, but if you dont plan to play infiltrator besides, pick some carbine.
  8. HeadshotVictim

you can always trial them for half an hour and more (if you dont have to respawn)
    when you have characterslots open you can just roll a new char, trial again, delete char, create a new char, trial
    rinse
    repeat
    this should give you an overview how the weapon will handle when you got it.
    you have no attachments, but neither cyclone nor blitz really need much...(Cyclone I know for sure, Blitz is just a guess from VR training :D )
    VR training is good for me to check if I like the handling of the weapon, the reload times, ammo capacities, hipfire and stuff.
    Trialing it afterwards helps to know what awaits you in combat
  9. haldolium

I just love the Sirius feedback and it's handling.

I rather bought it because it is fun to use, not so much because I really needed it. Had it a bit on my engineer but soon reverted to the Pulsar C since it's way more effective for that class.

Still love to run with it every now and then on the LA and the Infi of course.

It's a great weapon, yet as most pointed out, rather your personal decision.
  10. ChadJust

ok, creating a new character to test a weapon is a different option, i dont really think thats the best thing to do, but if you are down with it thats cool. 30 mins without attachments ( advanced laser or forward grip is a must have for most weapons) + your character is fully uncerted ( no jetpacks lvl you are used too, no nanoweave etc...) dont gives the right feeling for the weapon, simply because you play under different circumstances. (lil offtopic here)
  11. LevonVeldspar

I'd say most of the time your best bet with LA is to get a shotgun. At the range where an SMG is strongest, a shotgun is stronger. However, the SMG isn't entirely useless. There are times & places where potshots from out of the way places can kill a lot of enemies from beyond shotgun range, and choosing and choosing an SMG over a Carbine might get you less kills, but still lots of assist XP and the ability to get into CQC quickly if the opportunity arises.
  12. Iridar51

Try to think like that: "If an infiltrator had access to carbines, shotguns and SMGs, what weapon would he choose?". I doubt many of them will say "SMG". It's a bad weapon, and they use it only cuz they got nothing better.
    • Up x 3
  13. LevonVeldspar

Its a better weapon for an Infil than for an LA because the Silenced aspect is more important to a cloaker. It doesn't mean SMGs are bad guns across the board. Some Infils might go carbine if they could to fight from longer ranges but the SMG would still be a better choice up close. As for Infils with shotguns, I'll admit that I'd use one if I could, but the idea is so ludicrous that if it were ever actually made possible I would abandon all hope for the game and quit playing. :D
  14. Iridar51

Almost all (if not all) carbines can be silenced, what's the problem?
    And I seriously doubt that any SMG is a better CQC weapon than CQC-oriented carbines.
    Edit: to make it clear, I don't advocate Infils getting carbines, all I'm saying is that SMG is not suited for LAs.
    • Up x 1
  15. HeadshotVictim

Different opinions in here.
    I think SMGs are well suited for CQC (better than the CQC carbines) but less good than shotguns.... there is a massie amount of overlap between shotguns, cqc-carbines and smgs.
    Just chooese the one better suiting your playstyle :)
  16. Village

Get the Serpent, or VX6-7.
  17. Boroming

i love the smg with adv laser on the LA. sure they lack a bit of the kick the carbine have, but the large magazine is amazing. for the sirius (50 rounds) it mean 3 kill without reload
    i'm 40 kill away from auraxium medal with the sirius, and if you are good at bursting it's not that bad from 50 meter either.

i tried a lot of weapon, but the importance of laser (even better adv laser) is essential to the LA. firing with a relativly small COF while JJing is that much important
  18. Wolfwood82

If you are focusing on CQC combat, just use shotguns. Staying out of longer ranged combat isn't that difficult and will only result in an occasional hopeless death if you are any good at it. Using SMGs or Carbines in close quarter situations will cost you your life a lot more often then being gunned down by someone from range.

SMGs are really only good at short ranges. "CQC Carbines" are better at short ranges and good at medium ranges. The only class that really benefits from SMGs is the infiltrator class.
  19. Mythicrose12

About the only perk from choosing the Sirius over VX6-7 or Serpent is the magazine size. For those that lack trigger/burst control, the two carbines will empty a clip quite fast. Those same people would still have half the magazine in the Sirius.
    • Up x 1
  20. Whiskey Victor

Yes. Why?
    • It's fun.
    • It's flexible.
    • Works on all your chars which is important for mastering it.
    • Make it your primary weapon across the board for a while and develop real proficiency.
    • Get the large magazine version.
    • Add a suppressor, advanced laser, and keep an IRNV sight on it for flexibility.
    • Don't be afraid to use it at range. You might not get kills often at range, but if that's all you wanted you'd be in a vehicle 24/7.
    I've purchased plenty of poor weapons -- an SMG is not one of them.
    • Up x 1