Should Headshots Prevent Revives?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Coltorl, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Vaphell

It works way better than it should. How would a pure squad of nothing but infiltrators fare?

ramboing in a blob and counting on green mages to allow you to continue your mindless rampage is not teamplay either. And you just said personal skill doesn't matter at all, numbers are everything.
  2. TomoB

No no no that would mean that medics wouldn't get their precious XP from each possible corpse, at least that was the reasoning why some didn't want flying ragdolls.
  3. Nwm

vanu weapons be like :
    shoot in the foot "headshot!"
  4. K2k4

I think that this would be an overpowered change which would ruin medics play and make the game less fun over all.
    • Up x 2
  5. Luighseach

It was just an idea. I play both classes and I agree that I feel like I earn the xp on my Engi while it feels given to me on my medic. I was just thinking of a way to add to the headshot idea. Overall I feel like making headshots unrezable, in theory, is a good idea would be annoying in practice.
  6. DeadliestMoon

Agreed. It's fine for a matchmaking based game like Battlefield 4, but not for Planetside 2.
    • Up x 2
  7. Tenebrae Aeterna

I'm still unable to support this, as much as I would like to. This has been suggested before as a means to further the role of snipers by essentially granting them the ability to provide an extremely significant impact by their presence...and it really would. The problem is that it would most likely result in a massive sniping nurf that we just don't need right now.

With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented into the test server for a few months to see if it couldn't be worked out...but it's definitely not something that can go in there for a month and then be released to live.

There's also a potential revamp of Medical and Restoration kits that I have been contemplating, which might ease the frustration of Combat Medics were this to be implemented.

Also, how would this even work in practice?

Would it be restricted to one-hit-kill head shots like a shotgun blast to the head, bolt-action sniper rifles, and a Commissioner to the head of an Infiltrator?

Or...

Would it simply apply to anyone killed by a head shot from any weapon?

I don't know...I'm really back and forth on this one. If it was ever tested, it should be trialed in the test server for a significant period of time, VERY significant.
  8. Coltorl

Any 167+ damage weapon can kill in 3 headshots.

And seeing a BR 1 without any attachments on the gauss saw managing to hit 3 headshots in a row takes some real skill.
  9. RogueVindicare

What if knifing an enemy corpse prevented revive?
  10. Dark Pulse

It'd give Snipers more role, but come on... snipers already can drop people in one good shot again due to the Nanoweave change. It'd also mean that some fights would degenerate into basically skeet shoots where you'd have a dedicated group of 15 people all trying to get headshots on this handful of guys.

The end result is it'd slow the game down and be incredibly annoying to the people getting sniped.

So no, gonna have to vote against this one. Eating a sniper round and dying from a OHK is punishment enough. A dedicated group of snipers could hold practically a whole push back anywhere they got good LOS just by headshotting.
    • Up x 1
  11. Coltorl

Infinite medic revives are still a problem, I think this will help curb some of it.

Bump for further discussion
  12. shd

As said a million times, only 2 things are needed:

• ability to "gib" a body (make it unrevivable) by doing additional damage to the revivable player
    • "insta gib" meaning no revives if a player takes a substantial amount of damage, a lot more then needed to kill him (amount to be determined)
    Or in other words, Wolf:ET :)
    • Up x 1
  13. Fang7.62

Thousand times yes, this would make sniper a proper counter to AV mana parties camping on hills that just revive engies on the turrets endlessly.
    • Up x 1
  14. Coltorl

The combination of your post and sig makes me wish I can do more than like your comment.
  15. Cinnamon

Headshots are already rewarded enough.

Maybe they could make the engineer tool cast a desecrate corpse spell on dead bodies that would prevent revive that takes the same amount of time to cast as the resurrect spell.
  16. Posh_Diggory

It would change game play but it wouldn't be bad, in fact it would balance out endless fights. The medics would have to heal more rather than wait for people to die, in fact, it that's how a medic should be played, revives in my opinion should be a rarity, not the other way around. It keeps medics more on their toes and actually paying attention for injured team mates and behaving like a medic.
  17. Huishe

That's actually a good idea. Hordes of medics reviving everybody make this game kinda boring. And i use medic sometimes myself, and i didn't use sniper rifles since forever, so i'm not biased.
  18. Nintyuk

Headshots no but gibbing or vaporising a corpse should deny a revive, a certain limit of overkill damage wild gib/tear apart the corpse for the TR and NC while Vanu would disintegrate at the same point. There could be new snipers speclised for gibbing upon head-shot.
  19. Dragonblood

Shoot infantry -> medic tries to revive -> shoot medic -> -> medic tries to revive -> shoot medic ->....
  20. Fang7.62

Buying me a beer I hope :D