Should Headshots Prevent Revives?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Coltorl, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Liquid23

I wonder if they did anything about pain... since, sure, healing fast is nice but if you have to experience the pain sometimes you will wish you had just died instead... then also we have the whole psychological issues...

I can't imagine a person going through the pain of being shot, stabbed, blown to chunks, immolated, smashed after being run over by a tank, crushed by the drop of a massive impact after being dropped out of an aircraft, or so on being very mentally stable after it happens repeatedly day after day... lol
  2. FateJH

Explosive weapons are used on MAXes far too commonly for it to be a method of denying revivals (for them anyway).

Landing headshots is also far too common from both Infiltrators and non-Infiltrators for denying revivals.

If the mechanic has to be included, it has to be something that isn't common enough that it happens constantly, but not so uncommon that you have to go out of your way to achieve it. It also has to be something that does not necessarily require physical control of the "corpse room," in which case you have already denied revival by presence, yet does have to be a specific and intentional action. A type of grenade that disperses corpses using nanites, maybe, and rewards support XP, maybe? What about a "post mortem damage infliction" system where you have to explode a corpse for a certain amount of damage to render the corpse not revive-able (only allies can tell, however).
  3. Iridar51

Headshots already are double damage and ignore nanoweave, now you want to put even more emphasis on them?
    Besides, what's the difference of being shot in the head and dying, or being shot in the leg, dying, and then being shot in the head?

If you want to limit revives; fine, but not with headshots.
    • Up x 2
  4. biterwylie

I think having a much slower revive would be good.
    • Up x 1
  5. biterwylie

Good point.
  6. Yuukikun

LMFAO preventing revive (or grenade) spams will slow the pace of the battle? LMFAOOO
  7. DukeFlash

Are you talking headshots only from sniper rifles, or what?
    (because headshot kills from small arms is actually pretty common already)
  8. asdfPanda

Only headshots from semi-auto and bolt action weapons. It would slow the pace of the game down too much if it were for all weapons.
  9. Degenatron

First, this sounds like a kick in the balls for snipers. Think about it - head-shot a guy and now you can't snipe the medic that would have come to save him. So...now what? Take two center of mass shots so the medic will come? Unintended consequences.

Second, now you're making weird mechanics changes that are hard for new players to understand. "I got killed earlier and got a revive, but now I can't get one? WTF??"

Third, what a HUGE nerf to medics. They are already an under-utilized class. Now you're going to do THIS to them?

And why? Because squads and outfits that use TEAMWORK make good use of their abilities? Frankly, whatever they are saying on reddit can be solved by good communication and coordination.

If the REAL problem is the use of overwhelming force, then the answer is to build in diminishing returns for lopsided attacks.
    • Up x 3
  10. Poacher

Actually, they do exactly what the developers want them to do. Headshots, nanites, cloakers, spawn tubes, ESF's that defy physics.....it's all fiction. It is a crying shame the biggest whiners ever get appeased but that's the world we made it into. The common argument is that a single headshot should kill, even if they invested in the top tier armor. Based on that logic getting hit anywhere by a single bullet should effectively remove most soldiers from the battlefield. This game isn't based on real life so quit ruining the game to make it fit your idea of what it should be simply to suit your needs.
    • Up x 1
  11. Liquid23

wha???????? medics are far from underutilized in my experiance... at least I've never seen them be across any of the multiple servers I play on... even if we ignore all the people who engage in organized gameplay (who almost all make good and frequent use of medics) and stick with random solo pubs there are almost always tons of medics around... not only do people absolutely love the ARs, which in many people eyes are some of if not the best infantry long arm, but even randoms are always trying to farm those revives... most of the time during battles I can constantly watch medics fight over revives, tho there are a lot who don't and just play the class as a medium assault for the self heal and AR

Hell most of the time I see more medics than LA or Infiltrators... usually just as many if not more around than engineers too... only infantry class I regularly see more of than medics are HAs
  12. Erendil

If I can be revived after being blown up by C4 or taking a 150mm tank shell to the chest, I sure as hell should be revivable after taking a (comparatively) measly sniper round to the head.

So in answer to the OP: No.
    • Up x 2
  13. Liquid23

how about no revives if and only if the killing round hits you in the crotch?
  14. vincent-

The day that planetside 2 won't ever see a cheater or hacker is the day that you can have head shots prevent revives. You're asking for something that can't happen even in the void of chaos.
  15. vincent-

Aimbots exist so there is no way this can work.
  16. I Keel You!

if people think rez-spamming is getting lame, what if medic guns can't res anymore, only heal... and they can't equip normal nades anymore, cuz they would have specialized rez-nades which cost 15 infantry and that'd be the only way they could rez. EVERY medic would cry if this happened. But it can't be so bad if rezzing gave the same XP as a kill, and if they rez a high-threat player, they get the same XP as if they killed a high-threat player.

They should triple TTK across the board for infantry vs. infantry (except explosives damage), double the respawn timer, and cut sunderrers' deployment radius by half.
  17. Liquid23

no
  18. Mootar

I think the current revive mechanics, with hordes of necromancers mooching around rendering mass death meaningless definitely needs to be addressed, but I don't think headshots preventing revives is the answer, with the way hit detection works in PS2 that just sounds like an exercise in frustration for all concerned.

I would like medics to have a finite supply of healing juice on their medic tool (5 revives worth for example), that can only be resupplied at a terminal, it would add some more skill/depth to the medic class, forcing them to prioritise who to res based on the situation and as an added bonus, would seperate the good players from the cert chimps.
    • Up x 1
  19. xanimosityy

Anything that increases the impact a smaller group of players can have for fighting off the zerg gets a +1 from me. As it stands you could defy all odds outnumbered 5:1 and one medic circle jerk later your back where you started. The revive grenades should have never made it into the game. If you want to successfully revive your squad it should require that you put yourself in the same danger they were exposed to and clear to room of remaining threats to safely revive not spam grenades through a window or around a corner.
    • Up x 1
  20. Vaphell

Something needs to be done with the mass necromancy. If the game is advertised with "we got strategy here", attrition is a must have. Dealing with scarce resources and attrition is the meat of strategy. When it comes to infantry play in this game, it simply doesn't exist which makes it a pure numbers game - throw enough bodies at the problem because anything less will be undone in 5 seconds by a horde of xp hungry medics.

I know Mustarde's opinion about snipers denying revives (it would be OP because he has no problem owning people left and right) but i don't agree. Is it really better to allow people to be rezzed and farmed over and over again than to put in a penalty that clearly gets the message across: "this spot is under sniper fire, you shouldn't be here in the first place". Most people have to feel inconvenienced to learn or they won't ever stop being bad. Pressing OK to accept revive is not it.
    • Up x 3