Shotguns Are Causing My Frames To Drop!!!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Roxputin, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Roxputin

I was getting a weird lag every now and then and I just thought it was the game acting wonky. It would come and go it seemed only in heavy infantry areas such as Biodomes. Again I thought it was just the games coding because the Biodomes are actually off the ground.

Today I was running around in the Rashnu and I was getting the lag again. My frames would go from high 80s to low 30s in the blink of an eye. I asked other players if they were having the same problem as me and most people just reported the same .."i always get 40s no matter what fight" or "no m8, my frames are good". So I figured it was on my end. My GPUs temperatures are always under 69 degrees but the GPU utilization was going from 98% down to the low 50s. Mystified. Until....

I noticed that when I was running with a shotgun, my frames would dip to the low 30s. I would switch to my pistol or the C4 detonator and my frames would go back up to the high 80s, Could a weapon cause frames to drop, I asked myself. I tried all the other weapons and my frames were fine.. Just with the PHOBOS VX86 and the PANDORA would my from dip down in the low 30s. Something is up/

If anyone else can test this theory out please report your findings here. I tried to take a video of the occurrence but my frames did not show up in video/
    • Up x 4
  2. Jezs

Stealth shotgun nerf
    • Up x 2
  3. Zumulus

I just tested it myself, and you're right. Standing at the warpgate with any other gun I get 80-100 FPS. I equip a shotgun and my FPS drops to 50-60. A buddy of mine tried it, same result. It might affect others too, meaning people using shotguns would lower the FPS of people around them, which would explain the massive FPS drops people are having since the latest patch inside Biolabs and other action-packed areas.
  4. Jezs

Probably is just the new shotgun reticle, no idea how bad you have to be in order to code something like that that causes such a framerate drop though.
  5. UnrealGaz

made a post about this last week not one reply but over 100 views and now people are seeing it. how ironic.

yes its a major issue
    • Up x 1
  6. Nate

Wow. Wow thats bad. Appears we are still in beta with us as unpaid testers.
  7. ShotMeTender

Same problem but not on my fps, just on my love for this game... -.-
  8. Gammit

I wonder if this is causing my hitching problem. Does it happen when others near you have shotguns as well or just when you have one equipped?
  9. Roxputin

that is a good question
  10. Zumulus

I think you're right. I did some more testing today and it really does seem like the new reticle is what is causing this issue. Tested with two NC shotguns, the Piston and the Sweeper. When the reticle is at its regular size (standing still, crouching, walking) my FPS goes from 120 to 50 at the Esamir Warpgate. The FPS drop seems to be stuttering as well, meaning the ingame FPS counter alternates between 50 and 100+ FPS every millisecond, favoring the former. Using a third-party FPS counter such as Dxtory who has a slower refresh rate for its counter displays a constant ~50 FPS. As soon as the reticle's size increases through sprinting or jumping, including the LA jump jets, my FPS goes back up to 120. When the reticle completely disappears when aiming down the sight, my FPS goes back up as well. This includes toggling off the user interface (CTRL + F10). The only thing I haven't tested is lowering the reticle's size using a Laser Sight.
  11. Zumulus

Update: Had another friend of mine test this and it turns out he only had a minor single-digit FPS drop. After testing a few graphics settings and comparing between the two of us, we came to the conclusion that the problem appears to be the Rendering Quality. When set to 1.000000 in the UserConfig.ini (or 100% ingame), the FPS drop is very small but still there. When increased to 1.410000 (2x oversampling), the FPS drop is huge. It would be nice to know if OP and the other people with this problem are playing with an increased Rendering Quality setting.
  12. Roxputin

[Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=1.000000
    FullscreenWidth=2560
    FullscreenHeight=1600
    WindowedWidth=1024
    WindowedHeight=768
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen
  13. JDS999

yeah i have been feeling this my framerates are low to begin with but from what i can tell, when shooting at someone or getting shot my framerates drop or stutter. never noticed it in the open holding a shotgun. but in battle this could be some sort of damage calculation problem that causes an anomoly of sorts. its not firing bulltes but many pellets every shot. so it acts like x pellets are firing and finding out how many pellets our landing or thats my theroy along with bad coding

edit i almost want to say ive flet this b4 the rectical update
  14. InfraRedPS

Yep I am getting this too, I don't watch my frame rate so I don't see it drop but what I do get is mouse lag when using shotguns. I thought it was a problem with the whole game at first until I realised that all the other weapons don't have this problem and it's a smooth as silk.

Someone in game said it was the new reticle too.
  15. Roxputin

Tonight I can confirm. Getting shot or aimed at by another player wielding a shotgun at close range does lag me out. My frames were at a steady 60+ in a decent battle at Crimson Bluff Tower and the TR were using shotguns. My frames immediately went down to the low 30s upon being engaged. This needs more attention by the coders./
  16. Zumulus

The bug is still present after today's update (GU07). Can't play with a shotgun when playing on a high resolution or with an increased rendering quality.
  17. Cross

The crosshair causes the issue. Turn off your HUD and you can see your FPS return to normal.

This bug also effects the MCG.
  18. Hatamoto

try disabling the HUD alltogether and see for yourself how badly coded these things are
  19. Hatamoto

Is Q&A even testing anything or just playing the game?
  20. ZaebashySoSOE

Is it bug or what ? Do you have the same icon bug on Uppercut ? Reinstalled game yesterday, still same buggy icon.
    [IMG]