Shotgun tips

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Leivve, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Leivve

So I normally roll with a pump action, and like yesterday or something I got the Nighthawk (full auto) and just completely love it. Went nighthawk ninja in a 1v7 and took the point, before walking out of the building triumphantly to here that psst sound vanu AI mines make.

I also got the Barrage since it was free, and the Haymaker, but I have less then 10 kills on both combined and have had no success with them at all. so can someone give me some tips on them specifically.
    • Up x 1
  2. _itg

The semi-autos aren't that different from the full-auto shotgun. They both have tighter spread than the auto shotgun, so you've got a bit more range. They both have a slightly lower RoF, so a miss is more punishing. Basically, the full-auto is going to be a little better at what shotguns do best, while the semi-autos will be a little more versatile.
  3. Iridar51

Semi autos and full autos are nothing alike, and should be used differently. With full auto you just get as close as you can, point the weapon in general direction of the enemy, and hold the trigger until you see the "killed enemy" message.

Semi autos can be used in the same way, but it's gonna be less effective. The optimal way to use a semi auto is sort of like you use a semi auto sniper rifle at range - you can spam shots, but it's less effective than taking your time and carefully aiming each shot.

Make sure your crosshair is on the enemy, and click once. Reacquire the target and click again. Repeat until dead. Don't spam shots, aim.
  4. Leivve

bah, no one got time for that. In a game where a LMG rivals a shotgun in close quarters stopping power you don't got time to realign the shot, why do you think i use the underboss instead of the commissioner.
    • Up x 1
  5. Iridar51

That's why semi autos will always be worse than full autos when used as buckshot shotguns.
  6. Leivve

unfortunately slugs have much to be desired too. You give up the close range power your gun is balanced around so you can operate at ranges it's not intended for.
    • Up x 1
  7. Takoita

Dunno, I've been running around with Barrage for the last couple of days and was having the time of my life. Gives much better chances against all them shielded heavies when you need to breach / protect a capture point. Although I have yet to try others for any serious period of time, so maybe there is some other shotgun out there waiting for me...

I have to agree that it's very easy to miss with the half of your magazine or more if you don't pace your shots though.
  8. Leivve

Since I'm to laze to start another thread, How is the Blackjack compared to the Uppercut? Is it different or just a different side of the same coin?
  9. ATRA_Wampa-One

Been enjoying the Baron lately to get my LA armor (only 445 left to go) and the extra range you get from it's smart choke is not only noticeable but makes getting shotgun kills outside of tower farms actually possible.

The auto shogun is good but only really in tower farms, and I really, really miss no bullet drop slug shotguns on VS or I would be using the Nova still.
  10. Neo3602

The Uppercut shoots faster than the Blackjack and has tighter pellet spread, but the Blackjack has one more pellet than the Uppercut.
  11. Iridar51

TBH if they had the same model you wouldn't be able to figure out which one you're using.
  12. Leivve

yeah I know. I use the uppercut, but I wanted to know if the extra spread the Blackjack rolls with would cause you to use it differently.
    Thx guess i'll look into picking it up when finish grinding the uppercut.
  13. Dualice

Not got the Blackjack yet but have the Deimos on my Vanu character. The wider spread makes it harder to miss, but you'll feel the slower fire rate/reload.

I prefer the narrow spread (Uppercut/Phobos) myself.
  14. Erendil

Aim for the head. It kills in 2 shots. 3 shots if it's a shielded HA. Auto-shottie + slugs + ext mag is devastating up close. :cool: Although semi-autos work almost as well.

But the last part of your statement doesn't make any sense to me. Slug shotguns are intended to operate at ranges farther than pellet shotguns..... That's the whole point. You give up a little close range power for increased effective range. Working as intended...
  15. Leivve

Slugs extend your range, but the actual gun itself isn't balanced around you having slugs. It seems more like they made the shotguns themselves and then added slugs on later.

There have been a few shooters I've played that do slugs "right" for gameplay diversity. Each shotgun was balanced and each one was different, from a recognizable pump to a single shot breach action. then when you put slugs on them they were like completely different guns each individually balanced for the game. So the pump action's slugs acted completely differently from the breach action's. Actually the breach action's slugs were so powerful they nerfed them and started balancing it along side sniper rifles instead of other slugs.
    In ps2 the slugs have a set damage profile depending on if you have pump or not. So it's a case of what firing and reload stats do you want when you roll with them. I mean I know why slugs are underpowered, because when you have something in the game that you don't have time to properly balance, it's better to have it be underpowered and no one use it rather then overpowered and potentially game braking.

I wish I could remember the name of that game I was talking about so I could reference any SOE mod that might read this to it, but sadly I can't. It's a very old F2P game, so I don't even think it's still operating.

Side note:
    Full auto with slugs with extended mag = Hard mode, so if you can make it work reliably I salute you sir.
  16. NoctD

I've started to try the pump action slug combo - and having no luck at all with it. I think I'd be FAR better off with a Commissioner and 2x scope on it honestly.
  17. Leivve

Find a angle people won't see or a good perch where you're overlooking the enemy and just snipe, aim for the head if you're in range for OHK headshots.

Extended mags and the first gen pump are the best shotguns for slugs.
    • Up x 1
  18. NoctD

I think I did try most of what you said - just didn't seem to gel or work right for me.

One time I was at Cairn Station at either the B or C point outer building, holding it trying to cap the base... that was with a HA, Claw with laser sight and slugs (Iridar's guide suggested it for slug shooting). Seemed like a decent enough situation to try out slugs. Another time was Andvari south, I was peeking over the hill right by the gen shack, at guys trying to cross the bridge to get to the A point building. That was with my LA, and this time I went with extended mags + slug.

That slow projectile velocity makes moving targets hard to hit I think. Both times I used a 2x reflex - maybe I should try a higher magnification scope?

The Jackhammer and narrow spread faction default shotguns I've used before, no slugs, and they just seem a lot easier to use.
  19. Iridar51

Pump slugs only work within 20m with OHK headshot or 2 body hits. This reliably kills any infantry unit, unless it's a HA with overshield. Any range further than that is wishful thinking. Just like you don't expect to be effective with a shotgun past 5m, don't expect to be effective with pump slugs past 20m. This is still close quarters, that's why I only recommend 1x Reflex and laser sight.

If you want to try "slug sniping", then you're better off with semi auto slugs. Those are 3 body hits within 27m on nanoweave targets. As distance grows, this upgrades to 4 shots against nanoweave targets, but stays at 3 shots for no nanoweave.

Slugs will never be as effective at range as dedicated precision weapons, like semi auto sniper and scout rifles, or even a battle rifle, but against specific targets it might work:
    • Up x 2
  20. NoctD

That's still really limited - I thought slug shotguns might function a bit like NC slug MAXes... they've got a bit more range to them, and the refire time between shots is less.

Maybe I'll just stick to bucks and try out the Baron - mainly its just to work on shotgun kills for LA directives, not interested in the shotgun directive itself.