Shotgun or SMG?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Minsc, Feb 6, 2013.

1. HeadshotVictim

definitely Shotgun
    Since they buffed the max dmg range up to 8 meters it is possible to kill people pretty easy with 1-2 headshots from a shotgun.
    For CQC to small ranges GD-7F, for anything beyond that AC-X11.
    Yes that makes it 3 weapons to learn, buy and cert into, but it is worth it.

SMG is something I will trial on Infiltrator, but I think LA are better off with Shotgun and Carbine
  2. SIVLEOL

The Cyclone also is slightly more accurate than the GD-7F ADS while moving and has the same bloom per shot, yet deals more damage per shot, making it generally more accurate unless you are ADS standing still. The accuracy just makes the Cyclone so much more reliable for me, since I know that a target I shoot at will die. As well, a Cyclone can equip a silencer, a shotgun can't. I don't like shooting one person and then having 3 people running around specifically trying to hunt me down.
  3. the pestimist

what shotguns cant have a suppressor that sucks then again it would be op.
  4. exLupo

The Barrage has the tightest pellet spread and reload so you can move from kill to kill and your range is a few meters more reliable. It requires tighter play but rewards it as well. Easier to get faceshot clusters, etc.

Auto fire and worst pellet spread
    vs
    High capacity and middle pellet spread
    vs
    Fast reload and best pellet spread

Take your pick.

Tho, in regards to this thread, either of the CQ carbines (adv laser) is going to do better overall than the SMG. Now, if you want to cross-class to a CQ Infil then I'd go with the SMG and save certs/smedbux then kit out a longer range Carbine instead. I've got a cq carbine, smg and shotgun and the first two play the exact same while the shotgun is more feast or famine. You either feel like a badass or like a wet blanket, no in-between.
  5. Mythicrose12

I have an Araxium medat with the Soltice, Serpent, Nova, and Pandora. I'll have it soon on the Erindi. I like teh Erindi (extended mag a must for me) over the Serpent but probably won't play much with once I have the araxium medal. Shotguns seem better suited to the LA if you don't mind showing up on the min map. Of course the Serpent or VX6-7 with silencer works, too, if you like to stay off the map.
  6. CptFirelord

Pretty situational, but I prefer the Trac 5 - S with the underbarrel grenade launcher. Especially since it can now be used effectively as a "mortar" of sorts. But yeah, it's all situational. I like my shotgun for close ranged engagements, and my Trac 5 - S for medium-long range engagements.
  7. CptFirelord

If you payed attention to his sig, you'd realize he's TR not VS.
  8. Corezer

For the NC, you may be interested in the Cyclone for its faster ADS speed, reload, lower STK and bigger magazine that doesnt waste all of it's shots if you go off target.

I havent used the erandi(sp?) so I can't really tell you.

For TR, there is no reason to get the Armistice on LA
    The Lynx already has the .75 ads speed multiplier, and the ammo of the smg with extended mags (and for 5 mags not 3 3/4) and they both reload slow anyway. The only reason to get it is for the novelty of having the fastest firing gun in the game.
  9. applecherry

shotgun is good :D
    [IMG]
  10. Mythicrose12

He wanted a general opinion which I gave him. Not sure why you decided to call me out on VS when there are others giving advice on NC weapons. It doesn't matter, though, seeing how the majority of people in thread all agree on shotguns over SMG (albeit this is a small sample size).
  11. gunfox

No, this is right. The Jag is the best TR Carbine for longer ranges.
  12. Mlatto

I have have auraxium medal with both, jaguar and lynx (+ Nighthawk aswell). I can tell you, the difference bewtween these two carabines is abysmall tiny. Sometimes they feel like the same gun. LC3 feels a little bit more precise. That's all. You can go "in people's faces" with both guns exactly to the same degree and win (or lose). After killing over 1200 purple and blue wannabe terrorists witch each, i can see a ingame difference of ~1% in accuracy.

I say: LC3 Jaguar for best overall performance, Nighthawk for max. fun.
  13. Wolfwood82

I find the SMG outclasses the shotgun rather well. Kill power isn't my major issue, my issue is dropping down behind someone who is running away and trying to chase after them waiting for them to stop. The SMG allows me to pick up that kill and move on without a fuss, and situations where I use the shotgun the best, the SMG does just as well.

In a strait 1vs1 fire fight, naw probably not going to win the day for you. However it is a very maneuverable weapon and, despite the ADS animation bugs, is very useful even without the adv. laser sight. I've got extended mag on mine.