[Suggestion] Shorter Fuse for Flashbang

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Armcross, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Armcross

For a fast pace class Flashbang taking too long to detonate, killing the momentum.
    • Up x 3
  2. Demigan

If anything the Flashbang is the one that needs to be explode-on-impact, not the EMP grenade. The EMP is incredibly powerful and outmatches the Flashbang in almost every way, removing radar, reducing vision (although not as much as a flashbang), destroying or disabling all deployables, removing shield and ability power and having no falloff in the entire (quite large) AOE. It even has some effect around and through corners!

Flashbang removes vision and has a falloff in it's AOE and any obstacle helps block the effects, and it has a fuse?
    • Up x 3
  3. Mezinov

Would be pretty cool if we could select, on every grenade, if it was contact or fused. Perhaps using the unused firemode select (default B)?

We know it is possible to have atleast 3 firemodes (Single, Auto, Burst) on a weapon without changing any existing code. Could be modified for Grenades to be Contact, 2 Second, 5 Second.
    • Up x 5
  4. Armcross

Just 1sec reduction should be enough.
  5. ColonelChingles

I'd like to see "anti-cooking" of grenades. Pretty much the longer you hold down the mouse button before releasing a grenade, the longer you set the fuse. Hold down the mouse for 10 seconds, and the grenade will explode 10 seconds after it is released. Simply tap the mouse and the grenade will explode on contact.

Anti-cooking works better than cooking, because usually in cases where you want an extremely short fuse you're in a rather short ranged, panicked situation. Likewise if you're setting a long fuse, usually you're not under such immediate pressure.

Long fuses would be rather interesting. Imagine a bunch of grenades sailing to the point capture room. Some explode immediately, but a few just sit there with their blinking lights. The soldiers who previously occupied the room don't exactly know when those will go off, so you achieve actual area denial.

Or for sticky grenades... attaching one to an enemy and having a much longer fuse increases the chances that they'll wander into a crowd of friendlies.
    • Up x 3
  6. Mezinov

This isn't a bad solution either, though it does require introduction of new code - especially considering we don't have a grenade cooking mechanic at all right now.

New Code means Poor Chance of Adoption.
  7. Armcross

But worth it
  8. Foxirus

The EMP grenade can only be used by one class that only has 900 health and broadcasts its location to all enemies within 300m when it uses its ability. I think it exploding on contact is a fair trade. Not to mention that you can't bounce it around corners. If you want to hit enemies with it, majority of the time you have to expose yourself to them so that you can throw it in their area.

I feel what they could do to fix grenades is that every grenade gets one bounce. After that bounce, The next time it hits the ground it explodes. If it does not hit the ground again within 3 seconds, It will explode via fuse timer. This would drastically shorten the fuse timer for pretty much all grenades.
  9. Armcross

3secs is too long.
  10. Demigan

This causes a pretty big problem: insta-death around corners. People would cook it for 0,5 or 1 second while standing on the right distance and have it instantly explode near doorways or cover. It would also give rise to cheats with Flak-based grenades that explode when they come within X distance of a player to insta-kill him.
    That aside, having frag grenades that are explode-on-contact would mean all grenades are OP as hell. Instant-kill or instant-heavydamage on any enemy? Especially handy for bringing instant-death to any player behind cover. Sticky grenades are already powerful because you can place them exactly for better damage (and their incredible extra power), frag grenades with explode on contact? Bye bye game.

Flash grenade can be used by one class and broadcasts it's location as well. Neither has a very large broadcast at that but regardless the EMP grenade has far more advantages than the Flash grenade.

Maybe an idea for some grenades, but I would not put it on all of them.
  11. Movoza

I have a radically different opinion. I use the Infiltrator mainly as a CQC guy. It isn't a "decloak and everyone knows you're there". It is a "an Infiltrator is in the area" for a select few people. Regardless of that, they are powerful in a zerk too. Scanning for enemies and short, medium, long and very long range support. Then a grenade that has the most uses? Instant detonation, meaning less preparation. Medium disruption of vision, complete disruption of the HUD (radar, health, ammo, doritos), draining of temporary abilities, disruption or destruction of deployables AND disabling of shields. All this without lessening of effectiveness the further you are from the blast. 5 categories that it does pretty well in, except the vision disruption. Against a flash grenade that needs several seconds before exploding, meaning more preparation time and more chance enemies dodge the grenade. It's effects are..... Only twofold. Only complete vision disruption and sound reduced. No radar or dorito disruption. All the hud is visible.
    The vision effect even tapers off the further you are from the grenade. It is hopelessly outmatched by the concussion and EMP grenades. A "100 less HP and ability can be heard" is a way too weak argument to upgrade the grenade so much, in my opinion.
    • Up x 1
  12. Foxirus

The EMP grenade is not getting an upgrade. It was buffed a few months back because it was underperforming compared to other grenades. So as it being too weak an argument to upgrade it further? It is, Because I am not arguing that it needs to be upgraded at all. The EMP is perfectly fine the way it is and needs no buff. It also does NOT need to be nerfed in any way or form.
  13. Movoza

I'm not talking about upgrading it. It is currently an upgrade relative to the flash grenade. The thing does need a nerf, as it is the most versatile and powerful grenade in the game.
  14. Foxirus

It isn't the most powerful. An EMP alone cannot kill players unless its assisted by nearby explosives. But hey, Lets go with your argument. The most powerful and versatile grenade belongs to one of the weakest classes in planetside 2. Why is it the weakest?

Cloaking is a joke.
    Stalker Cloaking limits to secondaries only.
    The sound can be heard within 300m.
    900 Health, It can be one hit killed by anyone weapon that does minimum of 450 damage.

And you can't really say its a versatile grenade. Only ONE CLASS CAN USE IT. There is nothing versatile about that. I have to pull an infiltrator if I want to use EMPs? Thats not much versatility.

As for the flash bang? I wouldn't mind them giving it the explode on contact. It has always pissed me off how I can throw a grenade and it roll past everything.
  15. Movoza

I'm talking about versatility in individual grenades. Restrictions to classes is a different kind of versatility and the flash grenade is also only available on one class.
    I don't agree on your opinion of a Infiltrator, but those are just that. Opinions. Also, the EMP grenade does do damage, the flash grenade none. Few grenades can kill people, so for a special grenade the EMP rocks.
    To make it clear:
    Frag grenade (can kill)
    Sticky grenade (kill)
    AV grenade (kill)
    EMP grenade (damage and 4 other things)
    Flash grenade (vision and sound impairment)
    Concussion grenade (vision, movement and turn impairment)
    Heal grenade (healing of friendlies)
    Revive grenade (reviving)
    Smoke grenade (vision impairment)
    Decoy grenade (distraction)

3 kill grenades and 7 special grenades, of which the EMP has most uses and effects while also doing damage.
    • Up x 1
  16. Foxirus

Good thing it can only be used by the one class that needs it the most ;D

Otherwise, Oh no, You might have an argument. But only one class can use it. Its a grounded class that doesn't have the mobility of the light assualt and has less health. So if you want to get on fair terms, Yeah, The flash bang isn't as useful because the light assault has complete mobility and can go ANYWHERE it wants to. So again, The EMP is perfectly fine. Show me the stats to say otherwise.
  17. Movoza

Well there we simply disagree. I'm on my phone until my PC comes back, so getting stats on the LA and inf is difficult. Still, hell of a job just to keep to your opinion without backup and just continuing to do so until proven otherwise.
    Glad we at least agree the EMP is stronger than the other special grenades.
  18. pnkdth

Why is it relevant that only one class can use it? Both LAs/Infils have unique tools to move in ways other classes can't. A decent infiltrator can outflank in ways no other class can, and we have access to the Wraith Flash which applifies with ability.

My gripe with the EMP is that the radius is massive in relation to how many fights takes place in relatively small areas. Chuck an EMP through a window and you've taken out the shields and HUD of everyone in there. I still use them though, my standard loadout is max rank bandolier with EMPs, whatever weapon is appropriate and med kits. Basically, I hide in plain sight and act as a force multiplier to my allies(covering flanks, laying down EMPs to assist an advance, recon darts/sensor, etc). My observations from this is that EMPS are too good at disruption.

I don't want some mega nerf, just a reduction in radius there is more aiming required to make them work rather than simply throwing them into a room with guaranteed results.
  19. Foxirus

Again, Show me some stats that show the EMPs are over performing. When more than one class can use them, We can talk about nerfing them. But for now, Its an infiltrators tool that fits its class perfectly. It needs no nerfs. As for you saying its a throw in a window and you've blinded everyone? You can still see through the effects. Its the same effect with a flash bang. Through it into a window and you have just entirely blinded everyone within range of that grenade.
  20. pnkdth

Since you seem so firm, and quite confident, in your position I assume you have a wealth of stats to pull information from. Would you mind sharing this with the rest of us?