[Suggestion] Shield Beacon

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gemenai, May 27, 2015.

1. Gemenai

So i was just reading the AMSR thread on the wishlist, contemplating which side would give up first - Scr1nRusher or those against AMSR for infiltrator. I was about to go sleep, but couldn't stop thinking about the sweet AMSR and the fact, that for the time being only engineer would get that thing.
    That reminded me, that although engineer is a support class like the medic, nearly noone is using it ( it seems to me) and even i would most of the time rather choose medic over engineer, if i'm not driving a vehicle or have to lay down some AV mines.

In this whirlwind of thoughts i got an idea - why not give engineer a shield beacon?

This shield beacon would behave just like the shield regen bubble of the medic. It would replace your [F] - button ( keep in mind, that you could still throw ammo due to changing the firing mode on your turret before placing it)

This beacon would create a dome like structure, which would grant everyone in it an additional resist bonus to small arms fire damage. Starting with additional 3,5% up to 10%.

This shield beacon would have a 5 step certline:

1 - granting access to the beacon itself, with 3,5% additional small arms resistance

2 - increasing the area, covered by the shield dome

3 - further increasing the small arms resistance to 6,5%

4 - further increase in covered area

5 - further increase of the small arms resistance to 10% and enableing additional high powered capacitores
    Due to the extra capacitores the shield beacon is now capable of generating an extra layer of shield near the
    ground surface. This extra layer can completly stop any incoming small arms fire, providing cover for every
    crouching infantry unit.

This shield would only work against small arms damage/ direct hits. Thrown objects like C4 or grenades would go through the shield. But in case the explosion is happening outside the shield, with its explosion radius longing theoreticly into the shield, every unit behind this "hard shield" would be safe. Also units with a hight advantage could still hit you, although you are behind this "hard shield".

This shield beacon device would further strenghten the engineers role as defensive supporter, while also providing this strength and his fire power to his comrades on their advance on the field.
    In addition with the shield regen bubble of the medic class, two players could create little mobile safe camps on the field and on the walls of a base while defeding it.

Feel free to comment your thoughts and/or worries about this idea.
  2. Ballto21

But then people would have less of an excuse not to play support instead of crutch assault!
    • Up x 2
  3. JohnGalt36

I play engineer almost exclusively nowadays. I like the idea, but I think Engineers should be able to deploy a shield that is physical cover. Much like a turret is a small obstacle you can hide behind. Not anything too big, but something one MAX or a couple infantry can hide behind that has a limited amount of HP. I think that would add a lot to the Engineer's gameplay.

You could even add a small EXP gain to damage absorbed by the shield while people are behind it.
  4. Ronin Oni

This was an item long ago scrapped because of potential of "griefing" with people blocking foot traffic...

Of course, they could just make it allow players through while blocking bullets/shells/rockets...

I'd use it.
    • Up x 1
  5. JohnGalt36

That's a good point. I always forget to account for people being ___ty when coming up with ideas. I guess I could see hallways getting clogged up pretty fast if you couldn't walk through them. It would be hilarious for a while, though, especially if you had tons of engis spamming them.

I like the OP's idea better now!
  6. BlueSkies

Scrap the idea. Nothing can be allowed to infringe upon the majestic beauty of the CrutchAssault!
  7. Gemenai

Well with the "hard shield" you would gain with the last rank, there would be such an obstacle. Well it would function like one , without body blocking anything besides small arms fire.

The hard shield would be blocking bullets/shells/rockets.
    Sorry if this wasn't pointed out clearly enough - english is not my mother tongue and i'm a bit tired as i'm sitting here ;)

EXP income would be generated by dmg midgated and the damage blocked by the "hard shield". There would be a limit/time as with the medic shield bubble or the cert gain through ammo packages.
    • Up x 1
  8. Krinsee

Another Idea would be a passive Nanaite repair field bubble. Something that would repair vehicles and maxs at a set amount.

Say cert tree goes something like this 2/4/6/8/10% repair while vehicle/max is not receiving damage.
    Timers would have to be short but like the medic bubble would be unlimited quantity but you would have to redeploy often.
    Timers would have to be something like 30/35/40/50/60 seconds lifetime. And it would need to replace something important like the turret (same slot as healer ability iirc)
    • Up x 1
  9. Pelojian

A repair bubble is a better idea i think. they should copy the ranges the shield regen device uses per rank so they are the same size with a different bubble graphic. the bubble should be intended for use primarily by maxes (hence not larger then medic regen device) but can still repair vehicles in a pinch.
  10. JohnGalt36

I think Engineers should be able to construct giant MAX suits that are 500m tall, then hop in and roll around Esamir, crushing MBT's and entire bases of infantry with impunity, swatting galaxies out of the air, and vaporizing sunderers with laser eyes.
  11. RedArmy

this was the original shield beacon from combat medics - it was changed to increase shield regen due to this feature cuaseing people not to leave the area
  12. RedArmy

these are BFRs, TR Collosus, NC Peregrine and VS Ultra-Man Wanna be
  13. JohnGalt36

I had to look those up. Never played PS1.